New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doc_Dent, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Jeep just made a 6 spd all electric Wrangler concept called Magneto. Not sure what it's it like but it must be interesting.

F2003-GA likes this.
  2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    To hell with electric, its that simple, not going to happen in my lifetime, thank God, I will be scooped up off this rock at just the right time, dont worry about electric, because this country by that time, will be futile to try and live in !! lol

ago car nut likes this.
  3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    99 % of exotic cars owners will never shift their cars at 6k RPMS, never mind 8k, different strokes, you know the saying. I have rode and driven in the mountains and canyons in So Cal for 30 years, and I can count on 2 hands the times that I saw a Ferrari or any other exotic for that matter being driven there , thats 0 % for all intensive purposes, so theres that, so 8k on the streets, I dont think so . Just my opinion , based on my experience.

Thank you.

papou likes this.
  4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I love my Scalextics slot car set, thats the only kind of electric car that I will ever drive !! lol

Thank you

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I can only imagine the fun I would have in a 488 GTB with 6 Speed gated gearbox ! Are you kidding me, that would be insane !!

Thank you

6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Lambo

7. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    How about both Steven :rolleyes::)

Shark01 likes this.
  8. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    A few days ago, a good friend and I were talking about our time racing Parches against each other and I asked him if he ever did a lap during a race with every shift made perfectly. He honestly said no. I agreed. Every upshift is at 8K rpm and every braking zone is done with threshold braking. It is extremely difficult to get shifts, up and down, perfectly done every time in the heat of battle. We were amateurs, although good drivers. I had three club class championships and came in 2nd nationally in PCA GT3 class once. Hurley Haywood taught me to heal and toe!

My friend now drives a 458 and I have a Scud. We agreed paddles are much better for performance driving than three pedals. We drive on FCA events and another club where the driving is more spirited. We both shift at redline frequently and downshift aggressively. Doing so with 3 pedals would only add to the risk. A missed downshift can blow an engine or lock up the rear and cause a spin.

I occasionally drive the wife’s Boxster GTS with a stick and its fun but not to go fast. So, after 50 years of driving sports cars with 3 pedals, I am a permanent convert to manual automatics. Nothing like flicking a paddle with WOT at 8,500 rpm in a Scud!

LVP488, spirot, DrStig and 2 others like this.
  9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    It would need to be super slick, like DCT slick, (unlikely) because the turbo lag on every gearchange would make it horrible

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #35 ginoBBi512, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    I dont think so much, if they designed the motor not to spool up as fast as it does, its not necessary for the street, it just like with my Ducati V4s. it revs to 14500 , but its as streetable as it gets, the motors today, as in the Porsche Turbos have just about 0 turbo lag. F1 brought to the street only goes so far, and its way past the sell by date for the road. How often do you hear a 488 or 458 driven the way its designed to, never, everyone I see and hear are short shifting the cars, same with the McClarens. I know where the roads are where you could take these cars to the limits, and no ones on them, ever, its that simple, so all this F1 stuff, with the motors spooling up like a blender , is just not needed, or used for that matter. Im sure a 488 can do 100 MPH in 3rd gear, and thats not going to happen with 99.9 % of their owners.

Thank you

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If more people ordered their car with a manual transmission we wouldn't have this discussion. How many are complaining about the "non-originality" of a 6-speed conversion or the high priced cost of conversion?

Based on all the high miles and cars on Copart I'm over here laughing at all the owners who "drive" their cars at 8k. lol.
    Ferrari does a very good job of selling a car that makes people think they're a better driver than they are, until they're not. :)

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Said another way, build cars for the real world.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Said another way, build the cars that people buy.

technom3 and Texas Forever like this.
  14. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, yes and yes but it will never happen. Sadly, full electric followed by autonomous will be in the near future.

15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

The truth is, most people who own Ferraris, are not good drivers at all, its that simple, present company excluded.

Thank you

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Well yes... But if it didn't spool up as quick it wouldn't make the power as quick which blunts overall performance. Can't see Ferrari doing that. As soon as you back off the gas to shift gears boost drops causing lag. DCT fixes it by being so quick the revs don't really drop. I've driven quite a few manual turbo cars, some better than others but all have had lag of different degrees through the gear changes. If Ferrari was to bring out a super modern naturally aspirated car with a manual trans, that would get my attention. I could never afford it though...

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  17. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Nobody is saying that a manual is faster than a DCT, we're saying its more fun. For a weekend car I want it to be the most fun, the most engaging, and you get that from a clutch pedal.

I think Ferrari will make a manual again. I'm sure they've noticed the premium the 430 6-speeds are selling for. They'll be able to make it a special edition or whatever and charge a fortune for it. Just look at how Porsche did it with the Speedster. Unfortunately that will also mean that they will just get squirreled away in collections and never driven.

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe the EV is not going to be the cure all people think.

ginoBBi512, Shark01 and Doc_Dent like this.
  19. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    #44 Doc_Dent, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    And soon enough after the SPEEDSTER, they realised how enthusiasts really want a true "Man-Tr" so they equipped the GT3 with a manual option!
    Rumours about GT3 RS having same option as well (opening up the doors to expect GT2 & GT2 RS to follow the "Manual" path too).

20. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Frankly, I believe AutoMakers are capable at the moment to develop some sort of "new Gen" manual transmission systems that overcome all past driving "limitations/Cons/speed/practicality" compared to "automatic/semi-automatic/DCT/PDK or what ever you like to call it" if they put their minds into it!

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    To answer the OP's question - no.

Ferrari was the company that pioneered paddle shift manual transmission, in F-1 in the 1989 Ferrari 640. That is where the whole genre started is with Ferrari and that car - John Barnard was looking for a way to reduce the tub diameter, and leaving out the gear shift linkage and penetrations into the carbon tub was easier and made production better. also reduced some weight ... not much. that is how it all got started. Ferrari actually had a version of this "on the shelf " from back in the early 80's but it used a button on the gear shift vs paddels. it was Barnard who saw this and used that as the basis for his system. he introduced the hydraulic and electric system... most of the early trouble was not with the gear box, but alternator belts snapping or falling off and no electrics ... took them a while to see the vibrations.

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    That the new corvette has a DCT and no manual transmission.. its right there. If they don't offer it to the old guys that drive 55 in their sport car in the rare occasion when it's not in the garage.. that tells you all you need to know. Ferrari won't offer another and if it did there would only be like 3 that would be bought anyway.

Boomhauer and technom3 like this.
  23. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Well said, !! The truth be told .

Thank you

24. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    What comes to mind, is my want for an America Muscle car, so high HP with a manual gearbox, normally aspirated , this being the most primitive of cars with power. It does not matter that the motor does not spool up like a blender, you can have loads of fun, feeling the torque and the power. Ferraris do not need be engineered with motors that "make more power or all their power through superfast reving motors, " but they can make the same power through high revs that build in a more linear way , so we get to rev to 8500 RPMs . but not like a blender, same as the older cars , DCT gearboxes are never used the way they were intended, by , 99 % of those who own cars with them, its that simple.

Thank you

25. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    #50 Doc_Dent, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    A pure American muscle car with high HP output and 3 pedals is a great thing ofcourse.
    But frankly, having it in that pure image without the tweaks "that European Makers did a great job developing their cars with" in order to control and get the most of your high HP seems a bad idea I guess.
    You will get the satisfaction, great feeling of power for sure, but you need to be a really "and I mean a REALLY" good, seasoned yet highly skilled driver in order to be happy controlling the wild horse you are riding, and even if you are, most probably you will hit the wall of limitations cuz of the lack of technologies you miss "in which you would definitely hope you have" if things went out of control on such car.
    American supercars generally are great for sure, sound is great too, designs are nice, got enough power and BIG engine blocks to make you proud,
    but are they easy to tame = control = get the best of them?
    That is a whole different story IMO...
    Thank you,,,

ginoBBi512 likes this.