Bahrain 2021 Pre-Race Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bahrain 2021 Pre-Race Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Mar 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The 3.5 liter formula is my favorite era.

Bas, jpalmito and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Makes me think of all the new cars. Everything has gotten bigger. I believe the medical term is Obesity.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    You just need to watch the on-board of Mansell at the wheel of the ‘90 car in Mexico and compare to today’s drivers.

If it wasn’t for the need to keep their left hand on the wheel to operate the downshift paddle I could imagine them driving with one hand and with the left elbow out the cockpit.

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Everything has gotten bigger. I believe the medical term is Obesity.[/QUOTE]
    True, that includes boobs too :)

Bas likes this.
  6. DF1

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-verstappen-mercedes-testing/

Max Verstappen thinks he knows what Mercedes were up to in pre-season testing – and has not been lulled into a false sense of security.

Mercedes’ difficult three days in Bahrain was unexpected considering the ruthless efficiency with which they have won the Drivers and Constructors’ World Championships for the last seven years.

But they lost the vast majority of the first morning’s running due to a gearshift problem and the following day, the car had to be transported back to the pits when Sir Lewis Hamilton spun and beached it in the gravel.

In addition, and although times in testing are rarely representative, Mercedes appeared to lack their usual pace – especially compared to Red Bull duo Verstappen and Sergio Perez.

However, the Dutchman claims to have knowledge of the World Champions’ run programme and is not allowing himself to get too confident of repeating his dominant victory in the most recent F1 race, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, when the new season begins in Bahrain next week.

“They are indeed fast,” Verstappen told Dutch broadcaster Ziggo Sports, quoted by RacingNews365.

“We could see what they were doing on the data. They drove their first fast lap with less power. Then they drove two quiet laps, followed by a second flying lap. In that, they won half a second on engine power.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Verstappen is also not reading anything into the more significant of Hamilton’s two spins, which the seven-time World Champion admitted was down to a driving error caused by a strong gust of wind.

“The wind had turned 180 degrees from the first day and in that corner you always got a bit unsettled,” said the 23-year-old.

“We shouldn’t look too much into it. Maybe Mercedes were a bit off with the set-up on the first day, but the last day it looked much more stable. They also scheduled two filming days in Bahrain before the first grand prix.”

Verstappen also gave his take on how he perceives the order going into the curtain-raiser on March 28, believing last year’s leading three teams currently occupy those positions again – albeit he will be hoping for a reversal between the top two.

“I expect we and Mercedes will be close to each other,” he said. “Behind that it is difficult to predict, but I think McLaren are the third team.”

mcimino and ingegnere like this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Balanced view from him. I do think Red Bull are much closer. Lets hope close enough to mount a real challenge.

stavura, jgonzalesm6, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don’t wish RB to win however I DO wish Mercedes to loose...

Isobel, Bas, Robb and 3 others like this.
  9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Last words from Antonini ( journalist and former scuderia member):
    A relative optimism appears within the Scuderia after analysis of the Bahrain tests. They think that even behind Mercedes and Red Bull, Ferrari can play regularly with McLaren and Aston Martin.

crinoid and ingegnere like this.
  10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    #35 crinoid, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Accepting third as victorious (although third is not even a given) is NOT to the caliber of The Scuderia. Harry Binotto Potter better figure this crap out. Although ALL is not in his control. Realistically though I do think Elkann’s video message was rather stark in regards to his intent for The Scuderia to win. Also another rather stark message to F1 is Ferrari’s newly formed LeMans R&D team.

11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree 100% but last year was so traumatic that I will almost be happy to see our cars resist every straight line against the whole peloton.
    The Le Mans decision is a smart move made by Elkann ( yes !)

Sharknose, DF1, fil and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Binotto : we continue to try to understand what we couldn't understand the last 2 years.

13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Binotto :
    Dominicali told me to stay calm and analyse datas :D

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I hate you, Red Bull.

That said - Win and put Mercedes in their place...

Robb, fil and ingegnere like this.
  15. DF1

Will be interesting to see who 'adapts' the fastest/best as drivers have moved to new teams!!

Ricciardo still adjusting to McLaren brakes with MCL35M F1 car

By: Jonathan Noble
    Co-author: Luke Smith
    Mar 22, 2021, 5:11 AM
    Daniel Ricciardo is hopeful he will be able to pull off some trademark late-brake overtaking moves in Formula 1 soon, despite having not yet got on top of McLaren’s brakes.

The Australian is renowned as a great overtaker, and has caught out many of his rivals with well-judged late moves as he controls his car on the limit of adhesion.

But his trademark moves depend on him getting totally comfortable with the brakes, something he has not yet managed to do at McLaren over the pre-season test.

Taking time to adapt to the brakes was something he faced at previous team Renault too, but eventually he managed to get totally comfortable in order to be aggressive with his overtaking.

Now he is going through a similar learning process after joining McLaren this season.

“It is certainly different again,” said Ricciardo about McLaren’s brakes. “So, I am still probably adapting or adjusting to that.

“I think going now from Red Bull to Renault, and Renault to McLaren, probably the braking, it's maybe the biggest thing which you need to adapt.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Daniel Ricciardo, McLaren MCL35M

Photo by: Steven Tee / Motorsport Images

“I think that is one as well where I'm still trying to get on top of it and understand where the limit is of the car. But yeah, I think generally, like in the past couple of years, it looks like they've [McLaren] had a pretty good car on braking.

“So I think that once I'm up to speed, it should be a pretty good one. And hopefully we’ll see some good passes from me again. Some late ones.”

Although Ricciardo feels he still needs more time to adjust to the different characteristics of the McLaren car, he says one thing that has impressed him is how well the team itself works.

“I spent a fair bit of time at MTC [McLaren Technology Centre] in February, so I feel like I got that process done, as far as figuring out not only the names of people in the team but how they operate,” he said.

“They’re certainly a professional outfit. I think they’ve got some really good processes in place. They’re well structured, a lot of the meetings and that, and pretty efficient. It’s been good. I’m enjoying my time here.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ricciardo-still-adjusting-to-mclaren-brakes-with-mcl35m-f1-car/5844944/

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. Struppi

Struppi Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    Germany
    That is just minutes before filing a protest to the FIA requesting "all teams to be banned from development or testing of any parts or compontents which follow the 2022 rules of the FIA Formula 1."
    Plus the suggested footnote to "excempt ze team leading ze 2021 Constructors Championship" from that test ban.

"It should be fery clear that all ze teams have to take ze 2021 championship very seriously and not abuse it as a test scenario for a set of rules and regulations yet to come for something in ze future."

nsxrebel and Bas like this.
  17. DF1

18. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    DF1 likes this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    mcimino and DF1 like this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In a few days, the bull**** will stop, thanksfully !!

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Pirro and his axe to grind with the Scuderia. What a looser.

classic308 and Isobel like this.
  22. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    This seems to be the smallest pre-race thread in my F Chat memory. No rush of photos as the track is being set up. Are there going to be people in the stands? Is everyone still going to wear their masks? It seems so bizarre to go racing cars in that have not really been tested. Is this the last season for HAAS?