Pierre Gasly interview ( Hubert, Red Bull etc) | FerrariChat

Pierre Gasly interview ( Hubert, Red Bull etc)

Discussion in 'F1' started by jpalmito, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Thank you.

jpalmito likes this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The way he tells the immediate aftermath with Hubert is very sad.

--

I believe he's heading to Alpine in 2022. No way does anyone light the fire with a top team...The Red Bull was a tough car to drive, but it was the same for both drivers. There is no way that Red Bull intentionally held him back. There is no way in hell a car that poorly is designed with 1 driver in mind. A car that's not easy to drive simply isn't fast. Max could handle the flawed car. I don't know what Gasly refers to as ''changes'' that took weeks to implement but it sure looks like whatever he suggested didn't work anyways, as he was always miles off the pace.

Max did get parts earlier in some back to back races but those don't account for such big differences, and the difference was calculated in with Red Bull anyways. With 1 guy being clearly the better driver and their only chance at podiums and even wins, what did Pierre honestly expect? Give up the chance of glory or podiums so the guy trundling around in 8th to move up a place?

He's clearly much happier in the Toro Rosso, a car that suits him. Albon drove the RBR a little better than Pierre could, so clearly the problem was with Gasly not the team. Red Bull had nothing to gain with a badly performing 2nd driver.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you...

Senna1994 likes this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    One can only agree with you.
    Max is clearly a better driver.
    Nevertheless something does not fit in the human management of Gasly by Red Bull. I remain convinced that a confident Pierre Gasly in his car is superior to Albon and Perez.

ricksb, Nembo1777, eric355 and 2 others like this.
  5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes I agree with that. I'm not sure what happened for Gasly to have suddenly switched on like he did on his return to Toro Rosso.

But from Red Bull's perspective I also understand it, Gasly wasn't performing, Verstappen showed that clearly the car was capable of doing much better, and Red Bull has the luxury of a 2nd team they can pick drivers from. They had to do it. It proved to have been a pointless exercise as Albon wasn't much better. Now lets see what Perez can do...even if the car now is an easier to drive car, which will of course distort the pictre.

6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Max in the 2019 Red Bull reminds me of Schumacher in the Benetton B194.
    A midfield car without its top driver.
    One thing is certain, Gasly is mentally very strong.
    I can’t believe the comeback he made.

375+, Nembo1777 and Bas like this.
  7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep absolutely on both fronts.

Gasly especially with his very good friend passing, it's not easy to get in the car the next day and go for it...also considering that that was his first race since his sacking from Red Bull. I like the guy.

I do wish Toro Rosso would invest in a better microphone when he starts screaming from excitement. My ears still hurt:D

Nembo1777, 375+ and jpalmito like this.
  8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Red Bull needs to figure out how to move the car in the direction the 2nd driver wants so that they get more points from fielding 2 cars.
    It has been happening to RB since 2011-- one leader, one also-ran.

ricksb likes this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull has such an advantage over the midfield, finishing 2nd or 3rd in the WCC is pretty much a non issue for them. Their eyes are on the big one: WDC. Their car hasn't been fast enough to challenge for the win regularly, so concentrating on the 2nd car is pretty pointless. Even if the 2nd car was much more on pace, they wouldn't have won titles...likely a few more wins, but if ultimate performance was negatively affected in chasing a more drivable car...nothing is gained.

10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Max is a top tier pro though. Could go down as an all time great. Pierre is decent. Not the same level. This was a beautifully written piece, though.

Bas and jpalmito like this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/does-gasly-have-reason-to-be-sad-and-frustrated-over-his-red-bull-snub/6671989/

He would make a nice replacement at Aston for Vettel. Vettel is strongly rumored to be out after 2022. Gasly would be well experienced and is fast. No other trophy former F1 WDC's are around for Stroll to hire. He needs a bit of speed and youth to move forward.

Does Gasly have reason to be 'sad and frustrated' over his Red Bull snub?
    By: Luke Smith
    Sep 21, 2021, 9:31 AM
    When Pierre Gasly retired his AlphaTauri car three laps into the Italian Grand Prix, it ended an impressive run of form for Red Bull's sister Formula 1 team.

Before Gasly's retirement and Yuki Tsunoda's failure to start the race at Monza, AlphaTauri had been the only team to score points in every race this season, putting it in the hunt for fifth place in the constructors' championship.

A large part of that contribution has come courtesy of Gasly, who had failed to score points in only three races this year prior to Monza. While rookie team-mate Tsunoda has spent time getting up to speed and ironing out mistakes, Gasly has emerged as AlphaTauri's undisputed team leader.

His performances this year have been excellent, the most notable display coming in Baku when he charged to third place. Gasly sits third in Autosport's average driver ratings for the season to date, his average of 8.1/10 leaving him behind only Lando Norris and Max Verstappen (both on 8.5).

It therefore made it strange that, amid all of the driver market chatter in silly season, Gasly's name hardly ever came up. It was simply accepted that, as the game of musical chairs unfolded, the Frenchman would sit still. There would be no return to Red Bull, nor any chance of a move elsewhere.

Confirmation that Gasly would be remaining with AlphaTauri, issued by the team on 7 September, came as a surprise to nobody, particularly after Red Bull's earlier announcement that Sergio Perez would be staying for a second season in 2022.

But it did leave many wondering what the future would hold for Gasly - including the man himself. He has often talked about the hope that his outstanding displays for AlphaTauri, the obvious highlight being his Monza victory last year, may lead to a return to Red Bull. After all, as a member of its sister team, there is undoubtedly the ambition and hope there would be a path up to the senior squad.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Pierre Gasly, AlphaTauri AT02

Photo by: Charles Coates / Motorsport Images

It was something Gasly spoke about in an interview with French broadcaster Canal + at Monza. Gasly noted he was having "the best season at Toro Rosso and AlphaTauri of any driver since they started in F1 in the last 15 years", but was "not being rewarded for going higher".

"It's true that it's sad and a bit frustrating, on the one hand," Gasly added. "But on the other hand it's just the way it is, these are things that are out of my hands. Unfortunately it's not up to me."

Much of that frustration comes from the way in which Gasly was cast as being a poor fit for Red Bull during his 12-race spell at the team in 2019, prior to being replaced by Alexander Albon during the summer break. Gasly himself would not sugarcoat his performances through that time, having struggled to match Verstappen's form across the garage.

But while Perez's extension into 2022 may suggest he has been the answer to the Red Bull second driver 'problem', Gasly made note of the Mexican's recent performances during the interview.

"It's true that when you see the performances, especially last weekend in Zandvoort, when he was taken out in Q1 and finished eighth, one lap behind his team-mate, and was the driver of the day, there are certain things that you don't really understand," Gasly said.

Perez has spoken openly about the difficulty of getting up to speed with Red Bull's RB16B car, with its tricky concept and aggressive driving style suited to Verstappen making it hard to get on top of. It's the same challenge that both Gasly and Albon faced when they were at the team.

Pierre Gasly, AlphaTauri AT02, Sergio Perez, Red Bull Racing RB16B

Photo by: Zak Mauger / Motorsport Images

The points comparison does reflect favourably on Perez. Through the opening 12 races of the 2021 season, he picked up 104 points with a best finish of first in Azerbaijan. In Gasly's 12-race stint at Red Bull, he picked up 63 points, and only finished as high as fourth at Silverstone.

But it is worth noting the differing circumstances. Perez is racing in a more competitive car that should be in the top four every single weekend, such is the advantage of Mercedes and Red Bull. In early 2019, Gasly had the added challenge of Ferrari to battle against, giving him greater competition and thus making it harder, in theory, to pick up points so regularly.

That said, the gap to Verstappen - who faced the same outside competition - is greater. Gasly scored 34.8% of Verstappen's points total in their time as team-mates in 2019. Perez's haul equated to 52.1% through the same number of races.

In announcing his new deal for 2022, Red Bull boss Christian Horner talked up the "seamless" fashion in which Perez has integrated himself with Red Bull, acting as a good team player. This was seen no better than at Paul Ricard when he helped Verstappen en route to victory. He's been doing what the team has needed this year.

The new regulations in 2022 should remedy some of the traditional concept challenges posed by the Red Bull car, giving Perez a chance to reset. At Spa, he spoke of the "massive opportunity" on offer next season, given all of the drivers will start from zero.

It does little to soften the blow for Gasly, though. He continues to sit in a holding pattern, waiting for an opportunity to arise despite currently performing at the peak of his powers. To be a Red Bull-contracted driver without an obvious route right now to Red Bull is a tough pill to swallow.

But again, 2022 will also offer an opportunity to Gasly. If he can continue to lead AlphaTauri and make the team his own, he can again stake a claim for a seat with the senior squad - or elsewhere, should a chance arise. If his case is so convincing that Red Bull wants to bring him back for 2023, it could be ideal timing: the car may be more drivable, and Gasly himself will be that much older and more experienced that the first time around.

Pierre Gasly, AlphaTauri

Photo by: Glenn Dunbar / Motorsport Images

Horner spoke at Monza about Gasly, saying he could "never rule anything out" regarding a potential return in the future.

"He's driving at a very, very high standard," Horner said. "He's still very young, he's doing a great job, so for 2023, we have multiple options available to us. When you're in the situation you are, that's exactly what you want."

The challenge for Gasly will come if that route back to Red Bull does not open back up again, for the other top teams appear to have their futures well set for now around other young drivers. He is clearly flourishing in the AlphaTauri environment, and is building good experience as a team leader.

Gasly is accepting of the situation though, recognising it is currently "out of my control".

"I can only concentrate on what happens and continue to give my best for the team and for myself," he said. "I'm sure it will pay off in the future with an opportunity in a top team."

If Red Bull does not want him long-term and an exit route emerges for Gasly, he would have a convincing argument for a seat at another team. He's a team leader, a race winner, and establishing himself as one of F1's most consistent performers.

12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Gasly testing the 2020 at Imola today.

There's a YouTube video if anyone wants to upload it here. At the end of the video it shows a tribute to Senna's statue.

absostone and Flavio_C like this.