360 - Ferrari 360 Front Lift Support Investigation and cross-reference | FerrariChat

360 Ferrari 360 Front Lift Support Investigation and cross-reference

Discussion in '360/430' started by Albert Penello, Aug 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    So the lift supports for my frunk are getting a bit weak. Not so bad that they need to be replaced urgently, but enough I want to get ahead of it.

OE Ferrari struts are still available, but a bit expensive. at ~ $38 each. I did some homework to see if there was a functional alternative so I would keep my OE units and replace with a functional working strut for daily use.

So I did some homework, which I wanted to share with the forum if it's useful.

The OE Ferrari PN# is 63701800
    These struts are made by Stabilus (with Stabilus branding all over them) and the Stabilus PN# is 8252RD.

Looking up the specs of that strut, it looks like (inconveniently) it's a specific part just for Ferrari, as I was unable to cross-reference that part with another car. However, I did get the key specifications from the Stabilus site which we will use to find a replacement

Length: 276.5mm
    Force: 200n
    Stroke: 98mm
    (compressed length 178.5mm)

(or in SAE)
    Length: 10.88 (10 7/8) in
    Force: 45 lbs
    Stroke: 3.86 (3 7/8) in
    (compressed length 7in)

So now we search! As said before, there is not going to be an exact match for this or the Stabilus number would have cross referenced. However, what's most important here is to get the correct force, AND make sure you're close in the stroke/compressed length of 7 in. You don't want to bottom out piston in order to close the hood.

So the good news is looks like there are a couple options that I was able to find.

First, is the LiftSupportDepot
    SE110P40S10-W

This is nearly identical to the OE unit. The extended length is 11 in, and the force is a little lower @ 40lbs, but compressed length is the same as OE so this should be an excellent replacement at only $18 each. It has the metal ball/claw ends like the Stabilus units.

If you don't care about the ends, the SE110P40-W has the plastic ends but the same spec as SE110P40S10-W. You can get these for $29 shipped for 2 on Amazon.com

The only other alternative is the STRONGARM 6918. This looks to be close to the same as the LiftSupport specs, with 11in extended length, 35lbs force. The only concern is that is that it appears the compressed length is 7.42 inches, and I'm not sure what the actual compressed length is in the car. I'm guessing the .42 inch won't matter.

Personally, I'm going to try the SE110P40-W and report back since they are available on Prime. Since I'm not going OE anyway, the ends don't really matter.

mb5, Performify, brookliner7 and 2 others like this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis

3. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    hessank, brookliner7, RedNeck and 2 others like this.
  4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Good stuff man, I sure do love cross reference threads...

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Great timing, as mine are getting pretty weak.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you for sharing this! Mine are fairly weak and several times the hood has sagged enough to hit me in the head. No problems at all with these?

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G930P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Nope! They work awesome!

kes7u likes this.
  8. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    armedferret likes this.
  9. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    There’s a thread here for the 430 version. Apparently the latest iteration for the scud requires only one ! I bought two and have a backup.

Easy peasy.

80136300 F430 (LATE) BONNET STRUT 80136300 2
    2 were 57 usd delivered from Ricambi

Oh yeah and this thread is very useful to reference

Gas Struts for Front Hood/Boot Lid
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=9080&share_tid=595223&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eferrarichat%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fthreads%2FGas-Struts-for-Front-Hood-Boot-Lid%2E595223%2F&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I have a 99 360 and ordered these, but noticed the part number was missing the W at the end.
    Not sure what W denotes or stands for but these definitely don't fit.

Good thing I only wasted like 35 bucks so not a big deal.

Oem ferrari are $277 each from ricambi.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my LM-V350 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
  12. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Mine have failed over the winter as well, so I was looking for replacement options and found this thread.
    Something odd though... for the Modena, the part number is as in post one of this thread, cost about £17 in the UK
    For the spider, despite seeming to be identical in the cutaway diagrams, the part has a different code and is over £200

Is that correct, or are the parts interchangeable between spider and modena?

13. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #13 brookliner7, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021