430 - Oil overfill F430 | FerrariChat

430 Oil overfill F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Marcoboxer, Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I finally got around to looking inside the air box/MAF area to see if overfill caused any long term issues. The pic is what I found. I haven’t driven the car recently due to lockdown. One time (immediately after the overfill) I had a pretty decent cloud of oil smoke upon starting it. I’m not making any other point beyond sharing what it can look like. I assume that’s where the oil came from. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. smirtes

smirtes Rookie

Mar 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Mirtes
    I am curious, did you end up extracting or cleaning the intake or did this oil eventually ingest and get burned. Was there any damage from this overfill?

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #3 mike32, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Best not to go more than 1/2 way between the low and full marks on the dipstick with engine running and oil in the 85 to 90 C temp.
    Any oil in the air flow meter or the throttle body- i understand you need a special cleaner for these, not standard degreaser spray

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I keep mine at the bottom of the line since by the time I get the car into the garage, it's cooled down a bit. With all the oil in the system, overfilling is the main danger.

As for cleaning after overfilling, the MAF should be considered toast but the throat of the throttle body should be easily cleaned with a lint free cloth. No need for solvents. If this is a long term problem, the oil will work its way inside the throttle body and then the throttle body should be replaced or expertly cleaned.

5. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I just cleaned it out, I did not try to burn it off. I really haven't had much opportunity to drive the car. It is running (occasionally) rough. I'm not sure if it's old gas or the MAF's. I'm guessing the first for sure.....and likely I messed up the MAF's. I'll try to take it out this weekend and report back with how it felt and any codes it's throwing off.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You are dipping it with the engine running ? It will be fine half way

7. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I started it but didn’t drive. Left idle for 5 mins, something else took my attention. Codes show P0300 and P0301 thru P0304. Misfire on left bank. I’m assuming I messed up the left bank MAF.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Actually, before I head down the route of 2 new MAF’s, what’s the collective wisdom here? Only left bank showing misfire, but on all cylinders. In full disclosure, the gas is too old to be considered good & I struggle to believe all four spark plugs and coils went bad simultaneously.

I can move MAF from left to right to see if problem moves with it (which will be my first step) and figure out some way to dump half the gas and refill with fresh.

On the assumption the MAF’s are fine (easy to diagnose as above) is there an obvious place old gas gets gummed up to cause a misfire on one entire bank?

M

9. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Do you have a way to clear the codes? If so, I’d clear the codes, put fresh gas in it and drive it.

EastMemphis likes this.
  10. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    How old is the gas and why do you assume that it is bad? Does it smell like varnish?

11. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I did clear the codes. In the interest of maintaining information for those that follow...I use a Launch X431. Codes cleared immediately. I'll get some fresh gas in it and go for a drive....taking my X431 with me :)

12. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Good question, I just assumed from age (over 6 months) that it would be bad or heading in that direction. I'll update with a sniff test later tonight. I did not put a fuel stabilizer in there.

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    6 months is nothing really

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Get the correct maf cleaner and give that a go

15. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Hey Mike, when you say correct MAF cleaner....is there something specific I should look for? Asking out of pure ignorance.

16. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    If it runs OK, then gas is OK. 6 months should be no problem since you mentioned that the tank was almost full. If the gas was really bad, you would know it.

Marcoboxer likes this.
  17. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I went down the same road with a misfire code thinking it was the fuel but it ended up being a spark plug. The oil overfill may have fouled a plug. Mine just went bad for no reason.

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Your thoughts of switching Maf would probably be the right next move

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

19. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Google MAF cleaners and how to do it. One article mentioned certain MAF units on Lexus and a couple of other different type MAFs that common MAF cleaners should not be used but my guess is that CRC and other brands would work just fine. Looks like the MAF must be removed from the intake to clean it correctly.

Marcoboxer likes this.
  20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have not had to do this but i saw a tv program and they were making the point that degreaser sprays were thewrong thing to use and special maf cleaner was available

Marcoboxer likes this.
  21. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
  22. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019