458 Sound system quality | FerrariChat

458 Sound system quality

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by neilbaker86, Feb 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. neilbaker86

neilbaker86 Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Neil Baker
    I have noticed various people mention how relatively poor the sound quality of the audio system in the 458 is, even with the JBL upgrade, so I've been working on my own car to improve things, which I'll post details of at a later date.

However, there are two things which I've discovered so far in my car which aren't great for a car costing this much.

My car has the standard audio option. And it seems Ferrari have managed to wire the left and right speakers the wrong way around. I've used various 'left-right speaker test' videos on YouTube playing from my phone via Bluetooth to a Bovee connected to the iPhone connector. And all of them indicate that left and right on my car are swapped over. So OK, this isn't the end of the world, and I will also test this with an MP3 file via the USB socket just to make sure it's not a Bluetooth/iPod connector issue. But I would at least expect a manufacturer to get that right.

Secondly. I have a speaker polarity tester, and they have also seemingly managed to wire both of the rear speakers out of phase. The fronts are fine.

Can someone with a Bluetooth adaptor check their car on a left-right speaker test? I'd be interested if they are all like it. Just search on YouTube with your phone connected via Bluetooth and it should play through the audio system.

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    2014 458 Spider with regular stereo -- same left/right issue you describe. I plugged a Bovee into the iPod connection and played a couple of "left right speaker test" videos off YouTube and the speakers are reversed.

Rob

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. neilbaker86

neilbaker86 Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Neil Baker
    Thanks Rob. Mine is a 2011 458 Italia. I will do some further testing as mentioned.

4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I have a 2010 458 and the audio is dismal. I don’t want to do any serious upgrades that require ripping off the dash because I’m afraid of rattles happening, but a simple one to one replacement of a few components like the easy to access speakers to easily increase sound quality would be nice. Is this possible and what components can be used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    what are you guys whining about? 458 has the best stereo. Just step on the gas and roll down the windows. What are you expecting the 488/F8 owners with JBL can do!

Just kidding. Getting bored... since I have been vomiting with the new gt3 look.

6. neilbaker86

neilbaker86 Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Neil Baker
    I'm working on several audio-related projects for the 458 at present. I'll share some pictures and details when my own project is finished. I should be able to supply the parts to enable easy installation for others, which all just screw or connect in place of the originals.

I have also found a fix for the swapped left/right audio on the iPod connector (minor point) which I'll post details up soon.

RoadRonin likes this.
  7. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    I noticed my 2012 Spider has two less speakers than my Italia. No rear speakers

8. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thank you SO much. What components are you using?

9. neilbaker86

neilbaker86 Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Neil Baker
    Focal ES165KX2. I have also made a mid-range mount for those of you who already have the JBL system. So you can also use the Focal ES165KX3.

I am also working on a bracket which will secure an Alpine amplifier and DSP and should hopefully fit behind the dash above the battery. Along with sourcing all of the audio connectors for the existing loom so nothing has to be cut, and making an audio breakout box so it can be plugged in line with the existing wiring connected to the factory head unit. Everything will then be as plug and play as you can get without having to cut wiring etc. The door mounts screw in place of the originals, and have foam to seal them to the door and prevent rattles.

3D printed woofer mount, which incorporates the all important 'umbrella above the top of the woofer inside the door to stop it from getting wet:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Custom 3D printed tweeter mount to replace the small plastic mirror cover.

Both fitted (cross-over mounting to be finalised):

Speaker foam rings to seal woofer to door to create a proper enclosure:

More on the entire kit soon!

GT2goneF, SVCalifornia and RoadRonin like this.
  10. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    This is just spectacular Neil. Please keep us updated. I will certainly enjoy any opportunity to purchase this kit from you when it’s ready!

GT2goneF likes this.
  11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  12. neilbaker86

neilbaker86 Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Neil Baker
  13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry about the delay. I had major surgery a few weeks ago (cancer) and the recovery has been rough.
    I wasn't trying to patent the concept, I applied for patents for my particular designs for my 458 pods, 360 pods, 430 pods, 488 pods, 599 pods. But hey, no worries my fellow F Chatter, feel free to print parts. There are a couple of very large outfits (whose names I won't mention) with Chinese manufacturing backing that had me worried enough to protect my designs.
    By the way, fantastic craftsmanship and design on your goodies!

MANDALAY, GT2goneF and neilbaker86 like this.
  14. neilbaker86

neilbaker86 Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Neil Baker
    Sorry to hear that you have been unwell and had a rough recovery. I sincerely hope things go well for you from this point onwards.

Thanks for your kind comments :)

Best wishes

MANDALAY, SoftwareDrone and GT2goneF like this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Blessings!

MANDALAY and SoftwareDrone like this.
  16. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Scuderia Audio is the best. They are the GOLD STANDARD in Ferrari aftermarket audio systems.

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  17. dbosada

dbosada Rookie

Jun 17, 2021
    Austin
    Full Name:
    David Bosada

I just purchased my second Ferrari. A 458. I am audiophile and i was shocked by the sound system. Granted, this car is all about the symphony that comes from the engine bay, but my other car (a Lusso) has an amazing sound system, not to mention all the electronics and conveniences that any modern car has. The 458 is way more fun to drive. So, i replaced the door speakers with a pair of Focals, we reused the original base, just made a couple of cuts. My question to you is what size of speakers i need for the back corners. Looks like mid range 4 inches. I really like your setup.