458 - 458 squeak when low speed 5mph and under - help! Video with sound | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 458 squeak when low speed 5mph and under - help! Video with sound

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Mar 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Looks like about 5-6mm left from what I can see. So, given that new pads start at 10mm, you're at about 50% pad wear there. If I'm not mistaken, the metal backing plate for the pads is 5mm thick.

How many miles on the car and/or pads?

I'd probably start thinking about installing new brake pads sooner than later. You don't want to push things too far, especially once you reach about 5mm left with the pads.

Ray

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Try doing a few hard stops and see if the noise changes. Get the car up to about 30 MPH, then do a hard stop - repeat that 3 times. Then get up to 50-60 and do 3 hard stops from that speed as well. Let the brakes cool down for a few minutes, then do one or two hard stops from maybe 80 MPH or so.

Then while the brakes are still warmed up, see if the noise goes away for a while at low speeds after that.

Ray

3. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    I would get a floor jack and raise one wheel at at time. Rotate the front left wheel with your hand and see if you can recreate the sound just by rotating the tire. Since the noise occurs at 5-7 MPH, you should be able to spin the tire by hand and get that kind of speed. Then move your jack and try the same on the front right hand wheel. Keep doing that till you've done all four wheels or found the source of the squeak (which ever comes first).

4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Okay guys- so I just did this test with heavy braking several times at various speeds and the squeaking at 7mph during slow rolls is completely gone! So this is definitely a brake issue. Just parked the 458 for the night so I’m curious to see if the problem is back in the morning when I do a cold start and then drive it. Will report back in the AM! Thank you Ray!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RayJohns likes this.
  5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Good deal. At least it's not something serious like a belt or anything. Perhaps your pads were just glazed up a bit and/or not retracting fully.

You're probably due for new pads soon anyway (based on how thick the current pads are). When you install them, I'd suggest cleaning the slots that the pads move back and forth in real well and put a tiny amount of this grease in the channels:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBH9HI

Or this one; I also use this one a lot; it would work well here too:

https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Extreme-Fluoro-Syringe/dp/B002L5UL92/

Ray