355 - Secondary air delete | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Secondary air delete

Discussion in '348/355' started by spaghetti_jet, Feb 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Weld a cap on -- super simple. And use copper anti-seize on the threads. That's a giant nut in a place with plenty of room to get on it square. You won't have a problem getting it off.

2. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes, that’s what I’m thinking of doing.

3. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Can you source a 15/16" cap nut? That would be 23.812mm and perhaps you could open that up to 24 x 1.5? Or maybe 7/8" would be easier? Just depends if there is enough material to drill and tap to 24

4. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So I had a rummage about in the garage to see what I could do with the tube nuts. I found a couple of dome headed bolts that fitted into the air pipe nicely, so welded up & filed down.

I looked at all my high-temp paints and found some “zinc” spray and hit it with that.

I’m going to give them a try and see how they hold up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    nice work, the finished item looks great

spaghetti_jet likes this.
  6. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thank you, they turned out better than I expected but I reckon they will look a bit rough after a few months because I doubt the coating will take the heat, but if they work OK over the summer then I'll probably send them out for electroplating next winter.

7. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Exceptional creativity to get around your issue! I love seeing this type of thing for our cars.

I think the part is far enough away from the main heat of the headers that 490* C (over 900* F) should be sufficient to protect the paint.

8. DutchLA

DutchLA Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2021
    Chino Hills CA
    Im doing this now also with my fabspeed headers install