LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale? | Page 17 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ale55andr0, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    It's not only the bridge: all the street has Michele Alboreto name. At Maranello (and some at Fiorano too) many streets have pilot's name: the one that leads to Fiorano track main gate is "via Gilles Villeneuve".

Do a trip with Google Earth at Maranello and you fill find many: they all are not far from the Factory

ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #402 of2worlds, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    I remember Brenda telling me about the Gilles Villeneuve memorial there back in 1983. There is much to see in Maranello, thank you Alberto!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Albert-LP and jpalmito like this.
  3. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    Agreed, it needs to be around 6.5 litres

4. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    **** this stupid hybrid trend

9nb likes this.
  5. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    With this technology it is equivalent to a 4.5 Turbo, so a 6.5 is not necessary

6. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Let’s see...I think there is a very interesting problem Ferrari has to solve...If it wants to enter prototype racing in the Hypercar category and be competitive, I very much doubt it can do it with a V12, especially a non-hybrid one. Too much weight, too much complexity, fuel consumption etc. A competitive race car will be V8 hybrid in my opinion. If the race car is V8, will they do the same for the street version that they will need to build for homologation? Possibly...
    So perhaps the next hypercar will a road version of the race car and the light unassisted V12 is reserved for an Icona that is based on the same chassis technology but plays on a retro theme like a P4? Getting two hyper cars, one being a new “LaF” and one being the street version of the race car seems improbable.

Just thinking aloud, I have absolutely no idea what Ferrari intend to do....

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. Alvega

Alvega Rookie

Jun 2, 2005
    It's an interesting challenge for Ferrari in the Hypercar categorie:
    . LMH race car
    . LMH road car
    . La Ferrari successor
    . FXXK successor

I wonder if they are thinking about usining a common architecture for this vehicles, and then different engines for each one.

polishhammer83 and 9nb like this.
  8. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    copy of my post from https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-announces-lmh-factory-program.637554/page-3 thread

scenario 1- lmh would borrow design cues from the next laferrari and most probably will use the new v6 if though next laf uses a v12.

scenario 2- a ground up design with v6 later some road going homologated hypercars and it may not replace the laferrari but a different hypercar.

scenario 3- ground up design with no road going hypercar version

but initially the fia-wec told- "at least 25 cars equipped with the engine and 25 cars equipped with the hybrid system must be produced by the end of the year after the climax of the first season in which they are used in the WEC. Those figures rise to 100 units after the end of the second season".
    we have to wait and see

9nb and Alvega like this.
  9. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
  10. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019

flat 6 and we have a deal :p

...also, why you talk about of "equivalent"? the power must increase (laferrari successor, I mean), not remain the same with just a different way to achieve it

11. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Why not a V6 twin turbo hybrid based LMH car given its fuel efficiency and weight, a V8 SF90S based Icona and a V12 based LaF successor with a coupe and an Aperta version.
    This strategy would probably let them maximise their revenue. Three distinct hyper-cars based on three distinct engines each generating $1Bn+ in revenue and enough product to satisfy all top and VVIP clients globally, sounds like a win-win to me.

Alvega likes this.
  12. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    What is new V12????

13. titanio360

titanio360 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2013
    As cars all continue to grow, I believe that the manual 360 modena will become the "new" dino. I mean just look at how similar the interior styling is. What do you think?

14. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    how light does it have to be?
    valk is 1050kg with a v12, hybrid and 1,160hp
    t50s is 850kg with a v12, 725hp

15. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016

LMH program doesn’t require a road version of the prototype. But for sure it would be great if Ferrari could produce a road car version!
    You are right the V8 or V6 TT hybrid would be the logical choice but LMH will be a BOP class then I hope they will use the new V12 from the next Laferrari in the LMH, considering that the BOP could make up some deficiencies.

16. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Neither of the two cars would be that competitive in the LMH category in my opinion, unless their LMH version is a lot more extreme. Remember we are not talking sprints, we are talking endurance races... if manufacturers thought that going V12 was a good engineering choice they would have done it. Instead you see a trend towards engines with far fewer cylinders

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Well the 48 volt isg counts legally as hybrid, albeit mild hybrid, to be honest is a wonderful tech, removes the need for belts, pulleys, alternator, starter, complies with legislation, with the coasting laws 100% cars will do much less co2 during tests without cluttering the engine with emission equipments, and the kicker is, a engine with it will make more power and can be quite a bit lighter in the process.

simpen, Ale55andr0 and of2worlds like this.
  18. babgh

babgh Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    The hybrid system in the FKP37 is a really good innovation imo. It doesn't take too much wieght due to the supercap and it doesn't need an electric motor for the front axle thus making it lighter. The only concern for me is the brake feel because it uses regenerative braking to charge up the supercap. But still I would rather have a non-hybrid motor because of its complexity in repair and maintenance of the whole thing. Plus lightweight is king.

of2worlds and simpen like this.
  19. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    porsche won't making a 918 successor before 2025 https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/porsche-rules-out-hypercar-flagship-2025
    and mclarens p1 successor projected to come in 2024. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mclaren-successor-p1-hybrid-hypercar-coming-2024#:~:text=McLaren%20has%20already%20started%20work,that%20it%20will%20be%20electrified.
    if the above mule is really a laferrari successor mule and estimated to launch in 2022 , then it won't be like the last time when the holy trinity from ferrari, porsche and mclaren compete with each other. instead laferrari successor has already competition available from mercedes and astonmartin. will it outplay these two in looks and in performance ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    it's possible ferrari have something up their sleeves but the bar is being set so high by the valk and t.50 etc that it's going to be very very very difficult for them to have a distinctive car

21. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    A 6.5 is necessary in order to get a lot of torque, not just power.

Ale55andr0 likes this.
  22. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    A 4.5 Turbo have more torque than a 6.5 NA....

23. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I dont think they will launch 2022. The next Icona will probably come in 2022 and it would look odd if they do 2 big launches in the same year...My guess is the will launch in 2023. In any case I would be very surprised if Ferrari try to take on the Mercedes and the Aston with this car. These are much lower production cars with 3m+ price tags. Ferrari probably want to make a car at 2m max and produce 700 copies (coupe and convertible). I am sure it will be a great car but less extreme in tech terms than the Valkyrie and the Project One

The big question is Ferrari’s strategy around the LMH racecar. WIll the road version be the LaF successor (hard to see given that a competitive Le Mans car is unlikely to have a N/A V12) or will it be a separate ultra-expensive car that competes with the Valkyrie and Project One? Will the LMH car be a race version of the second Icona? I cannot figure this out yet, it is a tricky one

JagShergill and JackCongo like this.
  24. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    One doesn’t stop the others.
    If they make a road version of the Le Mans prototype, it should be produced in only twenty copies i guess.

25. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Agree...in which case they can go after the Valkyrie with that one and price it above 3m

jpalmito likes this.