348 Engine blew 367 days after last major... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

348 Engine blew 367 days after last major...

Discussion in '348/355' started by axarunner, Mar 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Just remember that many forced in the engine increase like RPM squared. So from 6k to 7.5k means a 56% increase in forces on the conrods, bearing journals, etc.

epb0, Extreme1 and axarunner like this.
  2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've taken 50 year old lycomings to redline all the time lol. Its a engine, not a hip lol.
    In the 355, as soon as the oil is up to temp, my motor sees 8500rpm... A lot.

At least johnK not alone anymore in the never over 6k club.

And what's the difference between a piece of metal that's been subjected to 25% vs 50% of it's allowable stress?
    It's designed for it, it's all well inside the envelope.

DBomb117, VAF84, axarunner and 5 others like this.
  3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Fatigue life. Wear limits. The higher stressed part will fail sooner. Valve guides, for example, wear out faster when run at high RPM, as do bearing and seals. Headers fail sooner because at higher RPM they are subject to more heat. Timing belts, water pumps, generators, cylinder liners..... What ever the design conditions are the expected life will be greater is the design limits are not routinely hit. And then there is always the statically variation and a part fails to meet the design spec.

epb0, axarunner and Targatime like this.
  4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Sounds like you're talking about the 355. :)

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I was about to say! Dude just had his Ferrari blow up on him, cut him some slack!

I'm skeptical of the over rev hypothesis. Sounds more like a tensioner issue to me. If 7,000 is grenade territory mine never would have made it to the next owner

Maybe seized H20 pump - would that cause this kind of failure in one of these engines?

axarunner likes this.
  6. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Owning a 355 and not experiencing the glorious crescendo from 7 to 8.5k is like being married to Margot Robbie and never touching her. What’s the point?

Senshi458, VAF84, axarunner and 6 others like this.
  7. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Not likely as if the water pump seized, it would not strip the teeth off the belt like it has.....

8. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Ok, it's been a few days since Tuesday... what happened to the motor? I doubt that the issue has anything to do with how high it was revved intentionally - something locked up.

FWIW - our 355 also sees redline regularly. It was designed to do that, and as others have said, that's where the power is at. No reason to be RPM shy with a Ferrari just because.

It may be that I did all of the work on the last major - but I am comfortable driving the car that way.

axarunner likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I suspect shops aren't sitting around hoping work comes in, they probably have back log. If they got to his car this soon I would be impressed. :)

axarunner likes this.
  10. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    OP has 348 redline is 7500. I think 355 is 8500.

axarunner likes this.
  11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This thread is pointless without the diagnostic of the engine. Tear it down and see what really happened.

bjwhite, axarunner and 26street like this.
  12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    100% agreed

If I wanted to shift thousands of RPM's below peak horsepower I would buy a tow truck.

bcar1, axarunner and EastMemphis like this.
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Mine as well just drive around in 2nd gear then. Just keep it a red line like you do with your daily driver. :)

14. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    #89 axarunner, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Sorry for the delay but the tear-down revealed that a valve bucket and shim let loose causing the cam to basically jam and freeze hence the belt's teeth sheering off. Damage was also done to the cylinder head... The technician claims the damage was done by over-reving the engine which blew my mind. Valves hit pistons and as such there may be additional damage to the pistons and connecting rods. Max at Classic Coach has found a used engine and he's weighing the cost of repair versus the cost of replacement. I'm looking at a cost-of-repair-to-car-value ratio of 30%. The last engine out service was done by Exoticars who also performed a cam-seal-drain modification to both cylinder-head.

George Vosburgh and chopsui like this.
  15. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    I'm a little confused as to what exactly this means.

Did they send you any pics?

16. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    ... I'd like to see pics as well. Shim under bucket lifters are basically bulletproof.

However, one really bad downshift (i.e. 4th to 3rd instead of 5th), and lifters/valve keepers/springs/etc. can go boom due to valve float.

axarunner likes this.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ugh god I hate to hear that much carnage, really sucks.

axarunner and VAF84 like this.
  18. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Thanks for letting us know, I had a feeling a cam may have seized after having a good think about it. Pulley fence wont tear teeth off the belt like that, neither would the idlers or water pump as they run on the back of the belt.
    Something is not adding up though as you say you've never over-revved the engine. I'm not even sure how you would miss a gear on the down-change with the gate, I have never ever missed a gear in my 348.........going from 5th to 2nd for instance is a way for it to over rev, and that is the type of over-revving that would cause that kind of damage. Revving under load is not going to result in something like that in my opinion....its always over run, or free revving which causes these sorts of failures....I was always taught when I was an apprentice mechanic to NEVER free rev engines to high rpm.....Always have a load!!
    Something is not right, was the head damaged around that bucket, cracked or something?
    Can't be an assembly issue from the service as you have done a fair few miles.....very strange......

At least you seem to have a way of moving forward..........

axarunner likes this.
  19. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    I went to the shop and saw the damage... the technician took photographs so I'll have photographs later. I'm really at a loss as to how this happened... I had just picked up the car after having the steering rack rebuilt and an oil change while there... I was merely driving it back home when mayhem struck.

20. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    Nope... that didn't happen on my watch... nor over-raving without load.

21. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Starting to wonder if someone at the shop that did the oil change might have been having a little fun and you just happened to be the one driving when the damage finally became catastrophic

22. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    OK I've been biting my tongue. First of all, a 50 year old lycoming is no different than one year old one....it has to be torn down, inspected and rebuilt as per FAA regulation due to hours. My good friend owns an FBO and service business that specializes in Lear Jets and Citations.....huge money for maintenance......Our Ferraris are not like that at all....sure we pull the motor throw a timing belt, water pump, tensioner and bearings......but that's about it. These cars are 25+ years old. Second, these cars have been owned by multiple owners who have had their fun running around redlining on every shift....sooooo, That brings me back to my original argument that running around hot doggin and redlining DOES have consequences, regardless of maintenance....just ask the OP!
    Again, I push mine to 6000....65000.....have plenty of fun and none of my Ferraris have ever been to a shop......ever.

Extreme1 likes this.
  23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    100% disagree

If I didn't think I could drive the car as Ferrari intended I would have no interest in owning it.

No wonder these things have a reputation for being slow :)

24. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The PO of my car had to have the heads redone after severe carbon building up from not driving the car aggressively enough, mechanic thought it looked like he never took it above 3000! No one is suggesting driving at redline all the time but the cars are meant to be taken to their conservative limits if maintained.

My major is not a lock and swap- but I agree if you don’t know the maintenance history and aren’t taking care of the car you should be much more careful.

25. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Maybe it's just short-shifting MATT that has the reputation for being slow. ;)

axarunner likes this.