canceled trips because of Corona? | FerrariChat

canceled trips because of Corona?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rob lay, Mar 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what trips have you had canceled because of Corona? I've been lucky in Texas, our life has pretty much gone on as usual. the biggest impact was restaurants closed for 3 months or so, then several trips canceled.

April 2020 - China & Shanghai F1
    April 2020 - Belize (was our reschedule after China)
    June 2020 - Montreal F1

we didn't even try anything for late summer or winter flying or out of country. I have still kept up pretty good travel though...

August 2020 - Road Trip throughout Colorado
    January 2021 - Hunting trip Mexico

Currently scheduled Montreal F1, but I'm already asking about moving tickets to Austin. Not sure Canada will be back 100% for Americans by then.

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I got in one trip in early February 2020 for Porsche Ice Driving school in Montreal before the shutdowns hit.

Otherwise, six booked trips cancelled in 2020.

- Three 10-day European cruises, two back-back in April/May and one in Sept.

- Trip to Ohio in May.

- Trip to HK in August.

- Trip to Maui in October.

Would probably have booked at least one more trip in late 2020 and another one in early 2021 if it had been a regular year.

So I figure an impact of 8 trips so far.

rob lay likes this.
  3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    We cancelled two cruses in and around Europe plus a few auto tours of multiple days with our PCA club for 2020. We have yet to book any extensive travel trips for this year either. Pretty much waiting for the problems to resolve and places to open up again. Even with flue shots you can be quarantined in some strange place which would sure suck a lot of fun out of the vacation.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    So much was shutdown and decreased enjoyment that I basically nixed my ski season and increased fishing and racing. Even racing we can't gather no bbq's no podium ceremony etc.. We are still racing but just not all the normal fun. Sure it's a 1st world problem but I'm not paying top dollar to travel some place then have to do take out food in my hotel room.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My only real cancellation was a trip to Texas in July for a hobby convention that was cancelled. I also probably would have made a trip sometime to visit relatives in Florida, and one to Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving. Oh yes, I had a wedding to attend that was first postponed from spring to fall, and then postponed again until 2021.

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Florida 3/20
    Florida 4/20
    Cooperstown 6/20
    Quebec FCA 7/20
    Alaska 8/20
    Florida 9/20
    Arizona 10/20
    Florida 10/20
    New Zealand Australia 1/21

7. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    We had 15 couples signed up for a Crystal River Cruise on the Danube in October 2020. We moved it until October 20, 2021, and so far no one has bailed. Hoping by the time we have to go firm on money in June that we will know more about Europe and the vaccines. We don't want to get over there, and have historic sights / restaurants/ etc closed or limited while we are there. Going to Prague for 3 days before starting the cruise in Vienna, and heading to Budapest.

The Crystal boats only put 109 people on board, instead of the normal 165 most river cruise boats have over there.

8. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    3 weeks in Ireland and Scotland - by motorcycle. Sept 2020

I was grateful to get my pre-paid tickets back from Aer Lingus, as they were just under $10k.

We usually take 2-3 vacations a year, zilch in 2020

:<(

9. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Two weeks in Japan in April 2020, rescheduled until April 2021 and again rescheduled until October 2021. Our annual family trip to Anguilla in January 2021.

Joe

10. Kuba

Kuba Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    In 2020 - Namibia, Kamchatka (skitouring & heliskiing), Mongolia and a few smaller trips within Europe. Still hoping it will be possible in 2021 to visit Costa Rica, Galapagos and maybe U.S. to finally do some skiing in Rocky Mountains.

11. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin
    Italy in Mar-Apr ‘20
    Italy in Oct-Nov ‘20
    And Italy again on Tuesday.
    Have a 550 and an F12 there that require exercise

12. David J. Schoonmaker

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    David J Schoonmaker
    Last Year's anticipated, but cancelled, included:

April, 2020 London, Dinner at the Royal Automotive Club, then tour of the Bentley works in Crewe, England
    May, 2020 Nice, helicopter to Monaco and F1 Race, part from a private yacht, tour of the Ferrari Works, then three weeks on a northern Italy lake
    July 2020 Dijon, France, week on a barge in the Burgundy region, ending up in Paris for a week
    September 2020 Historic tour of the Black Sea on Sea Dream's private yacht experience, with a week in Istanbul
    October 2020 Tour of Israel on the Sea Dream

All of these have now slid to 2022, when hopefully dream plans plans can be a reality again

13. AlanWard

AlanWard Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alan Ward
    2020 Monaco GP. Didn't get a refund though (carried over) so hoping it actually happens this year

14. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Canada has some pretty severe requirements to get in. They may be implementing that vaccine passport... wait.. Im assuming others have an issue with that. My bad. So anyway yeah... You might wanna follow Canada closely. I planned to go there this year as I've been to Austin the last two years. Im thinkin no.

15. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    Lots of trips cancelled, Caribbean, Copenhagen to Stockholm cruise, and a Nile River Cruise. The cruise lines gave us refunds or credit on future voyages. The airfare from Austin, TX to Cairo was booked on Lufthansa. Little did I know the taxes are nonrefundable even if they cancel the flight. Round trip business class tickets have taxes of about $1,300 per ticket. that was not fun.
    On F1 venues...Monaco is awesome but the race is a parade based on qualifying because passing is so difficult. Montreal is a great track and city. Monza is truly the Cathedral of Speed. The only remaining one on my list is...Spa. OK and Yaz Marina..

16. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Rob,

Great question. I am in Arizona, so like you, life is nornal.

However, he cancelled:

- Summer 2020: China/HK/Sing/Malaysia
    - Winter 2020: All ski trips outside of Arizona
    - Summer 2021: Was to be Dubai/Bahrain/Maldives or Japan/Korea/China (neither happening now, trying for a beach vacation until the world opens up)

I know we could travel this summer, but we like street markets and food experiences, and I am sure those are not going to be normal this year.

Thanks
    Brad

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well you can say goodbye to your trip to Europe this summer. France just announced a continuation of the nationwide curfew and a total lockdown of Paris for the next 4 weeks. No way they'll be back open for the summer tourist season.

18. Pedro MD

Pedro MD Rookie

Sep 22, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Pedro
    May 2020: 2 weeks in Spain: Barcelona and San Sebastian. Had Game tickets to FC Barcelona league game. Game tickets fully refunded to credit card; however, Iberia Airlines only provided vouchers.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Had prob three trips to FL and one trip to San Diego I cancelled last year when I was living in AZ. Now I'm living in FL and making no plans. I don't like what's going on with COVID in Brazil and hope their P1 lineage variant stays at bay with the vaccines. Everyone is concerned with the UK variant now in the US, but that Brazil one is way worse imo.

20. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Cancelled a trip to Antigua last week and did a road trip to a few parts of FL instead. Ended up being a great time especially for the kids.

Canceled the Antigua trip primarily due to it being “international travel” and the kids’ school said we’d have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon return.

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Was going to Atlantis last month and had to cancel bc I got Covid.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I hope no one here was planning on going to the Tokyo Olympics, because they just shut out all foreign visitors! :(

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No travel since Jan of last year.

Canceled trips to FL and Philly last year. Ditto for Memphis. Got vouchers from AA for the FL and Philly flights. Usually do a warm weather trip before Xmas and visit with or host friends after Xmas ; none of that. Biz trips to San Antonio and SF and Memphis canceled this spring. Should have been in Austin this week, but our friends' trip was canceled.

To be honest, I don't miss going to the airport. I do miss road trips. To make up for that we've been driving around the DFW area more. 2 or 3 times a week we'll chuck the pooch in one of the trucks or the Cayenne and just take a 1 - 2 hour drive out in the country. Or, I'll do likewise with the Cali or 911, or off-roading with the wife's old Ridgeline.

This pandemic is a total drag ; let's hope it lasts less than the 7 years of the Black Death!

T

24. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I was reluctant to add to this sad misery index but yes. Our major trip was in Sept. 2020. 3 weeks Milano, Lakes district, our villa we rent in Pietrasante, etc. I was able to secure refunds for every cent, even prepaid hotels (thanks M.O.) Avis, etc. We go to LAS four times a year and that bit the dust. Annual family visit to Sarasota goner. Annual Wrigley Cubs/Phils series bye bye. What hurt most was all the issues trying to see my now 90 year old Mom up in Hershey. Janet and I have our 50th anniversary this September and we had a 3 month excursion planned. Now? Bupkis.

25. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I travel for work, all my domestic travel has been put on hold (until I get vaccinated) and I had to cancel a trip to Dubai, South Africa and four trips (taking teams) to Kenya in 2020. This year I plan to resume trips to Africa starting July, however Kenya just enacted another shut down so who knows if I will have to cancel that.