Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    srslusso likes this.
  2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    They could buy a Mondial or a 348 or a 412 but I'm not sure they'd want to - or rather they obviously don't want to because they haven't. The models they might want to buy are stupendously expensive and the they probably don't want to highlight the ones that aren't. That said, they did make the 125S replica.

I don't know about Porsche but Mercedes are different in that they've pretty much always been in a position to keep all the cars of note they wanted to. So most of the pre-War Silver Arrows and most of the 1950s racing cars have remained in continuous Mercedes ownership (and the ones that haven't were largely not by design). But they were a big company even in the 1930s and could afford to do that. Ferrari could not afford to do that at least until post Fiat in 1969 but even then, as mentioned, Enzo tended to look forward.

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes LHD but I think more relevant is that it is ex-Middle East which always tend to sell poorly and, from the pictures, doesn't look to have been well cared for. Seeing the serial number plaque removed from the open bonnet shot is not a good sign. It is also worth noting that the reserve was ultimately low enough for it to sell at that price so the vendor can't have had too high expectations either.

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I saw a video last night that EAG completed its 69th 430 conversion....I don't follow that market but I hope there are guys in that section of the forum that are F-chatters and providing feedback on the process. It will be neat if/when the 599 and 575 conversions pick up......

5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Today saw another 575 hammer on BaT. @cubbyman60 created a thread and had asked about it not sure if he bid.

SOLD $110,000 -- 2004 575M with 15,155 miles

+) ZFFBV55AX40134787
    +) Rosso Corsa over tan with red piping AND red stitching
    +) shields, modulars, daytonas, factory radio, carpeted shelf
    +) covers, battery tender, tools,
    +) One RED fob and a few unprogrammed clones but had PIN sheet
    +) some documents and belt service 5/2018
    +) most stickies addressed, except hood release
    +) no clutch reading, NO SMOG Cert for CA
    +) overall looked like a real nice example, allegedly some very minor leather bubbling.
    +) 134787
    +) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/anyone-know-this-car.638582/

6. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
  7. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    No bid here...Wouldn't bid without seeing it. Looked like a pretty car.

8. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is interesting in that on March 2nd this car was listed again on Craigslist now at $76k. The aforementioned 2nd no-reserve auction ($72.1k ended 2/28/21) must have been busted and thus the "re-list" by the owner. Or its just an ongoing scam?

That is not confidence inspiring for 2 different auctions to end and then have 2 different buyers walk from their obligation to buy.

If anyone on the forum has put their hands on the car that would be interesting to note.

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Another good looking red/tan 550 on BaT today.

Maybe we are cooling off a bit?

1997 550 with 27,261 miles RNM today 3/24/21 at $114k out of Palm Desert, CA.
    +) ZFFZR49A5V0109577
    +) 109577
    +) Rosso Corsa over beige;
    +) Service records since 2005 – needs a major belt service (last done 5/27/13)
    +) strong maintenance investment generally by seller
    +) Post applied shields, daytona style seats with typical driver bolster wear, carpeted shelf, tools
    +) December smog and promise to renew for a potential CA buyer
    +) ONLY 1 Clone Fob, widower is looking for the red master and extra clone

+) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-ferrari-550-maranello-13/
    +) I didn’t see any mention of the car (links) here on the forum

10. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Not the F355 market. Last multi owner driver quality in need of engine out service sold for $156k.

11. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I recall you noting that which is amazing to me.

12. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The market isn’t exclusively determined by bids. The seller made a decision not to sell at that price... anybody hoping to buy that car for $120K today was never going to end up with it, even if nobody else was present at 3:00 on a Wednesday on BaT to keep batting the price up. So in reality, the car was not really available at this level.

To me, that’s a signal of a strong market. A 30K mile ‘97 with service needs was once $70K. So a seller today deciding to hold the car at a $115K bid says to me the fundamental value proposition of these cars has changed in today’s context where the new V12s are $500K and uninspiring to many enthusiasts.

NE550 likes this.
  13. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree! That’s a big number.

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #314 Ferrari55whoa, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Today we had a sexy looking black 575 hammer. Market definitely softening (at least temporarily)......

In the photos much of the car (sans leather shrinkage) looked nice.

2003 575 F1 with 22,755 miles SOLD today 3/25/21 for what seems like an AMAZING $72k out of Los Angeles, CA.
    +) ZFFBV55A430131768
    +) 131768
    +) Nero over “natural”
    +) Clutch reading allegedly 94.49%; noted hood struts were a little weak
    +) Daytona style seats with alternating natural and black inserts w typical driver bolster wear
    +) Needs a major belt service
    +) Originally came with 19” modulars and currently had 20” aftermarket “modular look” wheels
    +) drilled rotors and “partial historical service records” but I didn’t see any?
    +) Leather shelf with shrinkage and other miscellaneous commentary on dash leather shrinkage
    +) Allegedly no “stickies” and a noted small crack in the HVAC panel
    +) All three fobs and the original leather fob holder
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-19/
    +) I didn’t see any mention of the car (links) here on the forum

I'd take some education on why this one wasn't a strong buy?

I'm extremely grateful that I got distracted half hour before it ended until shortly ago.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    She would require an investment to put standard or modular wheels (original) back on her. Likely $10-15K for modulars including tires. Note she has a set of 550 Tubis on her.

She looks good and the interior is beautiful in Cuoio, my favorite interior color. Add in another $5-7K for a belt change with degreeing the cams and fluid and filter changes.

16. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    Modulars are that expensive? That car looked pretty nice- I wonder if the driver seat could be fixed, though.

17. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Seller seemed particularly desperate to unload the car; I wonder what else is lurking in the maintenance to-do’s. But what we know:

$76K: buy car w/ vig
    $5-15K: stock wheels (5-spoke or modular)
    $10K: address leather (dash, rear, center console, seat, door)
    $10K: address maintenance needs

It’s possible (likely even) that this car ends up costing $100-115K to get to 95pts - maybe more. That would be about where we’ve seen the strong recent numbers. So I actually think it was a strong number, especially given the seller’s vibes.

white out and ifeelfree0 like this.
  18. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Eric- I was not following this super closely, but I agree that this was a good buy for a driver. All they need to do is make the investment in getting the maintenance up to snuff and they are on the road in a 2-seat V12 F-car for well under $90k.

Niteroi and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @SteveVT
    Steve I’m still going to call you out as the apparent world champion during the TTmonths for 575 buys but this one yesterday feels like a close 2nd place.

Patience is a virtue even though the private market bird dogging can be exhausting.

The seller “Wob” is a known seller so hopefully if the car alternatively had a legit PPI done then it wouldn’t have been a dumpster fire (especially with such a good clutch reading)...so.... would have been nice if someone could have picked this one up privately given the price and avoided the BaT fee.

The next similar driver level 550 & 575 will signal to us if the market demand on Maranellos is finally reaching a flat or down spot.

I enjoy watching the results and wouldn’t be surprised if the volume slows but I’d naturally think sales opportunities would tick up generally in late spring/summer as more cars are brought out of winter hibernation.

There are a few more guys semi recently that have transacted privately at what look like “market correct” prices so time will tell how buy-side demand holds up near term.

20. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    "Subject to availability."

white out likes this.
  22. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I am the buyer of this car! A good deal, I think, is peace of mind. It's going to be shipped straight to Art at EAS for a manual conversion. I was so happy to find this thread!!

rhern213, mchas, 21ATS and 3 others like this.
  23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #323 Ferrari55whoa, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    @dhalperin13 Dan, I'm VERY excited for you. If you could start a new separate thread for your new car ESPECIALLY since you are doing a conversion with EAG that would be amazing. Being descriptive in the thread title really helps.

Many guys start a new thread when they join as an introduction, we just had a "new to us" guy Rich that is a nice example where he also dug right into his car and shared a bunch and its been fun.

I'm excited to see more people do the conversion and hear the stories. I had VERY much focused on the arbitrage play between the 550 and 575 (since the 575 is so evolved compared to the 550). I'm not rich so I can't do a 550 and a 575 but I had considered the 575 and at your price point the conversion is "money positive" I think.

I had emailed with Dan at Gated Six and one thing that had seemed interesting to me was EAG/GatedSix creating the kits and then working with other spread out mechanics to do the conversions (which would also be super cool).

Are you in Texas so you can be close to the process? If my guy in San Jose wasn't swamped I had considered how fun that route would have been for the right car.

I think we only know of a handful of converted cars, one done in LA, one done by an F-chatter in ATL and others done by Wil deGroot so your's might be one of the first "Maranello F-chatters" we can get some direct feedback from.

Thanks so much in advance for follow on info, it will be exciting.

p.s if you have an instagram handle that would be great in your intro thread....this week we had been kicking around a few popular ones.

p.p.s. I showed my wife a photo of the alternating colors on the daytona style seats and man are they sexy.

SteveVT likes this.
  24. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congrats on the 575- I absolutely love the color combo! Also very cool to hear that you are having the car converted by EAG. Like Eric, I would love to hear more about the process and how it goes. Best, Steve

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  25. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Agree that this would be amazing- I’d love to follow progress.