Cable route for trickle charger | FerrariChat

Cable route for trickle charger

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mark Blanchard, Mar 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    Hi All,

When you're charging the battery on a 360 do you leave the window open for the trickle charger cable, or is there a better way of routing the cable to the battery that means you can lock the windows / doors?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark.

2. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just run the cable under the door near the front. Been doing this for years with no problems at all.

3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I run mine out the bottom of the drivers door, and close the door. No problems for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Twosherpaz likes this.
  4. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I used to route mine under the door - but while doing some road rash repair on the bumper I re-routed the wire through the firewall and out the front bumper behind the driver fan. Used a small magnet and double stick adhesive to hold the cable behind the air outlet - this makes it much easier. You will have to go behind the foam behind the carpet - takes some time and patients.
    There have been several write ups on this sight about re-routing the charging cable.

5. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    I just shut it in the door

mathewr likes this.
  6. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have a 430 spider, but as others have said, I carefully close the door, and leave the cable at the bottom, toward the front of the door plenty of gap, and after two years, no issues at all with wear on the wire

7. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    The cable is at the bottom of the door for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

mathewr likes this.
  8. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    Thanks very much for this information. Much appreciated. I'll do as you recommend.

Much better than leaving the car unlocked and windows open, which I've been doing for the last few months.

9. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Has anyone run the cable through the firewall and accessed it inside the bonnet? I'm wondering because 1) the passenger door is close to a wall and challenging to access, 2) there isn't a mess of wire in the passenger footwell, and 3) keeping the bonnet lid ajar is a good visual reminder to disconnect the charger prior to driving away.

10. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    You have to remove the back carpet and then behind the foam water barrier you will see the firewall. you can run wires around though the wheel well using a small snake or coat hanger (metal one) if you can find one. Went from inside the wheel well into the void area behind the foam. Take your time its not difficult.

11. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Been running mine out bottom of driver door for 5+ years. You won't forget it that way......

Extreme1 and ItalGerBrit like this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    In theory, if the battery charger is turned on, you shouldn't be able to start the car. There's a safety relay behind the left hand seat which disables the start circuit. The circuit also seems to be linked to the battery warning light.

If you wanted to charge from a point under the engine cover, in theory, you could just attach your leads to the alternator or starter positive and a suitable earth. Unfortunately, you would lose the safety circuit mentioned above (plus a dedicated charging circuit fuse behind the left hand seat).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Most people connect directly to the battery which is why the cable is run under the door. The charger from Ferrari uses a plug under the front hood which does disable the starter. I found this to be a very inconvenient location since you have to open the hood remove the 3 screws that hold the scuttle then plug in the charger :eek:.
    If you want the interlock to work you would need to add a wire to the non Ferrari charger that would send 12v isolated from the battery to the interlock to prevent the car from starting with the charger connected.
    Lot of work just to remember to disconnect your charger before leaving! ;)

Qavion likes this.
  14. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I did.
    I used 4 Ga wire and marine Troll Motor connections.
    From that connection point I can charge the battery directly with the clamp
    connections in the picture or place on trickle charge as it is right now across the winter months

When not in use the connection is covered up and put away in that CD pouch area.
    I leave the front boot unlatched so I can always have access to charging the battery

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and lkstaack like this.
  15. deebo

deebo Rookie

Nov 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Josh
    So crazy I was literally about to ask my mechanic this question. Thanks for the posts guys, appreciate this chat

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Great job Fred - as usual very details and well thought out solution! :)

17. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks Neil but I could not maintain this car with this group either.
    I try to give back whenever I can

18. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Did you run wires through the wheel well as Neil22 reported above to get through the firewall?

19. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    To be honest I can't remember how it was run. It was during a battery change. I did remove the firewall cover from inside the boot. I put a light in the battery area and saw a grommet or opening which the light was shining through. I don't believe that I went through the fender but I can't remember for sure. What I know for sure is that the 2 wires are well protected from shorting

20. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    The user manual shows to route the charger cable under the passenger door