Shill bidding on Bring A Trailer? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Shill bidding on Bring A Trailer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by efg2014, Nov 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    :eek::oops::rolleyes:

I hope. HOPE. Facetious is the word:D

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    On one hand, I get it. Finding a Japanese car that has not been molested is hard. Then, playing an economist, on the other hand, it doesn't make any sense compared to what else your money can buy. Then again, I have never been a collector. When I was a kid, I would buy baseball cards for the bubble gum. Memory fades, but I'm sure I let more than one Roger Maris and Micky Mantle slip through my hands. Still, I don't care. It's just stuff.

TTR and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Nope. Not my bid. I have never bid on BAT, nor have I ever commented. I follow a ton of auctions and always note the “knock out” bid technique.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    When the Cadster speaks, everybody listens.

Thecadster likes this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I bought & sold (= brokered ?) 500-1000 vintage cars within 5 year span 30+ years ago and made decent living doing it, every car I bought for myself were purely out of personal interest and some I (willingly) paid far more than “market” at the time suggested, but eventually if/when sold I couldn’t had care less what I got for them, although most if not all brought far more than I had originally paid for each. I just love (certain) old cars. Modern (less than 40 y.o.) ones I just consider appliances.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree, except I don't have your skills. I have a 1974 Jensen Healey that is eating my lunch. (What the hell is a fuel regulator?) At least with the newer cars, I can jump in and drive.

But I wish I did. One of the nicest cars I ever drove was an early 912. Great car. You knew, you would die if you wrecked it. But damn, that was a fun car to drive.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Hey, just earlier this week my wife and I had a wonderful 5-day, 800+ mile road trip/mini vacation driving from Riverside to Big Sur and back in our Roadster, which if wrecked, especially on those cliffside stretches of PCH wouldn’t provide much protection or safety, but as I’ve pointed out numerous times before, driving/traveling in it is just more fun than two barrels of monkeys and no modern car can offer anywhere near as much pure (analog) driving pleasure for me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

red27, JAM1, Schultz and 4 others like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I wish I could afford to live in California.

9. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Someday we will look back and say how was this only worth 40k? Those were the days...

10. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    No. It’s a POS Honda that is worth sentimental value. That’s it.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey, someone's POS is another person's dream.

TTR likes this.
  12. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    How do you like the repaved highway 1?? Nice right??

Was just there a few weeks ago...sweet in my 458 spider!

SV

Texas Forever and TTR like this.
  13. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    If I’ve owned them too have I earned the right to say ‘POS’? :D

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    We'll know how. Because the US is rapidly debasing its currency. That Civic price is evidence of it, actually.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    It’s absolutely wonderful and worth every one of my tax dollars they spent on it.
    The weather we encountered (see photos) made the drives even better.
    Had I been just by myself, I probably would’ve stretched the Roadsters legs on some of those cliffside curves even more enthusiastically.;)

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, I guess it’s all about priorities.

While I’ve never had a lot of money, I’ve always been a hardcore, lifelong (vintage) car guy through-and-through and they’ve always been front-&-center in my life decisions.

Probably the reason why I didn’t even get married until in my fifties, didn’t bother owning a house or even owning/watching TV until I met my wife (fortunately neither of us have kids). Never cared to follow politics or sports, etc.

While I do have some other (secondary ?) “interests” & when younger, traveled all over the western half of Northern Hemisphere, I haven’t encountered many, if any places as accommodating for my vintage car passion as California.

Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    P.S. My apologies to all for veering off topic, both in forum section (“Ferrari Discussion”) and thread (“Shill bidding...”).

of2worlds likes this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    BJK likes this.
  19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    30k-Mile 1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta 6-Speed (4 previous owners) >>> Sold for $95,069

Nice :cool: Seems cheap. Great deal. Can you tell me how much you thought the car was going to go for? and/or how high were you prepared to go on this?

ShineKen likes this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I was prepared to go $120k and I already have a manual 95 355 GTB. If I didn’t have one, Id go higher. The car has certain things done to it by previous owner that have added cost to reverse. It is not as close to a stock example (appearance wise) as most newcomers to 355’s would like. To bid a car high, a newcomer would need some level of certainty/confidence and a certain level originality helps instill that. Doesn’t have to be 100% stock as long as the modifications are easily reversible.

If this was a clean stockish car, this is a $125-$150k car in today’s strong market imo. But keep in mind I’m fairly biased :).

$95k + $5k BAT buyer fee + $10k (CA DMV tax) + $2k transportation. I’m in this car $112k before I even started any correction.

BJK likes this.
  21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Curious, did being owner #5 give you any pause? (4 owners on an 8 yr old car is different than 4 owners on a 25 yr old car, right :) )

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Condition of car is more important to me. At the end of the day, isn’t the assumption less owners implies better cared for? If that is the case, perhaps it’s best to just look at the car and forget how many times it exchanged hands.

BTW. I am in NC at the moment. I flew in to check out the car in person before paying. If something is off and makes me uncomfortable enough, I would not go through the sale and would have to fight my case with BAT for a returned fee. I’ve checked out the car and it is a done deal :).

BJK likes this.
  23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    That's pretty much what all classic cars are.

Also a civic si in electron blue with low original miles unmodified and not stolen... Rare.

Probably more rare than an f50. Lol.

BT likes this.
  24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I had one of those Civic Si's when almost new. Hated it so much I sold it in a week. I know, to each their own!

25. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    BaT gets top dollar for most vehicles listed if they are original and clean. I understand most of the audience here believes Ferrari is the only game in town, but most young-ish guys would dream of owning a clean GTR before thinking of anything Italian. The Civic is pricey, but probably represents someone's dream car when they were 21, and now at age 41 they can afford to get it. There is a reason Hagerty picks the Honda S2000 CR as the best investment car under $45k in their article from spring 2019. The people just getting to the meat of the earnings in their career are those people that lusted after mostly Japanese cars when they were younger. The Fast and Furious franchise has a far reaching impact.