Will the Mercedes domination come to an end in 2022? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Will the Mercedes domination come to an end in 2022?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Dilusha, Mar 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The long run data is interesting for Mercedes at the bottom of this report.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.6-key-things-our-data-tells-us-from-pre-season-testing-including-why-it.4fuw9PfcWuLtnunCePHDmp.html

1. Mercedes are on the back foot – but it’s not all bad

Mercedes have set the bar so high over the last seven years that leaving pre-season testing as the second-best on paper, based on the performance they showed over those three days, is seen as a disappointment.

It’s clear the Silver Arrows have plenty of work to do, with Lewis Hamilton in the unusual position of looking the more unsettled of the team’s two drivers.

Our data team compared the seven-time world champion’s performance at FP2 in Bahrain 2020 with day two of testing and it showed his throttle application was not as smooth in testing as it was in FP2, the Briton really having to fight the car throughout the test.

Mercedes’ short run pace is of the biggest concern. They were second in the pecking order, 0.56s adrift of Red Bull, based on our data, with the team unsure why they couldn’t find extra performance as they ramped up to low-fuel runs using softer compounds.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Short run pace is the biggest concern for Mercedes after testing (Data from Day 3 of testing)
    However, what was less clear to see was their long run pace (below). And it’s here that things look rosier. On day three, the numbers suggests the Silver Arrows were top of the pile in this metric, holding a 0.39s per lap advantage over the Red Bull.

They now have 12 days to understand where they are struggling on low fuel and rebound. History, though, suggests they have the capabilities to do it.

2. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Why is it that every time I click on any formula1.com link, it instead takes me to a page asking me to subscribe to F1 Pro. Meanwhile, I'm already subscribed to F1 Pro, AND logged in!

I don't get it....

Kevin

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't think it can be conclusively said that 1 concept is more affected than the other. Even highly experienced experts are not quite sure still.

DF1 and Senna1994 like this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yeah, same here.......[shoulder shrug]

kes7u likes this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's because the F1 team is utterly inept at anything they do. Their app still hardly works. Their website is terrible.

Arrogance? Incompetence? Both?

kes7u and ingegnere like this.
  6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    According to that graphic Ferrari is slower than Alfa and just .080 faster than Haas on short pace. And Williams, who actually made some changes to their car, is half a second slower than Haas?

Clearly whoever wrote this couldn’t be bothered with anything other than playing up Merc’s chances. And why is the official site of F1 so concerned about Mercedes as opposed to highlighted test of the field? They sound like Autosport.

jpalmito, fil and Bas like this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Both, and a complete misunderstanding of the "avid" F1 fan.

Bas likes this.
  8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    All this nonsense will be forgotten at the end of q3, as it is every year.

kes7u likes this.
  9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The short answer: No
    The long answer: Of course not.

Thecadster likes this.