Will the Mercedes domination come to an end in 2022? | FerrariChat

Will the Mercedes domination come to an end in 2022?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Dilusha, Mar 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Usually with a new regulations overhaul it all comes to an end. But this is Mercedes we're talking about. What do you think will happen?

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    looking at testing in Bahrain it might already be over !

Sbinella likes this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mercedes adapts......quickly.

They've had rear tire issues (cooked the rears) in 2 to 3 races in the past aeasons......then....problem solved.

They've got 2 weeks to address this new 2021 regulation change AND IF Mercedes does'nt fix it, give them 2 to 3 races. They are persistent and the juggernaut stomps on.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I feel some problems will not be addressed as quickly for any team with new regulations approaching. What budget amount should they use etc.
    Mercedes will work to address this now but I dont think after 2-3 races they will spend much effort or resources. They have the capability of course. The investment and the return will be balanced against next year.

Jeronimo GTO and ingegnere like this.
  5. DF1

Will Mercedes copy in some fashion Mclaren??

McLaren "surprised" rivals didn't adopt F1 diffuser trick
    By: Jonathan Noble
    Mar 15, 2021, 5:15 AM
    McLaren is surprised no other Formula 1 team adopted its clever diffuser design, but doesn’t think it will take long before it's copied following Bahrain testing.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Only a fool writes off Mercedes after the evidence we've seen in the last 7 years.

If the last 7 years where different, say a mix of Ferrari, Mclaren, Mercedes sharing the glory of titles between them, I'd feel a lot more confident in saying that Red Bull looks far and away the best team. They didn't put a foot wrong, car looked quick, responsive, and exactly as the driver asks, engine looks to be strong and reliable. Drivers and team look upbeat and positive attitude.

BUT, the last 7 years have been all about Mercedes, and even during poor pre-season testing, doom and Gloom from Mercedes all round....only for them to blow everyone away at the first race of the season and never looking back. All whilst claiming they ''just managed to find an issue''. BS.

7. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    We all know how this problem was solved.

ingegnere, Picchu88, SimCity3 and 4 others like this.
  8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Haha the car didn’t change. :)

stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  9. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    If usually Red Bull starts slow, maybe this is the year they start fast, and Mercedes starts slow...just maybe RB with Checo can make it a close battle.

Senna1994 likes this.
  10. DF1

11. DF1

12. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If the issues are real... they'll be fixed and fixed quickly. There's literally no chance of them not winning both championships. When they basically locked in the cars, they all but ensured the repeat. If anyone thinks Merc isn't going to do exactly what they've done the past several years, you're delusional. The only interesting aspects of the season will be the midfield... the driver changes.. etc.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My guess, when the season has been written, is that this will be seen as one of their most proficient sandbaggings ever !

As to copying the diffuser, My guess is that the parts are coming out of the autoclave today.

WPOZZZ, Senna1994 and classic308 like this.
  14. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    I recall Mercedes having had issues during pre-season testing in the past, as well as in the first couple of races. Maybe memory doesn't serve me well though... But how they cope with this will be interesting to see. Their car apparently was not as good as it could have been but if they recover from this... They may not dominate from 2022 on but they will remain a top team and may well return to domination. Or they may just do a Williams and implode

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    2019 LH: "Ferrari is at least half a second ahead of us..." (first race, Mercedes qualifies 0.7 clear of the first Ferrari)

PerKr, stavura, 635CSI and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  18. DF1

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-balance-issue/

Ex-F1 driver turned pundit Marc Surer believes Mercedes’ testing troubles could be as simple as a balance issue that can be fixed.

Mercedes went into 2021 pre-season testing very much as the favourites to build on their seven Drivers’ and Constructors’ titles in a row, but the three days in Bahrain certainly did not come and go without problems.

Stability has been a key characteristic of the dominant Mercedes challengers of recent years, especially last season’s W11, but the W12 was looking like quite a handful with Sir Lewis Hamiltonending up in the gravel, while Valtteri Bottas called the W12 “snappy and unforgiving”.

Red Bull set the fastest time of testing with Max Verstappen clocking a 1:28.960 on the C4 tyres, while Mercedes’ best run on the softest C5 rubber earned them only the fifth-fastest time overall.

Of course lap times are not always the best indicator to take away from testing, but the tricky W12 has cast some doubt over Mercedes.

Surer though feels it is likely just balance issues which the German team can eventually solve, stemming from the new regulations which has altered the design of the floor ahead of the rear tyres in order to cut downforce.

“The car will be fast, it will stay fast,” he told Formel1.de.

“My theory is this, a flat car like the Aston Martin or the Mercedes has the centre of downforce nicely centred under the car. Because of the cut, they lose downforce in the rear and the centre of downforce moves forward as a result. This puts the car out of balance.

“For me it’s just a balance problem that they need to get to grips with. Pressure has moved forward. And now the cars have oversteer. That means the rear end is getting loose as a result.”

jpalmito and Senna1994 like this.
  19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    As usual they are sandbagging. Too bad though, would be nice to have an actual competition at the front for a change.

20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree
    We ALL hope Max will have a good car able to be a real contender against this mighty Mercedes team.

stavura, Senna1994 and Bas like this.
  21. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I truly think the is going to be Max's year. I don't think this is all sandbagging. I think the new regs have really messed with the Mercedes low rake concept, and thrown off the stability of the rear. They will certainly improve the situation and it will be close, but I have this weird feeling that Max fill finally do it this year!

Kevin

Bas, Senna1994 and jpalmito like this.
  22. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    add a few broken transmissions in and could be game over for Merc, no news yet on the 2 failed units

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think the key is how much upside do they have through development? RBR and AT look to be ahead of the pack currently, but how much more can they improve the car? Merc seems to have a downforce issue at the rear, specifically, and if solved how much will that mean to them in terms of lap times? I'm guessing, 'quite a bit'

24. DF1

+1 no PU is making more power. Honda is not making more power, in terms of passing a fully engaged, aero balanced Mercedes when you need 1+ sec closure on a straight with DRS. They did not find 80hp over 3 months. Maybe 40. If they did then they need to teach Ferrari what they did lol. :)

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep

Mercedes cars have a low rake angle....in fact one of the lowest on the grid. Due to the 2021 regs, the floor near the rear tires has been cut significantly thereby hampering the low rake cars and inducing oversteer.

Mercedes could either raise the rake of their cars and "copy" a McLaren rear diffuser concept or keep the lower rake. If they keep the lower rake, they're gonna have to balance out the car to where it doesn't oversteer buy inducing more vanes on the rear part of the floor and rear diffuser.

It's gonna be intersting what Mercedes comes up with in 2 weeks or 2 to 3 races going forward.

The high rake cars seem to have benefited from the cut of the rear floor.

Jeronimo GTO and ricksb like this.