308-328 Mobil #1 and a Zinc additive? | FerrariChat

308-328 Mobil #1 and a Zinc additive?

Discussion in '308/328' started by rob58, Mar 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob58

rob58 Karting

May 30, 2020
    CT.
    Full Name:
    Robert Orris
    Talking to a fellow Ferrari owner that has a 57,000 Mile 328. He swears by running Mobil 1 in his car. He also uses a Zinc additive, and says this adds more friction protection. Any thoughts on Mobil 1 and Zinc additives?

Thank you all,

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've use that mix on all my car 308, Mondial, 348

3. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I use redline with zinc.
    My 308 drives cooler

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I use Mobil1 0W40 which has zinc. My catalytic converters go faster.

Saabguy likes this.
  5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Oil threads always end up arguing minutia, none of us will live to see any real world effects of what we put in there and everyone knows better than Ferrari who built the engine ;) It's personal choice and if it makes you feel good do it. ( I think that's a Dr Ruth Westheimer quote BTW)

2dinos, Albert-LP, bernieb and 2 others like this.
  6. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I’m not right?

7. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    The same endless discussion takes place among the air cooled Porsche community. Lots of hand-wringing over ZDDP content of modern oils. At the rate my car has racked up the miles so far in its life, it's engine will outlive me by decades no matter what kind of oil I use. It isn't worth worrying about.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Olive oil,,, its Italian ya know

Saabguy, smg2, bernieb and 1 other person like this.
  9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #10 ginoBBi512, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    The motor oil you should be using is Valvoline Racing 20/50 Zinc, mineral, Ive got 102 K miles on my 89 328 and it still runs like it did with 20 k. The Zinc is in the oil already. I know there has been 1000s of threads about this, I dont use synthetic, not matter what folks say, its going to leak out, its that simple, its hard enough to get a shop to do cam seals and have them not leak, never mind trying to use mobile one.(And I have had so called top shops in my area change cam seals, and they still leak, and they dont want to warranty the job, they say they do, but when you bring your car back, they open it up and let it sit for weeks to make you think theyre working on it NOT.I have a friend who has a multi platinum 308, he had a Ferrari dealer do his cam seal service, it turned out to be a nightmare, I could not believe what he had to put up with.) Prol to much info, sorry if I went on.

Thank you

absostone likes this.
  10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Gino I’m not going into details but I have been using Redline synthetic 5w/50 for years and it hasn’t leak a drop.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  11. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    I’ve used shell 10w40 the GTS leaks like a sieve; the GT4 not so bad

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  12. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Unless you live somewhere hotter than Hades or spend your days pounding round a race track, why would you put anything other than the recommended W40 weight oil in the thing?

I don't ever recall seeing a TSB to alter the recommended oil weight.....50 weight is too thick, 60 weight is , well beyond that IMO.

YMMV obviously

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Been using Mobil 1 0W40 for many years in my '89 328. Haven't had any problem with leaks. No additives. Adding something to oil is a risk. There is an additive package in the oil already. Unscientifically slopping some chemical into it changes the additive "package" and you have NO idea how it will affect the balance of the existing additive package and can adversely affect wear. If you feel you need more zinc, buy an oil that has the zinc you want already in it, don't bother trying to win your Jr. Oil Chemist badge by mixing your own.:rolleyes:

Saabguy and bernieb like this.
  14. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

In So Cal, 20/50 seems to be the right weight, at least it has for my car over 22 years and over 80,000miles.

Thank you

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Ive used valvoline Racing in my esprit forever. Cant say I have any complaints, you need to change it more often but been happy

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  16. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    I run a mixture of olive oil, avocado oil, and clarified butter normally at a 20/60/20 ratio. Olive oil, of course, supports the lower temp. operation of everyday driving while the avocado oil helps with the higher temps. of a little spirited driving. The clarified butter stiffens up the oil for overnights to help prevent drips from staining my beautiful epoxy floor. But on track days I swap it out for 100% extra virgin, first cold press olive oil. This is my favorite old school trick you see, the lower smoke point of olive oil creates a massive cloud of smoke through which my buddies can't see worth ****. The trick is just do anything to get in front before the engine gets really hot and the smoke screen goes to work. Works like a damn! (I always put some olive oil into a motul race oil container, so the guys in pit lane can see me take a swig after I pour a can into the car. Intimidates them.)

Saabguy, smg2 and Cirorsi like this.
  17. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

While this maybe true given the miles that we typically drive, an engine has a useful life and will eventually wear to the point of needing a rebuild. Through my experience, the currently approved Ferrari oil makes for a different mechanical sound, tapping noice within the engine, than the original oil prescribed in the owners manual that included high levels of zinc. Science is science and I can actually hear a difference between the two.

18. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    it is fine using w50 oils especially on higher mile cars, little heavier/ higher oil pressure but w40 - eg. 5w40 or 10w40 is fine, high Zinc levels is irrelevant to our engines, it will not do harm but it's not a ' flat tappet' engine which requires higher levels or correct levels of Zinc like older Porsche's and other cars with hydraulic lifters etc.

Saabguy and Freddie328 like this.
  19. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The type of oil you use is directly related to how often you should change your timing belts.o_O

20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Zinc I heard is whats needed to protect the cam lobes.

Thank you

21. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
  22. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    If Im correct, Ferrari did not recommend synthetic oil for a 328 , not arguing , Im not sure what they say to use in a 328, but its not synthetic .Do u have a 328. if so which is this oil your using, Ferrari approved

Thank you

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This ZDDP freakout started probably 15 or 20 years ago in the muscle car forums when some armchair chemist spawned the notion that alterations in oil formulations were bad for their engines. Well, fast forward to the present day and the mountains of destroyed camshafts and lifters are yet to appear. Perhaps it was a miscalculation.

24. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Albert-LP likes this.