Are Campagnolo wheels particularly rare? | FerrariChat

Are Campagnolo wheels particularly rare?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ExcelsiorZ, Mar 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Seems the wheels I see most often in the 14" variety are Cromodora or Speedline and both of these have a different design from the Campagnolo wheels. I prefer the Campy wheel as it has a pentagon shape around the wheel bolts/hub that i prefer as it is in keeping with the angularity of the spokes. The Campy also seeks to have a shaping that makes the dish effect seem deeper and more smooth. They are also very light. Does anyone know the weight differences from Campagnolo, Cromodora and Speedline in the 14 x 7.5" size variety? My wheels are cast with a date of 77. Wondering why most 308s I see do not have the Campy wheels and if they are particularly rare, relatively speaking.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Spirit of Italy

Spirit of Italy Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Hans S
    Late summer 1977, Ferrari introduced a supplement parts catalog featuring the launch of 16" magnesium wheels as an option for 308. Because the regular suppliers were busy, these were ordered from Tecnhnomagnesium, or so I have been told. They are slightly different and rare. However, they are known to have excessive corrosion issues when not treated well.
    Only yesterday I was looking at my own set stamped 78......

Image Unavailable, Please Login

maurice70 likes this.
  3. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I would imagine those are rare, but they are shaped like the Speedlines and Cromodora. I was looking to learn about the rarity of the Campagnolo wheels which feature a pentagon hub shaping with this thread.

4. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #4 hyenahf, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    i have some 7.5x14 cromodoras, they are dated 79 coming at just under 14-1/2 pounds which is pretty light. from previous experiences, the campys seem lighter. however it may depend on the year they are made since many campys progressively got heavier to address strength and leaks from their porous sand castings.

some of the very early non 308 wheel campys are extremely rough in surfacing and porous enough if the car sits long enough the it will leak air through the rims themselves. they nice thing with the 308 cromodoras is the nice "ferrari" n "cromodora" script casted face of the rim rather than the adessives sticker that wear off on the campys. you can tell if the wheels have been over-restored since have a lot of filler to a point were the embossed in an illegible. i would avoid any restored wheel unless your were certain of its condition before it being repainted

most of the speedlines seem to have come later. i dont recall ever seeing 308 14 speedlines? my only experience are with the speedlines. were the 16s

tecno's ? well thats another long convoluted story
    :)

5. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    I have a question... are Campagnolo the same company that makes bike parts?

6. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    yes, same company different division as i recall. sadly the auto wheel division no longer exist since the factory burnt down in a mg fire in the 80's

Imatk, Nuvolari and ExcelsiorZ like this.
  7. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    There were 14" speedlines sold on Bring A Trailer a short while back. Thanks for the weight. Will weigh a Campy and post it. I much prefer the look of the Campys over the Cromodora wheels. When you see them side by side the difference is pretty notable. it's one of those differences that is subtle but when mounted on the car makes a difference, IMO. E.g., the GTO wheel, the best of the 308 wheels IMO, works with the angular shape conceptually more like the Campy than the Cromodora or speedline wheel.

8. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    can you post up a14 speedlines please? i dont recall ever seeing a set, at least not in the flesh.

too these eyes, the campys look more modern with tighter radi and flusher more shear surfaces. the cromas appear more classic with softer surfacing like they wheels on the daytona, early boxer etc. any case both types are wonderful, i prefer them over any of the 17 or larger replica's.

I once thought about making 9x16 stock like wheels for the rears on 245s and more the stock 8's up front before. kinda got too busy

you still have your 355 motor transplant gts? yours was one of the first id seen when i used to go visit carl's place when he was building it. i think thats the perfect motor for a 308.

9. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #9 ExcelsiorZ, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    The more I look at the original Campagnolo wheels and the later Speedline and Cromodora....the more they really bother me design wise. The original wheel is so much cleaner a design with its more angular pentagon center which echoes the angularity of the spokes and makes the wheel more consistent in its design.

With the Campy you can literally draw a straight line across the spoke edges through the center pentagon out straight to the other spoke. I is such a pure and clean design. I wonder why the later designs fail to capture this and thus look less cohesive in appearance. Just like with the Dino, I prefer the Campagnolo wheels!

Now if you look at the 288GTO wheel what do you find? A pentagon around the center! I think that sums it up best: The best looking wheel ever fit to a 308 bodied car has the pentagon center just like the original Campignolo.

One day it would be interesting to learn why Ferrari went to these other suppliers after Campy and why they failed to recreate the wheel. Did Campagnolo have the design patent? That would be the most logical reason for the change.

The first wheel is the Campy the second is a speedline and the speedline and Cromodora feature the same odd centers. The third pic is the 288GTO Wheel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files: