Red wine | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Red wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by schwoo, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We used to joke about how putting a 3 cent foil sticker on a bottle added 30% to the retail value of the wine. Another one we did once was “Library Release”. That was a huge profit maker for us especially when we told customers they were limited to 4 bottles.

wax and arizonaitalian like this.
  2. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Check out the iFAVINE app. Enter the vintage and varietal and it specifies decanting time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

soulsea likes this.
  3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    maybe, but in my experience it depends far more on "that individual bottle's history" than the producer and vintage (let alone varietal). Treatment and storage are everything (says the guy who has dumped far too many bottles to count/recall down the drain).

I hesitate to go "there"...but this brings me to the cusp of why today I have less than 20 bottles in my home compared to over 5000 bottles in most years of my adult life...wine is a minefield. You can source EP and store at 55F perfectly and still have undrinkable (expensive) wine to pour down the drain because of the 1 cent cork or poor handling at the dock or brett invasion or TCA invasion in the cellar/winery or mysterious pre-mox issues ala white burgs. I got so tired of stepping into the minefield near daily that I sold it all and started drinking martinis mostly and simple/youngish wines. It got to where I had several bottles stood-up and ready to go whenever I planned to drink some good wines...and iirc my all-time-high for dumped bottles was around 7 in a row (can't talk about this without acknowledging that tons of people (me included on occasion) drink flawed wines either without knowing it or just not caring (in cases where its not "pour down the drain bad").

For much of my wine-collecting/drinking/obsessing life, the highs of a great aged bottle of Bordeaux or Burgundy or the thrill of a mid-aged La La were so great, that I tolerated the wastage of ruined bottles. Especially since I was sourcing my aged wines in the after-market when they had been handled by who knows how many people (one expects a bad bottle rate doing that). But when I finally got to start drinking my aged wines I bought originally EP, and still found whole cases ruined by TCA-tainted corks, and some evidence of cooked-on-the-dock wines, I had enough. I still buy the odd bottle from charity auctions of old stuff to try with my family at special occasions (last time was a while ago tho, we had a pair of mags of 1947 Bordeaux's to celebrate the total eclipse a few years back that were surprisingly still in shape - but they were donated by one of the top-cellars in my town, so I knew a bit of their history). I still have a couple of the top wines from my birth-year, but won't buy more at this point (both me and that vintage are too old to still function properly/as intended!).

I remember my early days of wine obsession, and drinking youngish bold cali cabs where the odds of getting a bad bottle were so low, that we hardly ever noticed one. But once I made the transition to bordeaux and burgundy and rhones, the bad bottle percentages started to creep up. Plus at some point, you realize how sensitive your nose/palate are to TCA. Some people hardly notice it. Others - like me - get near nauseous when smelling it (usually I can smell it from a few feet away as soon as the cork is pulled).

I have a few interesting stories of large group dinners (most of these were board of directors meetings oddly) where a bottle of badly TCA-infected wine was opened by the somm with one board member, given the okay, and then poured around the table. One such occasion I recall getting my pour and immediately getting a sick feeling from the over-powering TCA smell - this bottle was badly infected. But I didn't say anything and watched the folks around the table. All but one guy were happily quaffing the wine (that guy could tell). The guy that selected it and gave the somm the okay was particularly happy with it. Eventually the somm (at the urging of the one other guy at that table that smelled TCA) intervened and said it was flawed and started to take the glasses away...however the guy that selected/okayed the wine said "no way, I like it" and kept his glass of that wine and the rest of the bottle. So...it varies by person! There are no absolutes in wine, its all down to each person's palate and nose and what they like. But those "likes" vary so amazingly widely by person!

Anyways, enough of my boring wine history/observations. Back to the drinking!

wax, Steelton Keith, beng and 2 others like this.
  4. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Stephanie, wax, brobin and 2 others like this.
  5. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Same here! I have the 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017!

soulsea and Pis7a2020 like this.
  6. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
  7. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This stuff is magical

9. Monopole

Monopole Rookie

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Romaric Chavy
    are you in the business ?

10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    We should definitely hang out...at your house.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  11. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    I guess if I don’t know if I’m in ‘the business’ I’m probably not ‘in the business’.

Tonight’s thingie. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Any time. I’ll be in Sedona most of June and July. :)

12. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    soulsea, SCFerrari and Pis7a2020 like this.
  13. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Wow. Happy birthday to you I’d say!

14. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thank you sir!

15. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Assuming a “milestone” birthday?

16. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Yes Sir. I would say it is my favorite wine. Need to do a head to head with some Bond to be sure, but it’s up there.

17. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    soulsea, SCFerrari, j34 and 2 others like this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I remember when Wine.com had the triple 100 pt rated 2016 Cos D’estournel for $169 a bottle last year. Easiest case I ever bought.

Pis7a2020 and Scudmsl like this.
  19. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I am nowhere near the bottles discussed here

Just received zebra brunello

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

20. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    They have some crazy deals sometimes. The Haute-Brion was $175 cheaper with the code and the club discount.

21. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Not a milestone, but it’s my second birthday during COVID!

Nicolas21, Scudmsl and Pis7a2020 like this.
  22. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
  23. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    My money is on the Bond only because it is in the early stages of the (50-year!) drinking window. The Dominus is a 2024 start to the window. But I’m sure both with be fabulous nonetheless. Looking forward to the report.

24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well THIS will piss a bunch of people off, but if you want to have a few chuckles try this....ask a group to put on blindfolds and serve them a red and a white. Ask them to guess which is which. You’ll be amazed at how many get it wrong.

I know you don’t believe me, I promise you.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  25. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA