Ferrari has lost 35% of its fan base since 2010 | FerrariChat

Ferrari has lost 35% of its fan base since 2010

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Mar 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there is an article talking about this posted on the site.

maybe.

personally i think the reason is simple......ferrari have not won a dc since 2007. they have not had a hero driver that consistently won races for ever - vettel was not schumi and never will be.

the products are fine. they still kick ass.
    but the romance is fading.
    the competitive domination at the top of motorsport - their raison d'etre - is no longer there.

wake up ferrari !
    we dont want more hybrid or electric ferraris !

we want you to win the goddam races !!!!

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #2 ginoBBi512, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    F1 was just as boring when Ferrari was winning all the time , all those year ago, same with Mercedes , I would love to see multiple teams fighting and in contention for the title, thats the way it is in Moto GP, F1 will never be the same, the cars are to complicated ,same as the rules. Its just going to get worse. In F1, there are barely a handful of good drivers, the rest should not even be behind the wheel of any F1 car. You are correct, forget the electric crap, like Vettle said, " we should go back to the V10s" dam straight.The La Ferrari, the flagship, despite the electric crap, is still a V12 , but the F1 car is a V6, does not and will never make any sense to me. I will watch for a little while this year, if and when it starts to be the same old stuff, thats it for me.

Thank you

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Global interest in F1 has dropped off the cliff in the last 10 years, so it's no surprise Ferrari is also taking a hit. Boring cars, boring tracks, boring racing. No indication from FIA that they care about turning it around.

Mindshare doesn't matter as much as $ales, and Ferrari is up year over year.

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    1. I do think Ferrari winning IS what brings the most viewers and fans to F1. It is in the DNA of F1 for Ferrari to win. It’s been said that to win in Formula 1 is to beat Ferrari.

2. The current formula was designed for and by Mercedes. Ferrari was close to beating the script a couple of years only to essentially be beaten by themselves.

3. People are bored with Mercedes.

4. The nature of F1 inherently allows teams who are innovative to be dominant. I don’t have a problem with this necessarily.

5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Maybe the time has come for Ferrari to get involved in other “lower classes” of racing ie Indy or stock car which are popular here in the states. Any privateers out there willing to take take it on?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

polishhammer83 and paulchua like this.
  6. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Ferrari sent fewer cars here the last few years. I think they want to concentrate on other markets. I'm not sure how a USA based racing series would line up with their goals.

polishhammer83 and ginoBBi512 like this.
  7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I think their idea of a factory backed sports car effort is a good idea, but I dont want to see hybrids, Im sick of hearing about that crap. Lets see open class prototype with anything goes. Cars like the 333 SP ,or lets go to a factory backed vintage race series and lets bring back the 330s and the 512 s, wouldnt that be more exciting than what we are witnessing in F1 !! lol

Thank you

Challenge likes this.
  8. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    f1 is too boring now, even if Ferrari were dominating it then I don't think it'd make that much of a difference unless the driver was a real personality or something

I think Lambo have stolen the attention of the youth and Mclaren/bugatti to some extent

26street likes this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If it is the same article I read, it was a reduction in brand awareness....which is about more than F1 failures.

It is clear the road cars just aren’t as special as they used to be. Ferrari makes too many damn cars, the competition has closed or eliminated the gap, and Ferrari has had a lot of uninspiring designs, a couple of which are just Pontiac Aztek level ugly.

jjmalez and ginoBBi512 like this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes, the article is about brand awareness - and not just F1. the corresponding brand increases were: Rolls Royce, Tesla, Bentley, Lamborghini. Even Bugatti got a note on brand awareness improvement. I think the popularity of Ferrari has wanned because they are not seen as special anymore. Too Many California's, and Portofino's - especially on the used market... over saturation. Porsche also declined as well. the Cost vs. perception lines has crossed over. The upcoming suv and continuation of the station wagon's .. just have moved Ferrari down the market. the other thing that also went down was the souvenir business declined as well. that is where the real brand awareness is. cap's shirts, and swag... you see less of it.

I don't know if that is good or bad. When I was a kid - most people did not know much about Ferrari - they are expensive and temperamental... is about all you heard. Frankly, I liked it that way... it was more special.

11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I really have to agree here, well said !! very good post!! The truth .

Thank you .

Hawkeye likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This was an article done by our parent company. I think it is crap. A marketing company reached out to them with these "Google stats" which were basically just a simple 30 second report searching "Ferrari" 10 years ago and now.

I believe the theories about it being F1 related are true, but I don't believe the fall off in Ferrari F1 and F1 in general the last 10 years impacted the automotive that much, it just impacted the stupid 30 second Google report.

If all you do is search "Ferrari", then the fact Ferrari F1 and F1 in general have less buzz means "Ferrari" overall is going to get less buzz F1 and Automotive included.

Automotive may have dropped off a little or maybe not, but certainly I think most of the fall in these stats is because of F1 only.

13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The year of my Ferrari 458....2010....was probably the last year of Ferrari as a pure company, making pure road cars, with a great F1 team. I’ll follow the results and once Mercedes stops winning I’ll watch again. Mercedes has ruined F1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polishhammer83 likes this.
  14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    They're not winners.

The recent cars are ugly (sorry, but it's true. No beauty, all brute)

People want to be associated with success and beauty.

polishhammer83 and Hawkeye like this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what do you mean, Ferrari makes great and unique cars still! ;) :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Products are not fine. We are sick and tired of being ripped off with $4000 for Apple car play and $5000 for electric seats. I said this all along -- just raise the base price of the cars and stop insulting us with crazy, unjustifiable option prices.

The Roma is intended to be a daily driver yet if you want Apple car play, which is standard in a lot of ordinary cars, it costs you FOUR GRAND for a bit of software.

I was hoping the new V6 would be simpler and more like the Dino or 308. Unfortunately its a Turbo AND and a Hybrid. Most likely future owners will brag not about how fast their cars go but how long it was in the Dealers shop waiting for repairs.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Chevy is going to put a twin cam flat plane crank 5.2L N/A 650 HP engine back there that revs to 9000 RPM in 2022. Don't tell me Ferrari can't do the same anymore. I refuse to believe it.

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Happy to hear they are back in LeMans!

19. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You are missing the point. Carplay is installed in Italy by artisan technicians who have racing in their DNA!!

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

We strive for 7th!

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    They program each entertainment unit by hand!

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have followed Ferrari my entire life. I'm 53. in the 70's not many regular people knew about Ferrari - only car people ... and even then not all of them it was a small group. All through the 80's and 90's its growth was explosive - but i don't think it was because of F-1. it was just that wealth grew as well. Ferrari is the automotive equivalent now of Rolex... It used to be Porsche -but they are now like Tag Heuer.... its not that exclusive anymore - and you can find all the Ferrari you want if you search the internet. when it was rare to see one in the metal they were special. In Atlanta, on any given day I can see 2- 3 without even trying. - and that is not going into my garage to look at mine. F-1 performance may put the name on the internet more ... but doubt it has anything to to with it. its oversaturation.

24. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    F1 died when they all started sounding like Ladas. We now hear effing turbo muffled shopping carts I don't even watch F1 anymore.

polishhammer83, willrace and Hawkeye like this.
  25. Jim Moscardini

Oct 8, 2020
    Gainesville, VA USA
    Full Name:
    Jim Moscardini
    Couldn’t agree more. F1 has been ruined. Formula E cars sound almost as good. Innovation has been killed. They at least need to let engines explode and cars run out of fuel again. I think this has severely hurt Ferrari as well as all the other reasons posted.

Gazza21, john a barnes and TheMayor like this.