Ferrari Wheels Made of Butter? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Wheels Made of Butter?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by msgm1, Feb 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    My car currently runs Bridgestone RE980AS tires which claim M+S (mud/snow). 245/35R20 (95W) on the front. Has been in the shop since October so haven't had the chance to put the winter tires on. Will put on the Wintrac Pro's next season per all the recommendations. Now preparing for the summer. Roads here in SE Michigan can be quite choppy with lots of potholes so that's why I've been asking about the extra sidewall to protect the rims. Your advice has been invaluable!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im done with the FF. 2 summer wheels and 3 winter wheels bent. that makes 16 wheels since ive owned the car from 2012. biggest POS in the world and the worst $400k i have ever spent. literally a POS.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  3. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Do you think that this is true for all Ferrari’s i.e. prone to bending wheels or are the FF and Lusso more susceptible because of the weight of the car?
    Sorry to hear as I didn’t budget for lots of extra rims!

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have concluded that in the metro nyc area nothing after 575, 430, 456 is daily drivable. 458, f12, 599, 612 etc all bend rims like crazy.

5. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    NYC driving especially on highways very difficult and stressful I do it everyday. Agree, my 575 wheels I never hold my breathe when go over the rough terrains, never had one bend or break in one 12 years, as for my FF, I dd the car but I am very familiar with the highways and can basically drive blind as to where the problem spots are. Regardless though I have to constantly be paying careful attention to every inch of the road which make the drives a bit less desirable. Obviously the wheels are not the incredibly durable, but in all fairness the NYC area roads are insanely bad and i see many cars daily stuck on the side of the road with a blowout

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ill bet you lunch if you throw ur current ff wheels on a spinner at least one will be bent.

Napoli likes this.
  7. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    lol yep very likely

Napoli likes this.
  8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    You meant 5 wheels amongst the 4 full sets of wheels? Did you feel the bumps or potholes that bent the wheels?...Or were there just too many of them to know which was the culprit? Were they all front wheels?...Driver or passenger side? Were you on oem winter tire sizes? How high was your psi during the winter?

I made the mistake of going with 235/35, 285/35, and still haven't fully worn them down. I have those front winter tires at near 40 psi and luckily haven't, knock on wood, bent any wheels yet. If I were to reguarly drive around the greater NYC metro area, I would seriously consider having a custom set of steelies.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Sorry to hear of your pain. The FF is a heavy car and anyone who has followed my story of getting aftermarket wheels strong enough for the FF knows that performance forged wheels are hard to find for such a heavy car.

Before you give up on the car, maybe you could try a set of OZ superturismo Dakars. They’re designed to take the weight of heavy station wagons and 4x4s. The fronts have a load rating of 815kg (the FF only needs 500kg at the front) and the rears have a rating of 775kg (the FF needs 665kg). They aren’t the world’s most exciting design but they have the advantage of widening your stance by 6mm all round and they aren’t going to break the bank. The only disadvantage is that the rears are only available in a badass 21” rim size so you’ll be running less sidewall at the rear, not more. But if if you combine those wheels with a slightly beefier non-standard tyre setup then you’ll have a better chance of avoiding a bent rim than if you keep fitting the stock alloys and expecting a different result.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You could get a set of OZ Zeus for summer with 812 size shoes and do the OE with the winter boots like Caeruleus11 did.

The OZ come in F12 widths which will fit the 812 tyres perfectly, and they can also be ordered with offsets to match the FF. That much tyre on a quality wheel is a pretty tough package.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure they come in a size that fits. I may be mistaken, but aren't the Zeus wheels rated at like 900 kg?

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The ff isnt that good. Not worth the agita. Rather drive e36 m3, lancia delta, or an suv and not worry about it.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    5 wheels across 2 sets. Ive been through 8 sets of wheels. Fronts, backs....theyve all bent. Not due to tire pressure lol.

14. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    From what I can tell, you can get Dakars which fit. The load rating on the Zeus can be over 700kg depending on fit but for the ones which fit the FF, the fronts are rated at 550kg and rears are 670kg. But this all seems academic now that ttforcefed has thrown in the towel :(

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed.

I just had a look at Forgeline though. Some of their wheels such as the GA1R, GS1R and Z01R are rated for 950 kg. That's pretty impressive - expensive too.

ANOpax likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    problem is i bet they wld still bend...unless its 100% proof its not worth paying a big premium for a wheel

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    While the Ferrari wheels are very expensive, reality is that the quality is not that great - it's just a wheel. A Ferrari wheel is TÜV and JIS approved for what ever car it is on, that that is what they design it for, no more. The Forgeline wheel is rated by the same standard for 400 kg more, which is a massive difference. Does that mean you would not taco a barrel on a massive pothole? Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I have never had issues on the FF or the Lusso, so of course the road conditions where you are matter a lot. When Ferrari designed the wheels they did not take the NY Metro area into consideration I'm sure. You could always give Forgeline a call and see what they could offer you. I actually think they have some wheels in the 2500+ lbs range without them being chunky truck wheels.

One of the things Jerry and I have discussed a lot, is what I consider a ridiculous small tyre size on the FF and Lusso, especially the winter tyres. Which ever dingbat came up with the brilliant idea to fit 235/35R20 tyres to a two ton behemoth should be sacked right away. That's properly stupid if you ask me. 245/35R20 work on good European roads, but only just. It does seem like Jerry has really good luck with the 245/40R20 and 275/40R20 Vreds for the winter, so I do think we're on to something there. That's a lot of give in the tyre after all when you add that amount of sidewall.

Just as a comparison, just look at the stonkers Porsche fit to the Panamera to avoid issues. Maserati is now doing the same with the new QP.

What would definitely work for you as winter tyres, would be a set of 19" Cali wheels with 245/45R19 and 275/45R19. That's a lot of tyre wall lol.

But hey, just throwing out thoughts. If you feel like moving on, it's cool and understandable. Just thinking out loud I suppose.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #43 ttforcefed, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    one wheel was able to be fixed. he is going to try and balance out the other wheel with a wheel weight. i run lusso wheels on my ff. should i go with 255/35/20 in the front? looks like it will be +.7% bigger than oem. that wont screw with the awd?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You could air on the side of caution, just go no holds barred and run 245/40R20 and 315/35R20. I'm sure 255/35R20 will offer great protection and that is what Caeruleus11 is doing for the summer, but it sounds like you are in an insanely nasty area. At any rate, none of these sizes will screw anything up. You can opt for the Porsche spec 315/35R20 rear if you go the 245/40-315/35 route. Reason being that the tread is slightly narrower and geared towards oversteer than the Ferrari K1 spec 315 shoe.

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So only negative is the odometer inaccuracy?
    245 over the 255 then?

21. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Wheel and tire damage is a given in NY. Heavy cars like MB it happens routinely and it’s why the push wheel and tire insurance. My original SL65 had titanium rims and no insurance offered- 2 years,18 rims and 24 tires later- I vowed never to go without I wheel insurance. Maybach with run flat tires I thought would be great- but 10 sidewall blowouts later with rapid sidewall failure- well at least I had wheel and tire insurance.
    Heavy cars and low profile tires simply don’t mix.
    I for one have given up on using any of my high performance cars as a daily driver and have gone the tank route- Wrangler with 37” tires

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yep.
    Your speedo will be bang on though:)

23. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Dayam, that's a tire per month! Tire shops and companies there must be making bank. What's going on with the road there?! Now I'm not even sure if steelies can handle it either.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's just TT being impatient in Manhattan traffic. He saw the car was 4wd so he's taking the Die Hard 3 shortcut through Central Park: p

Sorry. Couldn't resist:D

otakki likes this.
  25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Haha if that was case i wldnt complain. 90 percent of my driving is in suburbia!