Young people driving ferraris/other exotics | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Young people driving ferraris/other exotics

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dr. K, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ple0107

ple0107 Rookie

Apr 2, 2012
    My dad told me they were obviously drug dealers, lol! Seriously, these days I would think they are entrepreneurs, probably in the tech sector, but years ago I would have thought that they were driving daddy's car. I just hope that all Ferrari drivers have one for themselves and not just to impress the neighbors.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #77 paulchua, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    I get what you're saying. It's human nature; there is a part of us that is hard wired' to make generalizations. I also understand that you don't have the luxury of sizing up each person with an infinite lens. Many situations where you have limited time, so you have to think quickly and make the best choice based on your past experiences.

I'll leave you with this, though. Many here know Charles Miles; he helped open up Silicon Valley Ferrari and worked for Ferrari for over 20 years. Charles' previous experience was at Beverly Hills Ferrari. Charles and is now with ISSIMI. I had the pleasure of being his literal next-door neighbor.

There were a couple of late nights of conversations, let me tell ya. The decades of dealing with Silicon Valley Ferrari clientele will teach ya a thing or two. So when he talks, I shut up and listen!

Summed up by this: Age and appearance were Charles' minimal measures of initial judgment -why? Because he would have lost countless business if had so. I find this true even in my own Ferrari Driver's Club. I won't name who, but some folks who are very wealthy show up like they are a hobo. One young guy daily drives his speciale, parks on literally on the street. Every time I drive by, It kills me (the parking outside) but I'm so happy that he owns the car and not the other way around. He sold his company to Facebook, and he's super nice.

P.S. @zhangster, if you ever want to join the club, visit here all are welcome!

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i used to park my 348 on the street outside my house in london.
    partially because it was pretty safe...and partially because i secretly hoped somebody would steal it - or at least set it on fire.
    they did steal it tho...3 times.
    the cursed car of my life.

Texas Forever, Lusso123 and paulchua like this.
  4. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
    I see your perspective crystal clear Paul. Let me just add that I am constantly judged by other people due to my ethnicity and soft-spoken nature. Sometimes I will
    take the time to break that stereotype, but often times it's not worthwhile.

Let me PM you re: the club. Thank you for the invite.

paulchua likes this.
  5. Jdemo

Jdemo Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jdimina
    Funny story..when I was 16 I worked all summer and told my father I was going to buy a Triumph TR 6 with the money. He said “no it goes to the bank, no 16 year old should drive a sports car..he continued to say what’s next a Ferrari”. ...45 years later I bought a 458 and now a Portofino and my dream came true...sorry to say he was not hear to see it although he probably would have said the same thing...

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I love it. My pops taught me how to drive stick in his NSX in 1995 (I was 15). I burned the clutch real BAD. I can still smell it today :).

#BuyManuals

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm thinking of all the Ferrari owners I know, they are all at least in their early 40's or much older. But then I don't live in Florida or California. ;)

8. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    I realise most of the posters here are in the US, but here in the UK it's quite common to see young South Asian kids driving Ferraris, Lambos etc. It's a cultural thing, they rent them for a day / weekend to show off at weddings. Occasionally they do get wrapped round lamp posts, but most of them are OK - I suspect they're putting on a brave face for the crowd, but are actually nervous as hell!

The rental costs must be really high, just to cover the insurance. I'm guessing a minimum of £1,000 a day.

It's always baffled me that Americans say "I could care less", when we say (correctly!) "I couldn't care less". Saying "I could care less" means that you do care about it, which is the exact opposite of what you're trying to convey. In this context it just doesn't make sense, so why is it standard amongst Americans?

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    paulchua likes this.
  10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    it isn't

paulchua likes this.
  11. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I could care less about your comment.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Haha. No Sphynx cats look like attorneys.

just kidding! Everybody hates lawyers, that is until they need one! Hear that Dan Beaty?! I love ya!

Attached Files:

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for the grammar lesson, (not being sarcastic.). I suspect one hears the phrase used incorrectly and then propagates it.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hahahaha. I got to say, I like the 348 quite a bit, so sorry to hear you had a miserable experience.

15. Jo430

Jo430 Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Ca
    Full Name:
    joe jung
    Because it matters if it was earned and not given. People who earned it knows this.

Boosted930 likes this.
  16. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Bought my first exotic at 26, felt invincible until I understeered into guardrail on an unbanked downhill on-ramp and wrote off my dream car, the Evora S.

At 29 used the insurance proceeds to buy an Aston DBS 6 Speed. Then, 31 added my first Ferrari, the F430, and now at 33 have the EVO RWD Spyder on order to add to garage as well.

The "smart" thing to do is invest everything, but I'm too obsessed with cars to be happy in life without them. Supercars in Toronto aren't a big deal, I think general public doesn't really care or I've gotten just looks or nice car compliments. The only negativity comes from some friends that think it's a waste, but other then that all good vibes

SingleClutch and paulchua like this.
  17. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    My only thought is "How did they do it?" It took me half a lifetime, with wealth-building, raising a family, and everything else coming first.

Rory J, SingleClutch and paulchua like this.
  18. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    My only interest in other peoples success was to maybe learn something and use it to benefit and not begrudge them.
    Hardly a day goes by that I don't learn a little something.Most would agree I believe.

19. susan j harder

Mar 22, 2020
    east hampton
    Full Name:
    susan j harder
    Fact is, our cars are keeping us young. We feel like teenagers when we drive them.
    I feel the same age now in my 1967 Sting Ray; as I felt in the 1964 Sting Ray that I had in high school. All I have to do grab the stick, hear the engine, and drive that car and all the memories flood back.
    As a woman driving my F12 Ferrari, XKE Jaguar, and Corvette Sting Ray, no one thinks the cars are mine, so don't judge a book by it's cover. They are even more surprised when I tell them I work on my cars.

ShineKen, Texas Forever, ross and 5 others like this.
  20. mercedesc63

mercedesc63 Rookie

Dec 15, 2020
    Nowadays teenagers in this digital age are getting cars well above what they previously could have thanks to technology.
    All I do is accept that now with the internet there are new ways of making money and its a fact.
    Many on here know if played correctly owning a ferrari could cost next to nothing.
    I don't think there are as many trust fund and inheritance examples out there as many people seem to think.

ZF123 likes this.
  21. ZF123

ZF123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2015
    Bay Area
    My favorite double edged sword, the internet! If a kid plays their cards right they can get into a Ferrari while they're still a teen. It might seem crazy, but it's not, the internet offers plenty of resources and even more distractions, it's ultimately up to the kid to make the right/wrong decisions.

btw, there are quite a few generous parents out there, especially in tech hubs... Best way to vet someone is by talking to em

Here's my story: I wanted to buy something, my mom told me that I had to go get a job (retail) & buy said item myself. I was going to do that, but after talking to my dad & others, I decided that I would exhaust every other option before doing retail. I didn't want to spend my time doing that.

Started a biz, 1st year was slow, was making less than my retail friends. I stayed in the seemingly useless biz due to my plan/projections & how much fun it was. Beginning of the 2nd year was also rough, had a major back surgery which forced me to stay in bed for a good chunk of time, I continued to work and used knowledge from the prev year to grow. This was crucial as I noticed that there was a less saturated (but more complicated) market to get into. Mid 2nd year I saw a hole which cld be filled with software. I was 17 at the time and didn't know much about programming, I had taken two programming classes in highschool which was nowhere near enough to build the software. After over 1yr of learning, and LOTS of frustrating nights/early mornings, I had an efficient and working tool. Watching it work 2 times in a row was by far one of the most satisfying things ever.

On a separate note, it's kind of surprising to see that "my money v daddies money" is still a thing in fchat. I thought it only existed amongst teens. If someone earned it themselves, great, if not, it's also great. I just hope the money doesnt give them bad habits. EOD money is money, no?

22. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    This raises a related point about priorities, fiscal responsibility, etc. Some people prioritize Ferrari ownership and put it first, perhaps before a home purchase or retirement account. Others use the Ferrari as a reward for achieving financial independence. Some pay cash for their toys, others must finance.

Certainly more people can afford a Ferrari than have interest in buying one, and more than one Ferrari owner has insolvent finances.

All this to say, merely owning a Ferrari is a poor barometer of personal wealth or professional success.

MaurizioAM and 26street like this.
  23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    good for you !
    my mom who will be 78 later this year, doesnt do any wrenching, but she likes driving her 456mgta :)

JP365 likes this.
  24. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So true! Although people may like or appreciate its a select view that would really really want to own one, then out of those only a few can afford them!

25. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I live in an area that has lots of 16 year old Ferrari owners. Rich Chinese everywhere. The last year that my son was in High School there were two kids that went to his school who had brand new 458s and a kid with a new McLaren. There was a kid in the neighborhood who didn't go to his school that had a new Rolls Royce Ghost. None of these cars were their parents cars.