Titanium bolts | FerrariChat

Titanium bolts

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Terrence, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Hi

Anyone have experiences with OEM or aftermarket ones? Any high quality aftermarket ones worth mentioning? Or just go with OEM?

Thanks.

Terrence

2. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I have the Ferrari Titanium wheel bolts on my 2015 458 Italia. They were on the car with a set of Ferrari Collection rims when I bought it a few months ago. The salesman said the Ferrari Titanium bolts cost about $1,800.00 for a complete set.

I have no information on aftermarket ones, but I have heard they are available. I’m glad they are on there and I really like the head design as well. Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Terrence likes this.
  3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I bought the factory Ferrari 2 piece bolts, a little pricey but I liked them the best. Eurospares seems to have the best pricing.

4. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Curious if anyone has the aftermarket ones and see if any of them are good.

5. mrchaztsai

mrchaztsai Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2020
    Hong Kong/Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Charlie T
    I have a set of Novitec extended titanium studs coming in, will take photos and report back once they're on

Terrence likes this.
  6. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I went on Eurospare and had a hard time finding the section that would advertise them. I went on "Wheels" and saw bolts but it didn't specify anything that I understood.

7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Part number for 2 piece Ti bolts:

8. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I used exotic car gear and really liked them. Price look and finish were excellent

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've run them on all my cars. Really like the look and quality. Stick with the Ferrari ones (even though Ferrari doesn't make them as I recall), would be my advice. The newer ones (from Ferrari) have a captive washer that is much nicer than a lot of the older style (which do not include that). The after market ones are probably okay also, although I personally stick with the stuff that Ferrari provides.

Make sure you verify that the length is correct also, as I seem to recall there is some variation sometimes (usually only a couple mm, but it's always a good idea to double check that the threads are going in far enough, but not too far when mounting the wheels).

Ray

10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    What is your reasoning for using Titanium bolts? 30-40 % (if pure) wt reduction over standard, Strength( The are less strong) than stock. Not being critical .

430jm and JariT like this.
  11. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Personally I really don’t care for the standard chrome wheel bolts, only chrome on the car and looks out of place.

Ti bolts look good, lighter and stronger.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    A better question is why is Ferrari still using ugly chrome bolts from the 1980's - on $300,000 cars?

Ray

13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I do not like the looks of the chrome 22mm socket head chrome bolts on my 488GTB. I would much prefer the 17mm Allen Socket 2pc titanium bolts.

Something like these...https://www.exoticcargear.com/product/ferrari-2-piece-titanium-wheel-bolts-finish/
    wonder how they are compared to the stock Pista Ferrari OEM bolts?

14. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    Had them on my 430 along challenge style wheels. They are very light for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks. No doubt they look nicer. Other than just replacing standard bolts do the wheels need to be re-balanced?.

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    No.

Ray

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    They look half way decent; but the question you really should be asking here is what is the country of origin. My guess would be china.

I've called Exotic Car Gear in the past and wasn't all that impressed with their staff, nor their level of technical knowledge regarding the products they offer. Maybe I just ended up on the phone with an idiot but I was less than impressed. As I remember, their Titanium lug bolts are made in China, but you can double check that.

Also, keep in mind that not all bolts are created equal. I buy a lot if stainless and titanium hardware and there can be a lot of variation in tolerances. A lot of the titanium hardware from Asia will have grossly under spec major thread diameters (rolled or not) and this can result in loose / sloppy engagement. Call Exotic Car Gear and ask them either what class the M14 threads are and/or ask them to provide the major & minor thread diameters. Even just throwing a mic on a couple of bolts - and seeing what the major diameter is - would tell you a lot.

Case and point: I just had a batch of M10 Titanium exhaust studs custom made for me in the UK. Even going with a very high quality producer, I still ran across a couple of studs which had to be rejected due to under specification major diameter threads. With regard to hardware from China, etc. I'd say that 30 to 50% of the stuff is so bad that it immediately just goes right into the trash. With the hardware I sell here and there on ebay, I mic every individual bolt before I ship it and I write the readings on the wrapper for each titanium stud or bolt I sell.

I think a lot of places can get away with selling junk these days because a lot of people just don't know any better. Machining isn't taught in schools any more and machinists are starting to be a dying bread. So most people bolt things up without really checking to make sure that it's actually manufactured correctly. But any engineer or machinists worth their salt checks things like thread specifications and tolerances and figment, etc. In those cases, when you do, it often becomes painfully apparent how poorly made a lot of this hardware from china really is. Just last year, I had a batch if 12 stainless bolts show up from china and only 3 were correctly made. That meant 9 out of 12 had to be thrown away. That's ridiculous.

If Exotic Car Gear is merely importing stuff from Asia and then turning around and selling it out the door as fast as they can, then you really need to be on your toes with some of this stuff - such as the lug bolts holding the wheels onto your Ferrari.

As the old saying goes, "usually you get what you pay for"

Ray

18. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Well put Ray!

RayJohns likes this.
  19. J A

J A Rookie

Jul 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    J A
    Does anyone know the weight of a 70004715 bolt I want to know if mine are genuine ferrari and this may be the best way to find out
    Thanks

20. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I paid $1800 for Ferrari bolts as I felt that buying $12k Pista Rims for the incoming F-8 was not a place to cut corners.

willcrook and Rexcat458 like this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I don't understand the persistent weight questions about the lug bolts, other than perhaps general knowledge. However the real reason would be if there's a purpose of racing and the entire car is made to meet the weight/power ratio criteria.

The weight and impact difference of the Titanium and regular bolts is negligible and insensible, as they are located close to the center of the wheel (circle), which is best described my centripetal force. Do they have an effect? Yes. Will you feel it in driving? No. Are the lug bolts better? (presuming they are what they say they are). Yes, and they look much nicer.

Heck, you can have them made from Adamantium and you would still not notice the difference. You would get to brag that they are made from Wolverine skeleton, but that would be about it.

Chizz likes this.
  22. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    The weight saving is obviously insignificant but there are other benefits. They look a whole lot better than the fugly shiny chrome ones. They also don't loosen during hard track use like the standard ones can be prone to.

Enzo Belair, Rexcat458 and GT2goneF like this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    blkdiablo33 and GT2goneF like this.
  24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    For much greater weight savings, buy a Braille Lithium ION battery. Same price and save 30 pounds.

I doubt you will feel any significant performance improvement with the Ti lugs.
    They do look cool.

Dream big and do both!

RayJohns and GT2goneF like this.