Retromobile 2021 delayed to early June | FerrariChat

Retromobile 2021 delayed to early June

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Nembo1777, Nov 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    According to fully reliable people in the know; those who have booked a booth, Retromobile is not cancelled, as was expected for weeks now, but delayed, rescheduled from the planned February 3-7 date to the first week of June.

Show vendors were informed officially yesterday so the public announcement will come any day now.

That will be an intense week for those of us doing both but good that it is not cancelled, at least for now.

375+ likes this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    PS: Sorry busy day by both I meant Retromobile AND Sport et Collection/500 Ferraris against cancer which is that weekend as well.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I understand Retromobile Paris 2021 has now been completely cancelled.

Marcel Massini

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed it seems a new announced date is for February 2022.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Correct, unfortunately... February 2 to 6, 2022 are the new official dates.

So the usual time of year for the next edition like every year since the late seventies... except 2021; another Covid casualty...

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Major dealers such as Fiskens and Hüni plus other British dealers appear to have cancelled their participation in the February 2022 Retromobile in Paris.
    I wonder if that event will still happen? Who knows more?

Marcel Massini

375+ likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Hello Marcel,

I don't have any more news than their last "official" denial that it would be cancelled, which happened on their Facebook account on December 20th, in reaction to many rumors saying that it would indeed be cancelled. They stated that it will indeed happen...
    Of course, the situation being what it is now, rather different than what it was on December 20th, with "Omicron" on the run, who knows?

Rgds

9. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I even heard more bad news regarding Retromobile. I hope, it is not true....

One dealer was warned by another dealer not to wire any money...

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Bump.

Marcel Massini

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Last news, dated yesterday, is that it is still scheduled to happen:
    "les organisateurs travaillent d'arrache-pied pour que le salon puisse se tenir dans le respect des consignes sanitaires données par les pouvoirs publics"

(For the non-french speaking readers: "the promoters are working relentlessly for the salon to happen while respecting the sanitary precautions as defined by the public authorities")

I find this rather weird, taking the "Omicron" context and latest figures into account...
    (by the way, my parisian flat is exactly ten minutes by foot from the Parc des Expositions at Porte de Versailles, so I can see every day how empty the streets are)

Rgds

readplays and 375+ like this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Je vous remercie beaucoup, Monsieur.
    Avec mes meilleures salutations.
    Marcel Massini

readplays likes this.
  13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    https://www.largus.fr/actualite-automobile/retromobile-2022-peugeot-citroen-et-ds-pas-presents-officiellement-10818406.html

Marcel,

To be fully transparent, the latest news hereenclosed in the link above; I know you can read the article in French, but, to sum-it up quickly for the non-french speaking audiences:

"the promoters are still working very hard but many major participants, including Peugeot, Citroën, will not be officially there; Renault is still confident however; neither will some major exposants be there, as the transport conditions through Europe are too complicated these days..."

Looks like it could well be an empty shell; not very encouraging, or a glass half-full or half-empty...

Rgds

Marcel Massini likes this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you.

Marcel Massini

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I just spoke today to a major London classic car dealer who said that of course he cancelled his stand....he said the organizers are going to make an announcement soon and are talking about doing it in March...what difference would that make? June like initially planned last year would make more sense. The Omicron wave has already peaked in South Africa so in a few weeks hopefully the numbers will be down here too so June could well work...
    I am not rushing to buy my TGV tickets to Paris anytime soon...alas.

readplays and 375+ like this.
  16. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Girardo just sent an email announcing they've pulled out as well.

17. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Beat me to it!

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    TGV to Paris? Seriously?
    NO way!

Marcel Massini

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Hüni, Fiskens, Girardo, Kidston, most major manufacturers, plus many others all withdrawn.
    Would be so much better to either totally cancel Retromobile or postpone to fall of 2022.

Marcel Massini

readplays and bloomberg like this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    1st class isolated seat (not expensive) with no one across you, choosing the quiet compartment option (no families or people shouting and propagating germs). You either risk going to Paris or you don't but be aware that Mrs Paris mayor Bolchevik dictator Hidalgo has imposed 30km speed limits everywhere except a FEW big avenues, ever wider bike lanes ever fewer car lanes, hence nightmarish traffic jams. Know that you need a special sticker on your windscreen to enter Paris with your car...at the end of the day you would still be inside a show with thousands of people, like the crowded aisles of an airplane when boarding or disembarking...or the line to get in at Retromobile, to get a coffee etc etc etc...

bloomberg likes this.
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Actually, it's not that bad, Marcel...compared to the tube ("Métro").
    :)

Rgds

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Not that bad? It is extremely bad.
    A few years ago, sitting in the TGV at the station and waiting to depart, the passenger sitting directly next to me, was robbed by a criminal, less than one metre away from me.
    It was a passenger from Asia who lost absolutely everything, including passport, purse, cell phone. All within ten seconds. It could easily have been me instead of the poor Asian man.

And another case a few years ago, in Paris, I was direct witness when a man in front of me was stabbed with knifes by two criminals, right at the TGV station. Less than ten meters away from me.

Marcel Massini

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #24 Nembo1777, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Are you talking about Gare the Lyon, the Paris TGV station named gare de Lyon? I have been there many times for half a century and never seen any incident. You were very unlucky there, sorry to hear of your experiences.

Gare du nord and gare de l'est are not so good yes though the stabbing would have been major news.

Regarding Nerofer's metro comment yes that is to avoid at the moment. A rolling Covid cesspool.

Since the neighborhood of Retromobile, Porte de Versailles, the 15th arrondissement is not very interesting, not much to do, I normally stay three nights in a hotel off rue St Honore in the 1st arrondissement but that means half an hour metro morning and late afternoon...in this case whether now (unlikely) or June I would have to reluctantly reconsider to avoid the metro 100% and stick to taxis with a hotel walking distance...

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I understand that this is scary indeed Marcel, no question.
    BUT: I have been taking the TGV twice a week for 15 years now, and still doing it, and never, ever saw anything remotely like this...
    You have been very unlucky.

Rgds

Nembo1777 likes this.