Michelin PS4Ss vs Goodyear Eagle F1s | FerrariChat

Michelin PS4Ss vs Goodyear Eagle F1s

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Themaven, Mar 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Tyre questions don’t come up enough on Fchat considering these are the only contact between our cars and the road. Quite a few posters including me have sung the praises of Michelin PS4Ss (very different tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 4) in various forums, as the best all round fast road tyres. For sure a different league to P Zeros.
    I was interested to see that Porsche is releasing many 992s, including mine, wearing Eagle F1s. Was this cost cutting like P Zeros, lots of 991s came with P Zeros (as did many Ferraris, Bentleys, Astons, Lambos, etc, to their detriment).
    I haven’t done a direct comparison but I think the Eagles are great. So I looked them up, having not had them before, and found this video and report.
    I strongly recommend anyone with a fast car takes a look. Interesting stuff. particularly the conclusion on the video. I may even swap my F cars to F1s when the time comes. I am enjoying them a lot on my 992 S.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4S-VS-Goodyear-Eagle-F1-SuperSport.htm

steven t evans likes this.
  2. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I read the review rather than watching the video. I don't know the difference in cost but Goodyear probably has an uphill battle convincing Ferrari owners to choose the Eagles over the PS-4's which have a great reputation and are also familiar to many F and P car owners. Glad they are trying though. If I could save $500 on the set I might give the Eagles a try on my Boxster Spyder.

3. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Let's throw in the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.....

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

ZF123 likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In the ratings by Tire Rack users, the Eagle is absolutely terrible on wet roads. Dry performance is comparable to the Michelin. Treadwear performance is worse than the Michelin, but then that's only money.

So I guess if you are not going to drive in the rain the Eagles would be reasonably comparable. I drive my Ferraris in all weather, so there is no way I could buy them. In fact I'm getting a new set of the Pilot Sport 4S K2's for my 612 at the end of this month for my trip to Florida in April.

5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I have the Eagle F1s on my corvette. When it is above 60 degrees and dry, these are the closest thing to racing slicks you can get in a street tire. Solid at speed and great grip in the corners. I don’t think they are any more or less noisy than other performance tires. OTOH, all performance cars and tires, are noisier than sedans. Under 55 degrees they get a bit slippery and I switch to all season Bridgestone tires. When I got caught on the Ohio turnpike in a rain storm in a construction zone, they were good, but not amazing. As a summer only performance tire I highly recommend them.

Nospinzone likes this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #6 ginoBBi512, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    I would buy Continental Extreme Contact Patch / Michelins / Pirellis , before I would buy from Goodyear. The OP is correct, Ferrari and Goodyear dont go hand in hand, same with Porsche. Its a corvette tire in my estimation. I have never ever seen a tire test putting Goodyear ahead of Pirelli, Michelin, Continental Extremes, but then again, I have not seen every tire test over the last few years. The big competitions have mostly between The Ps and The Ms, with a few others. Tire feedback opinions for the most part dont measure , for lack of a better word, going around corners fast enough to see how they perform once they start to slide and break loose,(of course with non pro drivers on the street) then it becomes a different story, same with motorcycles. As far as rain is concerned, most F car drivers , including myself, dont drive their cars in the rain, let alone give feedback while trying to hustle their cars around corners when the road is wet, so theres that.

Thank you

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    What was interesting in the video is how the Goodyears blitzed the PS4Ss on a wet track - way faster. Something I didn’t expect, as the Michelins on my Ferrari and AMG C63 are fantastic in the wet.

It’s worth watching the video, as well as reading the review. The tyres were driven 2000 miles each set, on the same car, and the reviewer is good. He evaluates the subtle differences between them, and makes some great points about handling feel and nuance. He is also not biased, as you will see in the conclusion. A few minutes very well spent for anyone who has tyres on their cars :)

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i wouldnt use goodyears even if they were free

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Because?

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Is there a class thing about Goodyears in the US? Do they have particular connotations? Are they perceived as somehow Dukes of Hazzard? Sorry I am wholly ignorant of this as I guess most non-Americans would be..I just see them all as rubber for wheels, and may the best rubber win. Genuinely intrigued to know more.

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Yes. I think many people associate Goodyear tires with wannabe performance cars because the gatorback was designed specifically for the corvette. I don’t get it. Goodyear makes tires at many different price and performance points just like everyone else. If Goodyear made F1s for the 365, I’d buy them in a heartbeat over the XWXs. Yet for many Goodyear tires suck.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That’s interesting to know, thank you. Looking at the history (well, their Wikipedia page) I see that Goodyear makes tyres for all kinds of equipment including tractors and earth movers so I can see it’s not a premium sports tyre brand..but then a lot of trucks wear Michelins. The Corvette associations seem to turn Ferrari drivers off, but I guess a lot of component manufacturers make for both?

On the Goodyear page it also says

The company is the most successful tire supplier in Formula One history, with more starts, wins, and constructors' championships than any other tire supplier.[5]

so, that’s the most successful tyre supplier and the most successful manufacturer in Ferrari..should be a match made in heaven!

Certainly, I can’t see anything worse about Goodyear than certain Chinese owned tyres with an Italian name that many Ferraris come with as OEM which are brittle and cheap feeling...or am I missing something!

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    every set i have ever had turned out to be garbage. funny wear, cupping, noise, harsh ride, etc.

i currently have michelins on everything i own.

14. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Buy whatever tire turns you on, most cars will not be driven hard enough to take any tire to its limitations so who cares and whats the difference , most folks are more interested in mileage in my opinion in any event. My P ZEROS are great tires, but the mileage is just as bad their motorcycle tires, they grip like hell and wear out in under 3000 miles, its that simple. With the P Zeros, I go through 2 rears for every front set, if that, on the fronts.

Thank you

steven t evans likes this.
  15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, that has been my experience as well with the P Zeros. I have switched to Michelin PS 4S.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have been shocked how much grip the PS4s have in 20 degree weather on my 430

17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    There is not a good reason to write off Goodyear based on name alone. The PS4S is a superior tire, and priced accordingly. For value and performance I typically choose the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. About half (or less) cost compared to the PS4S, but almost as good performance, and great predictability, smooth ride, low noise, good looks, etc...

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I talked to a guy who I believe had these on his 328, he had no complaints, like I said, choose your rubber based on how you like to drive, and what your expectations are regarding mileage. I was not that concerned about mileage, so I was not worried about sacrificing that vs, grip. I will look forward to giving you my mileage feedback on the Contis Extreme Contact Patch that are now on my 328, I have already posted about the grip, which is amazing, so they might be my preference when I switch back from the Comps rims, back to my other 17s.

Thank you

BT likes this.
  19. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Joke's on you, Im fitting tracks to my Lusso!

20. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Is everyone too young to remember these commercials?

JP365 and ShineKen like this.
  21. ZF123

ZF123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2015
    Bay Area
    Nice and grippy until rain comes in, that's when the real fun starts! ;)

I think PS4S are great for people who daily their cars, they are pretty dummy proof. Cup 2's are perfect for weekend cars. No experience w goodyears, i've been told that they wear quicker and don't grip as well.

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I love my PS4Ss. They have transformed every car I have fitted them to. But sometimes I think a harder and more “fun” tyre would suit more. But a Cup 2 might just skip and bump too much over the UK’s rubbish roads.

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Increase the PSI?

24. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    What tires came on the McLaren F1?
    Asking for a friend.

25. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I’m almost 50. I remember when these ads ran for the first time when I was 17. The car scenes were cool, but then Enzo stepped out! Still makes me smile.

Mimmo Blue likes this.