Thinking seriously about a Diamond NG40 Diesel? Thoughts? | FerrariChat

Thinking seriously about a Diamond NG40 Diesel? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Jet A...in a Diesel package. I've posted on the Diamond Aviators forum, but no one really seems to have enough experience with these. I like the Diamond's safely record, visibility, etc. but I am unsure about the diesel. One the surface it seems to offer a lot. Simplicity, smoother believe it or not, terrific fuel economy ergo range, and Jet A. Downsides seem to be a little more weight, some say nose heavy, higher V speeds, and uncertain about the diesel for reliability. Do far there seem to be no major complaints.

150 knots / 172 mph should be ok although faster would be better.

Does anyone here have any diesel aircraft experience of late? I know about the earlier issues but they are suppose to have been ratified.

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Moderator, please move this to aviation forum. Thank you.

3. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Been flying a DA-42NG for about 5 years now. The new diesels seem to be pretty reliable. I haven't had a single time when I had to cancel a flight. There have been some minor issues, glow plug failure (but still got it to start), various erroneous faults displayed on the G1000 that go away on their own. The DA-42 engines run very smooth and it is a great aircraft.
    Beware of alternator failure, I think you have 20 to 30 minutes after a failure before the engine quits. There was a Da-42 that had a dead battery, he jump started it and had a dual engine failure.
    You aren't supposed to move the prop on the ground. The crank sensor can lose its position.
    The salesman told us when we bought it that an overhaul would be 22K, we later found out it was more like 60k.
    I do believe the diesels are more reliable then any of the piston engines.

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So...got a chance to fly in one of these and it is amazing for it's class. I guess it is the only one in it's class as I don't know of any other manufacturer committed to Diesel power. It's super simple with the push button run up and single lever throttle. Surprisingly quieter and much smoover than the gas variant, fuel efficient, faster including Garmin, etc. Neat plane.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nice it can use Jet-A, which is a lot less susceptible to fire than av grade gasoline.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agreed, but I think they make Mooney's feel spacious:D

Juan-Manuel Fantango likes this.
  8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Yes, and not nearly as fast. Fred at Premier got us in one of his new Monneys, man was it fast compared to. what we are use to....

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #9 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    I just found this thread again, and thought I would provide an update.

We went to the factory in London, ON May of 2019 to see it being completed. This turned out to be very educational, entertaining as them make them from powder, resin and cloth to finished product.

It has been satisfying to see the happiness owning and flying this plane has been for Julie. She loves it. The NG is simple, safe, fuel efficient, and handles wonderfully. The visibility form the cockpit is outstanding. I would recommend this plane for anyone looking in this space. I think we are however going to look into the NG50 for 2022 delivery as more speed would be nice. We generally cruise around 140 at about 7 gph in the NG40. Anyway, headed to St Petersburg KSPG https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSPG for a week, something made just a little easier with the NG. Below are a few pictures at the factory and of her taking delivery in Clemson, SC. What a happy fun day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Island Time, tritone, Bisonte and 2 others like this.
  10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hey Rob, what are you flying these days? Or who is flying you I might add:rolleyes:.

11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm just guessing here but I'd imagine the insurance cost for a retractable gear aircraft that cost a million dollars is going to be pretty high. Since this is a natural upgrade from the DA40 and even an SR22, there's going to be a lot of gear up accidents in the first five years and that's going to send the insurance costs through the roof.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Does Julie have her instrument ticket?

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Working on it, might even take some lessons while down at SPG

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Could be with the 50, and on paper, it might still look like the SR22 is a better plane performance wise, so there is that too...I just think it will be a neat plane with the larger diesel. F1 graphics are cool... Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Jump to 1:35