550 Barchetta - want to talk me out of it ?? Help ! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

550 Barchetta - want to talk me out of it ?? Help !

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Scraggy, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I agree, and although I’ve never been onboard a 550 Barchetta (but have on a 575SA) I would say the helmets are the perfect solution.

When we have done some longer tours in the 1972 V12 E-type roadster, the helmet is a really, really good way to avoid the harmful noise in highways. It’s ok to have the hood (top) up in Germany at 200+km/h but in France and Italy etc with max speed of 130km/h and noisy highways and hot weather the helmet is perfect. :) And it helps with keeping long hair from becoming a huge mess! LOL. Yes, I am an ex motorcyclist and yes some folks will think it’s a show off, but so what! You will be in a 20+ years old V12 Ferrari so basically anything goes as long as you are enjoying it, right? :)

Cheers!

F456M likes this.
  2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
  3. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    cgt000 and ralfabco like this.
  4. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
  5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don’t know if it’s factory. Like you I am paranoid of damaging the lorica and if this was how some of them came it’d be a superb “update”, even if to have two “sets” of center consoles made for each car for practicality/originality.

Alternatively I have also thought of sourcing the leather change holder that may have been euro only to install, just to keep the top of the center hump lorica from wearing/pilling.

F456M, cgt000 and ralfabco like this.
  6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I need to find a solution for the original C/F racing seats. The original seats I have did not come with the car. The C/F racing seats were not correctly upholstered, by the P.O.

The color does not match the door panels and the dancing Donkey is stitched - it should be embossed.

I should physically bring the seats to Italia and have it done by: https://www.interniautomaieli.com

My good local friend was born in Italia and visits the old country each year. He has the same interests and the matching old world accent. Luigi can do all the talking and obtain the price given to the locals :D.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All kinds of unlisted options were available from the factory if you knew who to ask. Especially on limited production models like the Barchetta

8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I can believe that. So, outside of having a window sticker to say otherwise would an owner showing or selling a barchetta with a leather center console and rear wall vs a lorica version get much static? I’d be hard pressed not to have them redone all things being equal.

9. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Doesn’t seem like it’d be difficult to have them recovered properly if the guts (shells) are correct. I saw a pair on eBay recently with the proper guts that someone had improperly recovered and considered getting them for another of my cars just because they’re so comfortable. Ultimately passed though.

ralfabco likes this.
  10. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Message me the last 6 digits of your VIN and I can see if I can find anything on the original build sheet - I work for an authorized dealer.

F456M and JAM1 like this.
  11. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Can't believe I have not seen this thread sooner. Obviously from my handle, you can see that I am a former Barchetta owner. My brother begged, begged me to sell it to him a couple of years ago, and I did. It was, simply, the greatest car I have ever owned. The 550 is bullet proof and when you take off the roof, it makes it the most beautiful car in the world. I never got the helmets. I bought the car from a guy who lost a ****-ton of money and needed to sell it. He never gave me the helmets.

The roof was an abortion. I had it on once (after I bought it) and it was pitiful. It collected dust in my garage for years and I took it to my brother over 6 months after I sold him the car. I had that Michalak roof, which was nice, but it was still a bit awkward.

I drove my car over 55,000 miles. Changed a headlight assembly, battery, brakes. That's about it.

Wish I had never sold it. But my brother has it and I may try to buy it back. I am in the market for an SA right now.

The 550PFB was a bit smaller, and the SA seats are bigger. But I am 6'3" and I fit OK. When I lived in Atlanta, I drove it to the SC coast at least 4 times, and it was effortless. I did have to stop a few times because the wind did make my skin numb after 5 hours.

I smoked cigars in it, ate food in it, spilled coffee in it.

It was a glorious car.

BaronM69, 430tdf, -K1- and 5 others like this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I am not sure even the build sheet would have some of those options since they did not have an option code.

13. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    From what I know, direct sun causes the discoloration of the Lorica. Why would they use such a material for a car lacking a top!

JAM1 likes this.
  14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

Love your story!!
    The 550s are made to be used. Mine has 100.000+ miles and runs like a new engine. Post some photos of it please!

430tdf and Thomas S. like this.
  15. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It’s not even the discoloration that bothers me, I actually find it kinda unique to these. It’s the fact the wear is rough and the lorica freys instead of pulling like alcantara so it can’t even be cleaned up. It just looks ratty when it’s brushed against over time. The leather on that stuff and lorica on binnacle seems to be just the ticket!

cgt000 likes this.
  16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Lorica is another word for instrument cluster? Never heared of it before. Sorry :)

17. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    No, Lorica is the material Ferrari used on the binnacle (instrument cluster housing) and most of the center consoles/back walls. It’s similar to alcantara in appearance.

F456M likes this.
  18. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Can never go wrong with leather. If you have to redo yours then go with leather. You're keeping the car so more important is what you like most.

F456M likes this.