488 - Snagged a 488 I plan to daily drive | FerrariChat

488 Snagged a 488 I plan to daily drive

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JesseRohr, Mar 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JesseRohr

JesseRohr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2020
    Birmingham AL
    Full Name:
    Jesse Rohr
    Bought a 2018 488 GTB from the San Francisco Ferrari store to go with my 812SF. I plan to use the vehicle as my fair weather daily driver but plan to make the vehicle my own by lowering it on the factory springs and doing some sort of aftermarket wheel and tire combo.

I sifted through a ton of threads and don't see much with reference to ride after people modify. I see quite a few different diameters used and I am wanting some real world feedback from those who have gone with 20/20 or staggered 20/21 or 21/22 with regards to ride quality.

The car will hopefully be here sometime this week and I want to hit the ground running with the mods.

Thanks in advance.

Link to car - https://www.ipacket.info/D7EBD116-724A-11EB-BBBA6AAD302DF791

rw99, SECRET, jahdish and 3 others like this.
  2. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    Just got mine from the same dealer recently. Beautiful 488 ! Congratulations!
    I’m waiting to hear answers to your questions well, as I’m interested in lowering a bit as well.

SECRET likes this.
  3. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am going with 21/22 on my F8 and adding Novitec lowering springs. According to same question raised by me and several thousands others, there is a slight change in drive, particularly more if you remain with stock springs (and you won't be able to lower by much compared to Novitec springs). The larger the rim, the slightly harsher the ride and also the understeer. However, if you aren't racing in a track (which seems like you aren't), you will capitalize in looks and have still have a decent ride quality. Please ensure getting good quality wheels. Would strongly suggest HRE or ANRKY. Hopes this helps.

4. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    #4 RoadRonin, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    My 458 is lowered on the stock coil overs. I notice a slight degradation in ride quality but not enough to regret the decision. I’m also running Novitech spacers 10 and 15mm so I’m happier with the stance now. The car no longer looks like it’s ready to go off-roading. It really should have come looking like this from the factory.

I was planning on going the Novitech route to lower the car but I ended up not doing that as there is a chance I sell the car and didn’t want to go through the hassle of uninstalling the Novitech kit prior to selling. If anyone is looking to purchase Novitech kit for the 458 please PM me.

I went with 21/22 HREs and wish I had gone with 20/21 due to the noticeable impact on performance. Many will say that the difference in the way the car performs is negligible but I could feel a difference. I’ve since reverted back to the stock wheels.

Dicecal, FordGTDriver and JesseRohr like this.
  5. JesseRohr

JesseRohr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2020
    Birmingham AL
    Full Name:
    Jesse Rohr
    So your 21/22 setup was so stiff you went back to factory wheels? What did you do with your setup?

6. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    #6 RoadRonin, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    I forgot to mention that I also experienced rubbing with the larger wheels.

I primarily went back to factory wheels because I missed the way the car felt with the stock setup. I also started to feel that the wheels were looking too big for the car. Like they were a little out of proportion. This is my very personal opinion and no offense to those that have gone the 21/22 route. Large wheels are definitely a car show look. They command more attention. That’s why you tend to see that configuration all over Instagram. In fact, the Ferrari one-off P80/C has a concourse or exhibition setup running 21/22 and runs 18 inch wheels for the track. I believe the F12 TRS (also built by Ferrari’s Special Projects division) also runs 21/22 I believe. You’ll also notice that the design sketches for these cars almost always have massive wheels. It just makes these cars look more aggressive.

I recently had my HRE P107 wheels refinished by HRE as I’m planning to sell them.

-m

7. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Strongly recommend 20/20 or 20/21. I have a six wheel set that allows me to change back and forth at the rear. I have come to prefer the 20/20 setup; the car performs magnificently as the 20/20 combo is factory size but the wheels (HRE 101LW) are much lighter than factory. The 20/21 looks cool, but the tire is just a shade larger in diameter and heavier. Tires on all six wheels are Michelin.

midengine, Caeruleus11 and JesseRohr like this.
  8. JesseRohr

JesseRohr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2020
    Birmingham AL
    Full Name:
    Jesse Rohr
    I spent a bit looking at tire selections available in the sizes/brands I want to run and I am certainly going with either 20/20 or 20/21 now that I see what's available.

I'll be running Michelin tires as well or maybe the new Goodyear stuff which I enjoyed immensely on my 992.

RoadRonin likes this.
  9. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
  10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I went with 20/20 wheels ... HRE P107 brushed gloss clear and Novitec springs.

im personally not fond of big wheels and skinny sidewall tires. The super thin sidewall just looks fragile compared to having a little more meat on the wheel. I also don’t want super wide rears with stock width front and induce a ton of understear. Here’s my car Sunday night on a drive with some friends
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MANDALAY likes this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
  12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Excellent choice, congratulations!

13. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The Ferrari 488's are so darn good looking! Congrats! The stock wheels still look good to me too!

ScottS, SECRET and cole328 like this.