What automobile themed book do you treasure most? | FerrariChat

What automobile themed book do you treasure most?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Jack-the-lad, Mar 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What automotive book do you most cherish, that you would never sell or give away, and why? It need not be because of its monetary value; it could be personal sentiment, it’s a book to which you often refer, a book you searched for for a long time, or you just simply enjoy having it in your library.

For me, it’s a book that I have owned since new, it is the first car book I ever owned, it was a Christmas gift from my now deceased parents way back in 1961, and no less a car enthusiast than Lord March (now the Duke of Richmond) declared it to be his most treasured book in a Classic and Sports Car magazine interview a few years ago; in fact, it was also a gift from his parents: Ralph Stein’s “The Treasury of the Automobile.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I was a “completist” from the very beginning.....

amerikalei, Rosey, Nembo1777 and 4 others like this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have that book, too, somewhere! Unless my ex burned it. Or it is in storage with car parts.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  3. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    A tie between Fitzgerald & Merritt's "Ferrari: The Sports and Gran Turismo Cars" and "Cobra Daytona Coupe" by Brock, Friedman & Stauffer. The Ferrari book was my first automobile related book I bought new at the Wide Awake Book Store in the old Hotel Sterling in Wilkes-Barre, PA. The Cobra book is awesome and reminds me of fun times at Dick's Hobby Shoppe racing a Daytona slot car.

Rosey, Jack-the-lad and bloomberg like this.
  4. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Interesting question, but for me, impossible to pick just one. I have a fair number that I cherish equally. Went to look at my shelves, and honestly could not pick just one.

jm2 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  5. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Piloti Che Gente. Saved months of pocket money when I was 14 or 15 to buy it. Probably the thing I would sell last if I was in financial trouble (even after the Ferrari).

Rosey, Nembo1777 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  6. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    This is all very subjective..
    I sold my copy of Ferrari in Camera a few years ago, quite simply because I was bored of it and it didn’t suit my interests at the time.
    I regret selling it because I won’t get another copy at a price I can justify.

I will never part with Making A Difference, this is a great piece of work produced fantastically.

I have the Beehl/Stern books (Postcard and Sales Drive), both # 31 (my sons birthday is 31 Aug) so they hold a place...

But for me, personally, my direction constantly changes...sometimes I collect models...then get bored...so I collect early brochures....then get bored...so I get more books...

Paul

Dino2400, Rosey, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    Traum Ferrari für Sport und Reise by Antoine Prunet. Bought in a German shop i’ve been visiting on shopping trips from nearby Netherlands. It was 80 German Marks (guess in 1988). A lot of money for me. And only at the 3rd visit to the shop, I pulled the trigger. Reading it many times and looking to pictures of Ferrari’s I never imagined to see in my life it was the definitive start of my hobby of collecting literature a year of two later. It will be the last Ferrari item to leave my house.

Hugo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777, jm2 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  8. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    jm2 likes this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ferrari De route et De reve by its original name.

Ferri likes this.
  10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Lusso123, Nembo1777 and jm2 like this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It was my first car book too Jack, a Christmas gift in 1965. Decades later I was stunned to learn that the gold Series I Cabriolet lived some 30 miles away from me. The first serious car book that I bought was Fitzgerald and Merritt purchased with savings from my morning paper route. I still have it and had Dick Merritt sign it for me. I probably have a half dozen copies of the first edition, two of them signed by both authors, another that is BNIB in its original shipping box.

Rosey, Lusso123, Nembo1777 and 4 others like this.
  12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Mine would have to be my first Ferrari book my parents bought me brand new, Godfrey Eaton- Ferrari.

I must have read it cover to cover hundreds of times.

(For full disclosure my original copy, which I still have, was so well read with a completely faded spine that a few years ago I bought this second mint copy for the bookshelf)

jm2, gt4me, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  14. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    Too many to be listed but one is for sure my treasure hunt: 917x17 Owner Edition (#30 out of 40).
    Over 5 years in the search and then I got a pristine one. A center point in my collection.

15. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
  16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The Kings of the Road by Ken Purdy.

Matt

PS. Also anything by LJK Setright

17. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Not a book for me as such, I enjoy all my car books but don't have that real emotional attachment.
    For me it's the magazines I first started collecting when my dad was finished with them, then bought myself with pocket money.
    This one is right up there but I couldn't pick one favourite.

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, after waiting 17 years from announcement to actual delivery, I treasure mine as a great tribute to my favorite driver, as well as a testament to my patience.;)

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That’s interesting. You can’t find two better writers with more dissimilar styles.

Smiles and 375+ like this.
  21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I don't really have a particular favorite, but among contenders I would rate "Pilote, Che Gente...", "The Brothers Rodriguez" and both "Ferrari: A Champion's View" and "Inside Track" by Phil Hill, though in the last case I settled on the (comparatively) inexpensive one-volume edition. I would also put the three-volume set of "24 Heures du Mans", the three-volume set "The Yanks at Le Mans" and the four books by Janos Wimpffen and David Bull Publishing in this group.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I have all of Wimpffen’s books and would sell them as a set if I could find a buyer.

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The four volumes are a marvelous photographic record of the years from 1953 to 1992. I've never seen "Time and Two Seats" but the four seem like a reasonable alternative.

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You’re completely right, but I hadn’t thought about that before. I guess I like them both for different reasons.

Also, All but my Life is Sterling Moss as told by Ken Purdy and is wonderful.

Matt

25. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for featuring Time to Race. Just ordered it from Hodinkee. Very reasonable and hopefully an alternative to the much higher priced Drive Time.