Any good multivitamin for 40+ years old? | FerrariChat

Any good multivitamin for 40+ years old?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by amenasce, Mar 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Life has been funny lately. Some weeks I have a lot of energy, work out 6x a week. Work 10h a day. Play with my kids. Then other weeks, I struggle to wake up at 7am. No motivation to work out and too tired to play with kids.

We did have a baby 1 month ago so sleep quality hasn't been top notch but was already feeling that way before my daughter was born.

Can't pinpoint the why. Sometimes I associate it with stress. But I wonder if I'm feeling that after 40 drop in testosterone.

Any good quality supplements I should try? I know I still have that oomph in me, I just want it to be more consistent.

ryalex likes this.
  2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Get a blood test done and make sure you're not low on vitamin B!

3. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I like Naturelo One Daily multivitamin. They are on Amazon. I take all my vitamins/supplements at night. A doctor recommended that bc you rejuvenate while sleeping. Overall I had good progress with a holistic doctor who had some good supplement suggestions. We did blood tests that included vitamin deficiency tests. I also had good luck working with a sleep dr if you have any sleep issues.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I take a lot of B6 and B12. Will do another blood test (had one 1 year ago and all was good which surprised me).

5. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

This one?
    https://www.amazon.com/NATURELO-One-Daily-Multivitamin-Men/dp/B01FYD2CP8

6. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You are feeling the over 40 drop in Test.

I've always taken Centrum since I was a kid, not sure if it is helping or not. I know it does not defeat mother nature in the over 40 category (I will be 47 later this year).

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    its ur kids age. it will go away as they get older.

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont have that luxury to wait..I want to feel energized now. Work is super exciting atm and I feel I'm getting hampered by this lack of energy.

There has to be some supplements I can take to boost me a little bit.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dont worry...it will all be a blur in 120 short months.
    the days are long but the years are short.

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I’ve said this a million times I think, but we (Americans) have the most expensive urine in the world.

So many supplements, that just wind up being flushed down the toilet when you urinate.

Take a generic multivitamin, eat healthy, and exercise and that’s all anybody needs. If you are over 40, it’s natural to feel tired sometimes, especially with young kids.

Drop in testosterone may be an issue. Big tell, do you have a bit of a belly? I recall that having that tummy is correlated with low testosterone levels. If so, may consider seeing a doc.

rdefabri and alex like this.
  11. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    amenasce likes this.
  12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  13. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Possibly, but I will add that I suspected something similar at one point and my testosterone tests came back at 20-year-old levels...which explains a lot in terms of what I definitely WAS NOT experiencing. I was weak, starting to lose focus, and at one point couldn't remember how I got where I was...not fun stuff.

It was due to being on a 99% vegetarian diet and trying to train as hard as ever. I went from benching sets with 225 (a lot for me) to struggling to make five reps at 185, 21 pull up sets to maybe 11, leg strength really hit the crapper...I started to be concerned about MND and other maladies, but I noticed the bloodwork indicated that my creatinine level was low and the lightbulb went off. Duh, moron!

I made the mistake of thinking that, since I was getting plenty of protein, I would be fine...but I was getting next to no creatine. Creatine is important not only for skeletal muscle, but also that wet noodle between your ears. It all seemed so obvious at that point, but even though I have used creatine before with decent results, I'm generally not a big fan of supplements, so I didn't even think about it. This time, because I am essentially treating a deficiency, the efficacy has been mind blowing.

I decided to try to ramp my levels up as quickly as possible, and after a five day loading phase (I know that isn't necessarily the fashion anymore) and a few days of just normal intake, it was like the world came rushing back at 12:30 PM on a Friday in the gym. My strength rebounded much faster than I ever would have thought possible and I quickly pushed beyond where I left off. I even recommended a friend who is not a weight trainer but doesnt eat much meat give it a whirl for some similar issues, and he has also experienced great results.

I don't know what the OP's diet is like, but maybe give it a shot. Have you ever had a low creatinine level?

14. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    COVID has affected all of us, sometimes mentally and emotionally rather than physically. Bringing a new life into this world right now carries its own stresses. Give yourself a break! Make sure you're adequately hydrated, get in some light exercise (even a 10 minute walk two or three times a day), and don't forget to spend a few minutes of quiet time; let your mind rest! Congrats on the new baby!

Chupacabra likes this.
  15. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    I like Optimum Nutrition's Opti-Men multivitamin.
    https://www.amazon.com/NUTRITION-Opti-Men-Multivitamin-Supplement-Vitamins/dp/B00K2RJAR0

*I may need to look around again myself, I haven't tried this new formula bc I stocked up, but see some negative reviews there now... Either way, I feel a difference when I don't take it, and I can ramp it up or down based on my activity (recommend is 3x a day, but i take less frequently).

For B12, the only thing I've ever actually felt a difference from (tried drinks, droplets, etc.) is this from LivOn labs. I like their vitamin c too. As I get older, I'm willing to pay more, because there's a lot of junk out there.
    https://www.livonlabs.com/products/b-complex-plus/

There's a couple other things I like, but I consider these a good base.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The brain needs
    B2, B6, B9 and B12. Plus look at citicoline and magnesium theronate.
    Healthy brain the rest falls into place

rampante550 likes this.
  17. A whole egg.

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’m on the hunt for a good multivitamin myself.

If your current multivitamin uses folic acid as your folate, it’s pretty much junk. But most do. This is my current acid test for quality.

Matt

19. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Came across these on Amazon looking for a good liver pill and giving the beef organs a try: https://ancestralsupplements.com/products.html

It obviously doesn't have everything, but I've been considering unwinding from a multi-vitamin since I saw the formula changed on my previous recommendation - similar to what lifters call a stack I think. I go through a pot of stock a week, but that has a narrower range of vitamins/minerals than I think something like this.

@Smiles I'll have to dig deeper to validate, but they do mention folate here, but they're not advertising it as a multi

We'll see how it goes, but basically looking to make the beef organs supplement, magnesium, iron skillet, sunlight, stock, vit c dropper, flavorless bcaa's, and occasional zinc supp for my base moving forward if my test goes well.

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I eat 2 everyday..Not sure i see a lot of results in terms of energy.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm 52, and in very good shape. I don't use any supplements, just get nutrients from what I eat.

I suspect I might have lower testosterone as I had a medical issue years ago that left me with only 1 of my "boys". But you wouldn't know it looking at me, I'm pretty cut and heavily muscled.

FWIW.

rampante550 likes this.
  22. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Old man strength :)

I definitely agree that getting nutrients from your diet is far preferred, but given all the wacky gmo and nutrient-less veggies we have, a little extra can make a difference with a lot of people.

I can't get out of my head that I need to get a greenhouse and a chicken coop to try to better control what I eat. Anytime I get over-easy eggs at a restaurant, I swear it's slathered in PAM. I've started to just use ev olive oil & vinegar on salads because I noticed almost all dressings have soybean oil as the first ingredient.

Eating these days feels like an obstacle course and having a little one has made me really conscious of what we're eating in a way I've never wanted to before (I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and still have abs).

rdefabri likes this.
  23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like to use these two brands.

Source Naturals and Rainbow Lite.

rampante550 likes this.
  24. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    There isn't one brand/company that's ultimately better than the other.
    A vitamin is a vitamin.
    There are however better absorbable minerals, but I would not recommend splashing one's budget on 'the most expensive one'.
    Great brands are NOW Foods, Puritan, Source, Jarrow, and dozens more.
    If you live in areas that don't get much sun, I would strongly suggest using 1000-200IU of Vitamin D3 per day.
    Adding a quality Omega3 (not 6&9!) is seriously recommended as well.

Always take your vitamins and minerals in the morning.
    Only exception would be Magnesium; that one you take before going to bed.

amenasce likes this.
  25. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Taking more than 100% of RDA is in most cases pretty useless. The "more is better" adagium doesn't hold well in most studies.
    The law of diminishing returns quickly comes into play here; especially since overdosing on as an example Iron, Vit B6 is an issue.
    Eat healthy and natural each day, enjoy life, take a decent multi and you've got your basics covered.
    Want something extra, then there is a whole world of (also) beneficial supplements to obtain.

rampante550 likes this.