F12 geabox problem | FerrariChat

F12 geabox problem

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by rumen1, Mar 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I am negotiating for a 2014 F12 with 24 000km (about 14 000). The car is in good shape, it has never been tracked, but the only thing that bothers me is a gearbox problem, that the car had in the past. The owner told me, that at one point the gearbox started to trow out oil. Not a leak, but trowing oil from some hole, made especially for that when the oil pressure or oil temp (I guess) gets too high. At all times the car changed gears fine. The dealership obviously wanted to replace the whole unit, so he has taken the car to an independent shop and they fixed the car by changing a temperature sensor of some sort, or at least that is what they have told him. I have driven the car today and it shifts fine (a little slow I think, but that's probably because I haven't driven the car too fast, nevertheless I switched everything off, which is supposed to sharpen up the gear change). I connected my Launch X431 reader to the car and it showed some gearbox error codes (along with many others), which I suppose were trigered because of a weak battery. I have erased them and driven the car and they haven't showed again afterwards.

My question is if anybody has faced or heard for such a problem, because most of the DCT issues I have read about here are related to a speed sensor and that is definitely a different issue. Probably the only way to see if the DCT will develop the problem again will be to take the car to a track or something and put a lot of load on the DCT, but I can't really do that. The car does shift fine, but I really think it should be pushed harder to develop any mailfunction if there is still a problem. There is also a noise from the rear diff, which the owner says happened the last time he has taken the car to the official dealership. However, he says that this will be taken care of before purchase. Not sure if there is any relation between the 2 issues.

Any advice will be highly appreciated, as I really like the car and I am very close to buying it.

2. Davebgt40

Davebgt40 Rookie

May 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    What codes did you find stored?

3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Here they are. I do have the F12 workshop manual, but for some reason I haven't found a section with the codes and explanations about them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Gearbox and engine problems past or present scare me personally. I would hate to fall in love with that car knowing there was an issue and then have it reappear after purchasing. My advice is see if there is another glorious F12 still waiting for you.

rossodino likes this.
  5. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    It might be nothing, but I would not pull the trigger on this car until it is 100% confirmed the gearbox issues have been fixed. It seems it is not the case, just too many things happening.

6. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Honestly, even if the gearbox needs to be completely replaced, it would still be a good deal. Actually there are not a lot of good cars for sale right now, the market is really strange.

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    In my view taking on a F12 with potential gearbox issues and a noisy differential is risky and not really worth the risk unless the car is going at a price significantly lower than reasonable market value.

8. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    So nobody has experienced or heard for such a problem?

9. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    There are a number of holes in the gearbox. First is a normal vent at the top of the gearbox, if the box was overfilled it may leak fluid from that point.
    Second there is a series of holes on the bottom of the gearbox in the intermediate plate. These weep holes go to in between the seals that separate the hydraulic clutch fluid in the front half of the box and the gear oil in the rear half of the box. The shift shafts and main shaft seals can leak and will result in the fluid coming from those seals. You mentioned it was occurring during shifts which would indicate it is likely a shift shaft seal leaking. This is common and repairable by installing a new updated intermediate plate. I would also recommend replacing the output speed sensor and pressure sensors while the box is apart as those are also high failure rate items.

rumen1 likes this.
  10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Very informative, thank you. As I said - at the moment the DCT on this car works absolutely fine and doesn't seem to need anything, but yes - if I buy it and the unit needs to be taken out, for sure it would be a good idea to change all the high failure rate items also.

Do you know if the DCT will need any special diagnostic-related procedures after such interventions?

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I've never had any problems with the gear-box of my F12 but in the past I've had a big problem with another Ferrari DCT and the repair was made under the extension warranty. The problem was complex and my dealer had to remove the DCT twice and I was without the car for four months and afterwards the dealer told me that the cost of repair would pass 15.000 Euros if I didn't have the extension warranty.
    A 2014 F12 with 24.000 Km like the one you seeking in principle shouldn't have any problems but my only advice based on past experiences is, don't buy it unless you have an extension warranty. The existence of an extension warranty implies that Ferrari has done a full inspection to the car and that's the best assurance that the car is in perfect condition.
    Good luck…………..

cwall likes this.
  12. ERIC ANDERSON

ERIC ANDERSON Rookie

May 3, 2020
    Cleveland, OH
    Full Name:
    Eric Anderson
    My advice? Simple... RUN!

13. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Why should I? Even the worst possible scenario will cost me about 20 000 Euro tops for a second hand gearbox and rear diff.

14. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Why are you asking then? If price is good buy it

15. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I was asking a completely different thing, not if I should buy it or not. But thanks for your helpful inclusion anyway.

16. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The most common dct issue happens shifting at redline and u lose all odd or even gears
    It used to be gearbox replacement however i think now a sensor can be replaced

Personally if price and spec is good id buy it
    I wouldn’t lose sleep over the what ifs

17. titanio360

titanio360 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2013
    I'll PM you my Ferrari mechanic's number. His name is Rob. Maybe he can tell you they common issues he sees on the F12 transmissions. Hopefully it's something trivial and you can use it to get a great deal and then have it fixed yourself. Good luck!

18. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #19 rumen1, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Thank you very much for your help and for your PM. Actually I decided to buy the car. The DCT was taken apart prior to that (several days ago) and it turned out, that because it was trowing out oil and the previous owner was not taken care of that on time (or maybe the people in the first workshop, that the car has taken to, didn't know what they are doing), the crown and the pinion ring of the diff were worn out. So the car was offered to me at even lower price and I just decided to replace the whole DCT unit.

19. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great outcome!