Any TDF Blue 456 for SALE?? | FerrariChat

Any TDF Blue 456 for SALE??

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Patek, Mar 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I am searching for a 456 in TDF Blue, with cream interior, Manual would be great. Anyone out there have any eyes on something in that color. Well kept condition, etc .
    email me [email protected]
    Thanks,
    John

F456M likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Selling Bob Loveless knives must be pretty profitable, especially since most are in 5 figures. Man was a genius and artist.

3. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Terry, just sold one in Japan for $112,000. Then one to Eric Clapton. Loveless had a 20 year waiting list when he was alive. The Loveless secondary market is untouchable. He is the Picasso of the knife world. Even Gerber, Schrade, and Barretts made copies of Loveless knives. This is the crown stag made in 1970, sold then for $500. Now it lives in Tokyo , only 4 were made.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, tried to order a knife from him in the 70s, but the wait was too long. Should have waited. Got two by George Herron, instead.

I loved Loveless' Big Bear model, now unobtanium.

5. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Terry, this is an ironwood handled Big Bear I sold to a collector in Hong Kong. He loved the engraving. I remember paying $2500 for big bears, and thought that was expensive. I have a giant rock star in Cal. that called today looking at the 2 most expensive knives I have on the website. Both are beyond rare. one is the sub hilt Delaware Maid, and the other is a massive Bowie, only 2 made. So we will see, he buys but not all the time. I am way more of a collector than a dealer. I just sell to buy more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #6 Laserguru, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Yeah, I'm thinking my Gerber is a 5 & Dime pen knife....sheesh, those are so gorgeous!! Love that Texas 6 pointed star!!

7. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Eric, Loveless set the high water mark for knife designs. He started out making knives for Abercrombie & Fitch in 1954. He was only 25 years old. Those sold for $24 , I just sold a small hunter from that period for $12,000. This shows a 4 inch semi skinner made in 1974, it went for $15,000 just because of the Sheephorn. If it had stag it would only be $5500. The bottom two knives. These two sold for $142,000 last year.
    The crown stag knife was sold in 2007 for $18,000 and the stag big bear sold for $5,000 in 1988. But these are so hard to come by these days.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just gorgeous. The double hilting is fabulous. Afraid my Gerber Mk I was bought for purposes other than collecting. These have all the appeal, and beauty, and rarity, and,and,and....all that! Remarkable craftsmanship. Absolutely filled with the maker's soul.

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #9 ferraridriver, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    On the other end of the spectrum you have this, A kitchen knife my grandfather made from an old file using a foot operated grinding wheel.

Near the handle you can see the indentations from the file. The grip is brass, bone, and leather

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

It's seen a lot of use and it really keeps an edge

When you heft it you're reminded of what Crocodile Dundee said about knives

Il Tifoso, Mirek and root like this.
  10. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    These look beautiful. Is there a special process or alloy used in making the blades?
    Dave's knife looks like an all business kinda knife.

11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    PLEASE do not un-hijack this tread. We have surely wandered off the original topic of a TdF 456 but found a most engaging topic!!

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob's most famous steel was a batch of 154CM he picked up that was used in the aerospace industry for engine parts. Those knives tested out at Rockwell 61-62, but were not brittle at all. Not sure what he used after that was gone.

13. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
  14. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    As a Brit looking across the pond it's nice to see the "value" that is put on genuine artisan skills by the American market.

My late father was a Goldsmith, more specifically and Engraver, Enameller, Enamel Artist. He sub contracted for Garrards, Asprey, Purdey, Graff and many other high end retailers. He was the go to guy for repairing Faberge. I clearly remember one of the imperial eggs being at home when I was a child. It all went a bit over my head back then. He also has a couple of pieces in the Victoria & Albert museum in London.

When I look back at his skill he was never compensated appropriately for what he did, until he picked up a couple of American customers late in his career who comissioned him to make replicas and bespoke pieces for him. Mostly Arts and Craft stuff, Archibald Knox, tudric that kind of thing.

I watch antiques Roadshow every week, the UK version, and often I think you couldn't make the items for the valuations that are being given today.

We have very different markets when it comes to craftsman made products.

15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It is something I have never quite understood about the art market. And I do believe that many crafts clearly cross over into art territory. Such as the subjects of our discussion here. Why is painting considered high art and the crafts not? I'll need an art historian to explain this one to me. Why is the interpretive vision plus technique valued so much more highly for painting that other. There are objet d'art which, to my poor physicist eye, are as emotive and require at least at much mastery of technique.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Loveless knives, and many other makers' knives, are definitely art. There is even a category at knife shows for "Art Knives". Bob's were known for purity of design and finish, widely imitated but never really equaled.

17. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    From the few pictures posted here, it is absolutely clear Loveless knives are an elevated form and clearly objet d'art. And the price ranges also quoted here reflect that as well. My point is that no matter how beautiful and elevated, knives, furniture, jewelry, lighting fixtures (ask my wife!!), and I include car design here, all of these crafts, remain in a separate class from painting. To quote Arthur Clarke, "Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic." I see in these crafts so beautifully elevated as much as I do in painting. And I have had the joy of visiting many of the best museums in the western world and seeing the finest of paintings. Why are only paintings in a class alone? It's just a philosophy question....