F355 Flywheel Question | FerrariChat

F355 Flywheel Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bmwguy54, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    Bought a 1999 F355 with 11,200 miles. Went to block the flywheel and noticed it has about 1/8 inch play on the shaft it's attached to. Is this normal? If not, what can be done?

2. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k

3. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    I can look up and see that the flywheel is moving independently of the shaft to which it is attached. The crank does not turn at all; the play is at the back. Can I remove the clutch cover and find the bolts that attach the flywheel to the shaft?

4. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    If that’s the case no that is not good you will need to remove the clutch and flywheel and inspect to see why that is
    If the bolts are loose take a really good look at the crank holes see if any are out of shape (egging) there has to be a reason like a clutch was replace and the tech did not torque down and use Loctite on the bolts which can create a lot of damage

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    A 355 flywheel is spline shaft attached. The flywheel has internal splines and so does the crank. There is a shaft that runs through the gearbox assembly and into the flywheel. There are no bolts and it should have no freeplay. Remove the bumper, muffler, & clutch housing. The spline shaft will slide out a bit, but you should be able to see if it is damaged. Keep us posted, I am interested in see what is happening.

2NA and f355spider like this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The 355 flywheel is not your grandfather's automobile flywheel. It's very different.

2NA and Ferrari Tech like this.
  7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    This is equipped with a dual mass flywheel and what you are describing is normal.

tbakowsky likes this.
  8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    phrogs and tbakowsky like this.
  9. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    Thank you all. Great photo. My car has only 11K miles, and the play is about what I noticed on a dual mass flywheel on a BMW. It drives great, and I'm encouraged that there's some slop in the dual mass design. Very encouraged.