Aston Martin F1 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Aston Martin F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Mercedes seems to be preparing the transfer of their human and financial means to Aston Martin in the medium term. I do not underestimate Lawrence Stroll’s willingness to achieve his goals.
    We need a strong Ferrari to counterbalance this new axis.

Bas, 375+, SimCity3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    jgonzalesm6 and 375+ like this.
  4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Toto might have an AM "kill switch" if AM start outperforming Merc.

Otherwise known as a gentleman's agreement with Stroll.

Bas, F2003-GA and ingegnere like this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Perhaps he stopped to do #001?

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Vettel's driving style not as extreme as Perez, says Aston Martin
    By: Luke Smith
    Mar 8, 2021, 8:21 AM
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/vettels-driving-style-not-as-extreme-as-perez/5635536/
    Aston Martin has no concerns it can get its 2021 Formula 1 car to suit Sebastian Vettel, believing he has a less extreme driving style than Sergio Perez.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Four-time F1 world champion Vettel has joined the rebranded Aston Martin team for 2021 following a difficult final season with Ferrari, replacing Perez.

Vettel finished a lowly 13th in the championship for Ferrari, scoring just one podium and barely one-third of team-mate Charles Leclerc's points total.

Recurring errors by Vettel in recent years led to questions about how much Ferrari's cars suited his driving style, which has been said to be dependent on a stable rear end.

But Aston Martin technical director Andrew Green said there were zero concerns about accommodating Vettel with its new AMR21 car, believing his driving style is not as extreme as that of Perez.

"Yes, [Vettel] does have his own personal driving style, but that's no different to the driving styles that we've seen from other drivers," Green said.

"I'd say [it's] not as extreme as the driver he is replacing, who had a very extreme driving style which was very difficult to get right at all tracks. It shone at certain tracks and didn't at others.

"I think Seb's style is a lot less extreme. And we have the tools and capability to tune the car to suit him for sure.

"We've already started working on that. We've been working on that for the last month in the simulator. And he seems very happy with the directions that we've taken. So, yeah, no problems there."

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Sebastian Vettel, Aston Martin Racing AMR21

Photo by: Aston Martin Racing

Vettel got his first taste of his new Aston Martin F1 car during a brief shakedown at Silverstone last week, with his maiden extended outing scheduled later this week at the start of pre-season testing in Bahrain.

While Vettel was curious to get an idea of the car concept Aston Martin has following a long spell at Ferrari, he moved to dispel the myth surrounding his need for a stable rear end.

"I think the whole rear end thing has got a little bit out of hand," Vettel said.

"If you look at the cars that I had when I was at Red Bull, or the beginning of Ferrari, I think there's always been times where the rear was nervous, and that's OK.

"I don't think I'm more vulnerable than the others in this regard. If anything, I don't like when the car is really just understeery, because at least with the oversteer, you can do plenty of things.

"With the understeer, as well there's some driving techniques, but your hands are a bit more tied or a bit more limited. So actually, I prefer when the car is a bit more loose, that really helps you to rotate, and so on.

"Obviously, if it gets too much, then you lose a lot of time. And then nobody likes that because it's slow.

"But coming back on the philosophy, I think it is interesting. By the sounds of it is very different. I hope it's coming my way. We'll see how it goes."

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Vettel's eyes look tired.......

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    lol, too much rotation has been one of his main problems

ingegnere likes this.
  9. DF1

Im not sure what to think of his 'problem' lol. No one is thinking about it as he quotes it.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Several pundits put Aston Martin ahead of Ferrari in their 2021 forecast.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Given what Ferrari has been showing recently, Williams is probably the only team people consistently see behind Ferrari...

Boomhauer and jpalmito like this.
  12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

Mark Twain

F2003-GA, jpalmito and ingegnere like this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Oh boy, the Vettel revisionist history offensive is in full swing in the Brit press now that he’s left the uncouth Italian team in favour of the team running BRG colours. The latest (of so many) stories:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/vettel-nothing-to-prove-to-f1-critics-who-wrote-me-off/5648969/

I guess the safety car wheel banging episode with HAM and the multiple self-inflicted spins were the fault of a possessed red car and he was not to blame or these were just forgotten.

jpalmito likes this.
  14. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    FIA says they didn't so... quit whining. blame Ferrari for not being competitive, racing Renault and Alpha Tauri rather than Mercedes and Red Bull...

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Just because FIA said it doesn´t mean it´s true. But agree in that whinning now is useless: the harm is already done, all teams retired their protests in exchange of who knows what, and everybody has to race with what they have.

Next year, when (in theory) they won´t be running a cloned car let´s see how high they can really get.

ingegnere and 375+ like this.
  16. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Hey Per, show us where the FIA said that about this year’s car. Maybe you can explain why they went completely away from their design upgrade of last year to look almost exactly like the Merc’s ‘21 car and not even the ‘20 if you even notice such things.

Also, this is a discussion board where things are discussed. I couldn’t care less if these guys are faster—it won’t change my life but maybe it will change yours.

jpalmito likes this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Are Williams no longer front runners ?

FIA handed the Uzi to Mercedes that killed racing teams.

18. DF1

Aston is utilzing a cloned and convicted cheating car. They are not driving a design based on their own effort and work. They are cheaters of the most blatant order. If anyone needs reminders review last season early testing press for the response in detail by others observations.

This is nothing but corner cutting to results by a billionaire. Period. They are Aston-Cheat-Clone. Docked points and fined. If this were Ferrari the we would be deaf from the protests and reactions.

stavura, jpalmito, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  19. DF1

He is an embarrassing sort currently. He should simply shut up and drive better in the cheat clone. Then we can see what he offers as an F1 driver in a new team. How does he adapt etc. Clearly his statement is implicit of how the criticism he has gained by his sorry driving has affected him. He comments exactly because the critics are correct. He is not that great.

jpalmito likes this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It seems to me that the Ferrari Engine scandal of 2019 ranks up as high as the copy the chassis scandal of 2020.

william likes this.
  21. DF1

Possibly but that is not public is it. That is not the issue here. Its about an entire car copied. Id be happy to condemn Ferrari if facts were allowed to be public. Aston is a blatant copying team. All teams noticed this rather easily.

Picchu88 likes this.
  22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    So, your contention is that a copied car is somehow more illegal than an engine that was "not compliant to the rules" for 14 races at least !
    And when brought back into compliance, went from a front runner into an also ran.

You take the position that the pink car should have not been allowed to enter races, FINE !
    My contention is the Ferrari should have lost all points scored in those 14 races !! while the engine was not in compliance.

william likes this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Why exactly was the engine not in compliance, what was the infraction?

24. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    No one but the FIA and Ferrari know. FIA botched it by not releasing a single detail on the matter.

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The issue here is that the pot is calling the kettle black.

"People who live in a glass house shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind. :rolleyes: