308 Dead Battery Engine Start | FerrariChat

308 Dead Battery Engine Start

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RAC911, Jul 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    The 308 battery is located in the front under the spare wheel. If you encounter a dead battery, how can you easily jump start the car without removal of the spare tire and battery cover? On the 355 there are connections in the engine area.

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Unless someone has added some alternate jump posts I think the only alternative is to push start it? Not sure that’s even possible with the 308. I am one of the guys that just leaves his spare tire and battery cover in the garage.

2NA likes this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Kim is right, either push start it or jump start it straight from the battery.

4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Any metal part of the engine would be a good ground (the negative connection). For the positive connection, the battery side of the starter solenoid would work; this terminal should have a heavy wire directly from the battery. I don't know how good the access to the solenoid would be in the engine compartment.

5. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    I came up with the following solution. On the driver side of the car in the front is a braided cable going to ground via a bolt. Behind it is a red plastic switch on the cable. From the positive side of the battery, a red cable can be mounted and routed up near the braided cable. Mounting an aluminum bracket to hold an insulated bolt for the positive connection. The + and - are now available for jump starting the car and used for a trickle charge.

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Why not just take off the cover and hook it straight to the battery?
    Also, the starter solenoid is unavailable in the engine compartment.

7. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    To jump start the battery or put a trickle charge on the battery, you must do the following:

8. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    open the front cover, remove the spare tire, remove the battery cover if one is in there, and connect to the battery.

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    hard wire the disconnect able end of a battery tender to the battery, route it out the front grille in an inconspicuous spot and secure for easy plug in when parked.

10. Andrew McLaren

Aug 21, 2020
    Auckland
    Full Name:
    Andrew McLaren
    I installed a port under the fuse panel, which lets me plug in a trickle charger when the car is garaged, but that won't give you a jump start connection.

Access to a high current connection is pretty much limited to the battery (I think?). The starter solenoid is buried between the front of the motor and the firewall, and is difficult to get to.

Andrew

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    My battery tender (CTEK) is sold with a nice chord terminated by a waterproof plug. The cables were a bit short so I had to extend them. As suggested I've routed this extension on an easy to access spot. No more worries.

As far as jump start are concerned, these can bring a few gremlins in the vintage electronic components: Modern cars do use high voltage on the initial charge, this is required for AGM batteries, but not sure my ignition module will like it. If jump start is the only option I prefer to do it while the other car is shut down. I've also placed a big sign on the battery post. It reads "NO BOOSTERS!"

tazz99 likes this.