seat belts/restarints for vintage Ferraris | FerrariChat

seat belts/restarints for vintage Ferraris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fiatosca, Mar 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    My 250 GTE is currently not fitted with seat belts. I drive the car quite regularly in traffic so lately I've begun to be more concerned about crash safety. I could certainly install a pair of lap belts but wondering if anyone has attempted installing a three point system in their vintage Ferrari. I realize that vintage automobiles were not designed to dissipate the forces of a high speed crash, but it would be comforting to have a modicum of protection for lesser traffic mishaps.

2. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Good morning Bob - If you go to TomYang.net and search "Seat Belts" you will see how he installed shoulder belts in a GTE or two. Note however, that I was told that shoulder belts that are anchored below shoulder level (the cleanest location in a GTE) will compress the spine in an accident, possibly causing more damage than none at all. Keep us informed of what you find, as I think most of us would like a little more protection in our vintage Ferraris. We certainly don't have any with the bumpers that are on a GTE!

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Perhaps Quickfit Seatbelts in the UK can help you. See here.

375+ likes this.
  4. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Anyone have good images of anchor location for lap belts in a GTE?