What's For Dinner? | Page 657 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I can't say I blame you! So, I'm guessing it was pretty good?!?
    T

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That seems to be a common theme here on F-chat! I forget who posted that their missus made them cook filet mignon to well done.

My wife had adapted over the years. She prefers medium, but will accept medium rare. She will not be happy with the ever so lightly flame kissed meats y'all post.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Shrimp. Sautéed in olive oil and butter. Usual spices. I topped mine with sautéed jalapeños. Good.

T

NbyNW, armedferret and 95spiderman like this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    havent cooked in while since my italian shell fish extravaganza last month so decided to get back in game tonight with enchilladas. i know i cant compare to the texans here, but was pretty good covered in cilantro, jalapeno, and lime. mistake was i made the sauce too thick. shouldve thinned it out but still tasted nice. kept the spices on low side too for wife whos gone off spicy food lately

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW, TexasF355F1 and armedferret like this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Texan or not, I think that looks top notch. What did you stuff the enchiladas with?
    T

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    NbyNW likes this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Kind of like fancy Hamburger Helper?!?
    T

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    So far, I'm loving the serranos. I know that eventually, I will goof up, and put more on than my taste buds can handle, but for now, it's all good. I was reading some recipes and reviews, and the one description I came across that I liked was "crisp." They're hot, but they have good flavor. I'm excited, the serranos that I started from seeds a few weeks ago just got their first set of true leaves.

T

BrettC and wax like this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Love this story @wax

Thanks for sharing. Lots of things I can identify with. My dad worked in a grocery story when I was 10 or so. From time to time, he would take me to work with him. I think it was his way of teaching me that school was a lot easier than having a real job. We'd be up @ zero-dark-thirty, to be ready when the produce came in. From Hunt's Point Market in the Bronx IIRC. Then, he'd show me how to clean up the lettuce, broccoli, etc. before putting it out. 40+ years later, I still remember Foxy Lettuce and Andy Boy Broccoli from some place I had never heard of (California!)...T

wax likes this.
  12. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
  13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    NbyNW likes this.
  14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    All I had for dinner yesterday were some wangs. They were good.

Today I'm eating the rest of the leftover cheese crust pizza I made over the weekend. By the way, the cauliflower crust was not good leftover, it was almost slimy and everything tasted like cauliflower.

Need to decide what to make tomorrow. I bought some of the wagyu burger from Costco last time I was there, might take that out and make burgers or some kind of burger casserole. We'll see.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Salinas, CA to be precise ;)

I got my "revenge" a few weeks later. Purely opportunistic & hilarious.

Uncles (2 & 6 years older, Brother is 4 years older - Hand-me-downs went back-and-forth) spent the night at our place - First house, so, still pre-'69. Anyhoooo . . .

Man, it was early AM on a Saturday, I was first up & Pop was up even earlier - just about to turn off all the water to the old house, as he was going to replace elbow under kitchen sink, as well as faucet, as he took no chances.

The only other things I knew were [ A ] I was hungry [ B ] We had cereal & a 1/2 carton of milk [ C ] I liked sugar, and lots of it on my cereal & so did the other boys [ D ] our closest Store was around the corner & didn't open until 7 & *that* is when we'd get some frosty beverages [ E ] Mom kept the large sugar bowl by her tea. [ F ] Pop loved his Salt. Like Sugar, we always had Salt, and lots of it. [ G ] The boys were waking up. And they'd be hungry.

Poured myself a glass of water. Put it by tea stuff.

Pop turned water off.

Poured cereal, sugar, milk & more sugar int cereal bowl. Put a freshly emptied Sugar Bowl on table with Cereal, Spoons & Milk. Poured Salt into Sugar Bowl.

Ate PDQ.

Boys trounced in, laughing hysterically as boys ought to as I wolfed down last remnants of sugary cereal.

Drank Water. Boasted that no one could possibly eat cereal as fast as I just did & with Lots of Sugar!

Challenge accepted! Last of milk or any other beverage was gone for at least another 15 minutes, when Smitty would open the door to his corner grocery store & man, were they trying to outdo each other with how much sugar [whoops, Salt!] they could put on their cereal.

Finished Water. "Aaaaaaahh . . . Go!"

They dug in & the looks on their faces, as well as Pop's was absolutely priceless. Knowing about the Serrano Incident, he [ H ] Haha - laughed soooo hard as the mad scramble for not a drop to drink.

Also clearly one of my favorite memories.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jdubbya and tomc like this.
  16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thank you
    i had some left over grilled chicken thighs from last nite so used that. that part tasted good. just need to work on sauce for next time

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wagyu hamburger helper! Fancy it up by adding a little truffle oil to the mac!
    T

armedferret likes this.
  18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha, funny. No mac for me. And I'm one of the apparently few humans who don't really like truffles. I like mushrooms but truffles to me taste like soapy mold. I hear I'm pretty rare in that respect. :rolleyes::)

19. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh, and I tried a buffalo chicken dip from Costco, Stonemill farms I think is the brand. It's not bad on pork rinds. Not something I'll probably buy again but not bad for a quick snack.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That is pretty rare I would guess, esp. as you like mushrooms...T

21. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nicolas21, wax, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  22. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah, I dunno. I think there is some technical thing for it but I don't remember what it is. Rosemary is another one, I'm ok with it in small quantities but if there's a lot in something it starts tasting like soap to me.

So made some cheesburger casserole thing. Just some burger meat, mushrooms, onion, garlic and a couple bunches of radishes sliced thin. Saute all that up then throw in some cream cheese, put in a casserole dish and top with cheese. Bake for about 15-20 minutes and enjoy. It was tasty.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm the same way with lavender. Love the smell, but cannot eat food w/ lavender in it. Makes me think I am eating laundry detergent!

Since you like shopping @ Costco. You may want to try these mushrooms. They are dried and supposedly for snacking (and they're tasty enough), but we've been mostly using them for cooking. Have just the right amount of salt and umami for recipes and convenient as heck.
    [​IMG]

T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Kudos! That looks 1.5 or so inches thick?
    T

25. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I saw those but didn't buy any. In fact they had them at one of the non-tasting or trying sample stations. Which seems exceedingly silly to me. Stand there and show people what they can't taste. But whatever, I guess it keeps the folks employed. :)