Feel embarrassed but will ask anyway: CA DAV Licensing | FerrariChat

Feel embarrassed but will ask anyway: CA DAV Licensing

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by SonomaRik, Mar 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I have an awkward possibility.

And before I get slammed just hear me out. I'm 100% VA disabled, but, YA!!! own a Ferrari [599 HGTE]. I am 'entitled' to one vehicle, DAV registered, that negates the registration fee. I'm leaning towards the 599 as registration is about $1,500/year.

Thoughts? And feel free to slam if wanted.

rik

2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Obviously use the exception on your most expensive to register vehicle.

If anyone has the audacity or offensiveness to question your disabled plate as a veteran, simply ignore them. My Iwo Jima veteran father was once accosted by a “Karen” at a grocery store long before “Karen’s” were a thing. I stepped in between them, said “Nice talking to you, Lady!” and ushered my Dad away from her.

Red 27, SonomaRik and futurelegendyyc like this.
  3. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Some years ago a friend had a Porsche with a legitimate disabled permit.

Several times he had tickets issued by parking control that required him to appear and validate the permit ... Sort of like a fix it ticket.

Alternately it may bring unwanted attention and possible damage to the car by jealous strangers. Keys, etc. One of the reasons I wouldn't park my red Carrera on the street with meters. Everyone can be important and key a car when they are alone.

Other than that ... no slam should be written and thank you for your service ....

jm348 and SonomaRik like this.
  4. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A friend of mine had a Harley with the handicapped plates. Strapped his cane to the hand bars. But as Smark points out above, (unstable) people hate Ferrari‘a more.

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Thank you for your Service, and yes, by all means, California is the most corrupt state in the country, not only do you deserve this benefit, but you should use it for your Ferrari !!! Drive that machine until the wheels fall off, you live in Ferrari country, when God breathed life into Enzo, he said to himself, Ferraris need to be driven in California, thats why he made our roads the best in the world !!! Just wait and see !!!

Thank you

jm348, Red 27 and SonomaRik like this.
  6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    thanks all
    Yup, my mobility is VERY limited, but this F1 allows me to only use my right leg which is huge. albeit below the entire back region is compromised [LOVE the air adjusted seat-back bags and heated seats!!!]. My cane is behind passenger's seat. When my body gives out, sometimes in a most unusual and non-warning manner, there is no recovery but to crawl somewhere, lay somewhere, and get assistance. SUCKS.

that is just one injury.

Also, I tend to diffuse any situation with humor or pleasant nature... seems to mostly work except for the persistent accosters.

As for damage.... pffft, all our cars are driven if not daily -- under proper/spirited conditions -- then most days. They are meant to be driven and if not they turn 'sour'. Have had the door dings, keying and even someone whom dropped a lit cigarette into our cracked window [to keep interior heat lower] onto the seat.

Figure it's a cost of ownership. We have zero desires to have a queen. We'll drive it into the ground as the others were.

thanks all..... already started the paperwork with DMV/VA and many I've connected with have zero problems. Actually can cost the same as a wheel assisted van if priced correctly.

rik

ZF123, jm348, Red 27 and 1 other person like this.