Renault F1 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Renault F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Entirely agree.

F1 is a highly controlled and protective bubble.

Once they step outside they are just like the rest of us.
    Exposed.

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hope 'nando makes a full, and good recovery.

stavura, SimCity3, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Completely ridiculous.

greg328 likes this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi has confirmed Daniil Kvyat will be the team's official reserve driver for the forthcoming Formula 1 season.

Kvyat has raced in six of the past seven F1 seasons with Red Bull and Toro Rosso/AlphaTauri. In 2018, the Russian spent a year as the Ferrari reserve driver after losing his Toro Rosso seat to Brendon Hartley.

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Juan Montoya hurt his arm playing tennis. Schumacher told him not to play tennis while driving a motorcycle.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. DF1

A touch surprised this functional shift has taken so long.

Renault evaluating switch to Mercedes F1 engine design concept

Mar 3, 2021, 12:12 PM
    Renault is evaluating a switch to the Mercedes concept of a split turbo and compressor on its Formula 1 power unit as part of an engine overhaul for 2022.

7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The Alpine car looks fantastic.

Bas likes this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Err, didn't they just build a brand new engine for 2021? This is not a promising start.

agree!

crinoid likes this.
  9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    New management, new name, new driver, new livery, etc ...

Alpine, a team in search of identity.

PS: Don't mention Renault !!! :)

10. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012

11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Better late than never.......

Renault could adopt Mercedes-style F1 engine concept for 2022

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Renault says it is open to overhauling its power unit concept when it introduces a new engine in Formula 1 next year.

Renault, which now only supplies the Alpine team following McLaren’s return to Mercedes, decided during the early stages of the Covid-19 pandemic not to introduce a new power unit for 2021.

Instead it is using an upgraded version of its 2020-spec power unit.

Formula 1 is overhauling its technical regulations for 2022 but the current power unit technology will remain in place until 2025.

A freeze on engine development had initially been planned for 2023 but this has now been brought forward to 2022.

Mercedes pioneered a split turbo/compressor concept at the start of Formula 1’s hybrid era in 2014 while Honda followed suit in 2017.

On whether Renault could adopt that approach in 2022 its engine chief Remi Taffin said: “Simple answer is yes. We could be going down that route. We are evaluating [it].”

Taffin added that “the decision we made in 2020 [not to introduce a new engine for 2021] was driven by the fact that we would actually put everything into 2022.

“We had in mind we’d have an evolution for 2023, that we would make the best out of the new baseline we have in 2022, which is now not the case any longer as we don’t have [the] 2023 [upgrade].

“But, actually, we’re quite happy [as] we can do a big push for 2022. We are trying [to] push forward even some of the evolution we had [planned] for 2023 into 2022.”

On the modifications Renault has made for 2021 Taffin explained that “[we did] bring a bit of performance but the main focus was on reliability, making sure we get consistency, so there were a few updates.

“In terms of performance, it’s more like a step you’d do in-season, not a massive step, it’s an evolution of what we did last year.

“The main reason is we had to make this decision last year when we had shutdown for more than two months and had to re-plan.

“We took the decision in March last year. We will work and build on what we have done last year.

“I would have preferred to have the ‘21 engine that we now have for ‘22 but at some point you have to make some plans and follow them, and that’s the case.”

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/03/04/renault-could-adopt-mercedes-style-f1-engine-concept-for-2022/?feed_id=15232

12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    BUUUUUUUT, back in 2017 Renault opted NOT TO COPY the Mercedes design regarding the split turbo.

Incidentally, Ferrari has yet to copy the split turbo design from Mercedes.

Renault: 'No good reason' to copy Mercedes' split F1 engine design

Renault has ruled out following Mercedes' concept of adopting a split turbo on its Formula 1 engine, saying it sees "no good reason" to overhaul its design

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/renault-no-good-reason-to-copy-mercedes-split-f1-engine-design-5000217/5000217/

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    But with the "Red Bull engine" rule and the power equalized, the situation is different.

14. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alonso-will-require-further-jaw-surgery-after-2021-f1-season/5696155/?nrt=54

Having undergone a jaw operation at the time to repair the damage, Alonso revealed on the first day of pre-season testing that he will need a further visit to hospital after the end of the 2021 campaign.

"I don't expect any issues honestly," said Alonso, when asked about how his preparations for the campaign had been impacted by the crash.

"I've been training for I think three weeks or two weeks, absolutely normal and I've been in the simulator as well, Monday and Tuesday, so you know the preparations were not affected too much.

"I missed only a couple of marketing days and filming days which I was happy with in a way. And then, I recorded everything yesterday afternoon, so I had a very intense day on marketing activities. But yeah I feel fine, obviously.

"One thing is the professional side and driving side, which is 100%. On the personal side, obviously I will have to remove two titanium plates that I have on the upper jaw, that will be removed at the end of the season.

"So, there is still something going on after the championship finishes but, as I said, they will not affect my professional life."

15. DF1

He is the best on the grid!!

Alpine F1 team "blown away" by Alonso's race craft
    Aug 18, 2021, 5:00 AM
    Alpine Formula 1 executive director Marcin Budkowski says the Enstone team has been "blown away" by Fernando Alonso's race craft across the first half of the 2021 season.

375+ and Bas like this.
  16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If Fernando had kept his cool, he would have logged 2 more years in F1 and likely 1 more title.

But NO

william likes this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    375+ likes this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Pity that they didn't bring the V10.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    LMP1 class is running a hydrogen powered car......just reminder of where car technology is headed. It seems the LMP1 class is at the "pinnacle of motorsport" with regards to motorsport technology.

Nortonious and DF1 like this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If hydrogen power was receiving as much help and financial incentive as electric power, it would win hands down.
    Instead it will probably be stillborn for lack of support in high places.

jgonzalesm6 and 375+ like this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Alonso on his lap in Le Mans. "Unfortunately it was only a demo lap, not a push lap. Simulations say in a F1 car you can go something under 3 minutes." Pole lap of Toyota was 3:23.9 min this year (2021).

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  24. DF1

Prost to depart Alpine F1 advisory role; Szafnauer, BWT set to join
    By: Adam Cooper
    Jan 17, 2022, 6:52 AM
    Four-time Formula 1 champion Alain Prost has left his advisory role with the Alpine team as part of the ongoing management shake-up.