What's For Dinner? | Page 656 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    With Sous Vide you can make it any level you want and be pretty exact. I have seen recipes for tr-tip that say only cook for 2-3 hours but I'm lazy and put it in before I go to bed and take out right before searing. I did this at 129 degrees for probably 8-9 hours. Hot grill for maybe 2 minutes per quarter turn on each side.

2. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rule number 1: you *ALWAYS* get the wine pairing. ;)

Wife and I were in Vegas a couple years back for EDC (yes, we're over 40 and I still go to raves :D). We hit up Steak (Ramsay's gig in the Paris) and got the tasting menu (which was hardly "tastes"....full flippin dishes for every course--glad we fasted pretty much all day lol) along with the pairing. The somm apparently had an on/off thing with our (ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC) server, and they were off, so the somm was mad at our dude. Thus, he wasn't pouring for any of his tables. So our dude would give us a FULL pour (6-8 oz vs 2-3 for the tasting) each course, usually coupled with an "oh no, i overpoured--AGAIN!! Oh geez i'm *SO SORRY* guys!!!"

That was a *REALLY* fun walk along the strip after dinner :D

3. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Lyft will be in full effect for a lot of our plans. We're staying in the Quarter so most of our dailies (DuMonde for beignets naturally) will be walking distance. But Garden District we'll either take the trolley because i love the historical part of it or just use Lyft. Once the car's parked, it's *PARKED* lol.

Speaking of Du Monde, these guys were out there in July busking hard and earning a (HOPEFULLY) good bit of tips. They were great!

4. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm going to get sashimi, rolls and chicken yaka soba for dinner tonight. I'll share the sashimi with the mutt Bella.

5. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Oh, this is the number of Japanese restaurants near my house: japanese restaurants south surrey - Google Maps I think they are fronts for money laundering. Too many restaurants serving the same fare, can't see how they stay in business.

6. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    I've done it both ways with tri-tip - 2-3 hrs and 8 hrs. I find tri tip can sometimes be a little on the chewy side. By leaving it in the sous vide for at least 8 hours, it really makes a difference in the tenderness. The other thing is make sure it's prime grade - usually can get it in Costco but if you're not paying attention, you might accidentally get choice! Ask me how I know!!

Jdubbya likes this.
  7. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looks like a combination of mom-n-pops and chains.

max930 likes this.
  8. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Either way, its a lot of Japanese restaurants for the small area.

armedferret likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cafe DuMonde, love that place. Just wish they served espresso instead of cafe au lait! Save travels...T

armedferret likes this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We did prime grade tri-tip from Costco last night. Only danger is over cooking it. The weird thing was the last batch missus picked up was sliced into long strips. In the end it worked out, so I could do her bit more and mine a little less well done. We finish ours up in the oven to dial in the temp(s) that we want...T

Jdubbya likes this.
  11. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I usually do tri tip for 22-24 hours sous vide. Comes out meltingly tender.

Jdubbya and tomc like this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That was one of our favorite things to do when we moved to Texas. Just drive around and try small mom and pop joints - Tex Mex, Asian, bbq, small town diners, etc. Had a few misses, but mostly great meals.

Wife was tired of listening to me complaining about Kroger jalapeños being wimpy. So, she got serranos, which I did not know were hotter on average than jalapeños.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Prep # 1. Hot brined. One I sliced straight, the other I removed seeds and membranes. Just in case.

Maybe these little fellas will produce serranos this summer!

T

13. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I moved to home-grown serrano for my venison/goose chili recipe. *REALLY* a big improvement.

Though it'll just be venison chili till the next waterfowl season, I was TDY on the days my pards got time to go this year. Might still have one vacuum sealed pair of goose breasts in the freezer. Loads of venison though. Lockdowns and working from home yielded a good harvest with PLENTY of time to get out in the blinds.

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I ordered my seeds today.

15. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    NbyNW and armedferret like this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What kinds? I am trying habanero (PITA), Calabrian (good results thus far ), jalapeño (sickly!), serrano & cayenne (good) and Hungarian hot wax (germinating rocks would be easier!) from seed.

I checked out the ones I was trying to over winter last weekend, and they're looking poorly after the big freeze. Next year, I will transplant to pots so that I can move to indoors if crazy s*!@ weather happens again.

T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think it was @BrettC who had great luck with serranos , which motivated me to try them this year. I like the flavor thus far, nice heat, not crazy hot though.

By the way, how's goose compare to duck. Another thing I've wanted to try but never have.

T

armedferret likes this.
  18. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'll post them up when they come in. One order comes tomorrow. I can't remember. lol

tomc likes this.
  19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #16394 wax, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    My Mom's Stepdad started with zip, grew zip into 3 Supermarkets. She was Bookkeeper & Gawd bless her, kept a tab open for her 2 brats & during Summer, lotsa days & nights were spent at the Ranch House eh, 50 yards back of Store #1. First thing in A.M., though - us boys would get the produce cleaned up at rear door #4 of 4. Get it all in, whether green things, real cartons of fruits or 100# burlap sacks of rice, pintos, potatoes. I can still smell it all.

One smelly day, present were soon-to-be-Uncle-by-marriage Hal, Uncles Peter & Norman, my Brother & Me. Milk order wasn't in yet & while dreaming of chocolate milk, I was pricing tomato sauce with a proper ink stamper & . . .

Peter says, "Hey, Tommy, c'mere."
    So here I was.

"See this?"
    - 'Ye-aah.'
    "It's the world's hottest pepper."
    - 'Ye-aah?'
    *Takes bite*
    - 'Gasp'

"I had to work my way up to that."
    (Soon-to-be-Uncle-Hal's affirming nod was quite stoic.)
    "I started with these baby ones. "

As he continued munching on the red bell pepper, I had my first pepper, seeds & all & come to find out, Serranos are hot.

Now, I'd heard milk could help with hot stuff, but I wasn't about to put a big & probably old carton on Mom's tab. Spied the Yoo-hoo which I'd never tried, waved it at cashier, popped it open on wall-mount opener by back door #2, took my first and last swig of Yoo-hoo. Grabbed a Pepsi, waved it at cashier who looked at me like I was a spoiled brat, popped the top on same opener, Guzzled the whole thing. Of course, the whole time, the whole gang of best Uncles & Brother could ever have were just howling, laughing . . . like I am now.

It's one of my favorite memories.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Serrano's are great. Tasty and hotter...on the scoville scale 10,000 to 25,000 while jalapenos are a puny 2500 to 10,000.
    Cheers! Doing A5 strip from Debragga tonight with baked potato to soak up the fat and asparagus fried in the meat fat. I'll try to post before it's inhaled. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nicolas21, NbyNW, TexasF355F1 and 2 others like this.
  21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett

tomc likes this.
  22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Sorry, A5 got inhaled before a pic ensued...my bad.

tomc and armedferret like this.
  23. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Farm raised I prefer duck, goose is closer to turkey.

I tend to harvest my own of both from the skies, and that is far different. No layer of fat on the breast like with farmed duck, so both wild duck and wild goose are very lean and similar in profile. (Though duck tends to be more tender)

The major issue that can arise is if you or your significant other (latter in my case) isn't keen on less than medium rare doneness, it gets chewy. FAST. (Result of no fat layer rendering into the meat)

I've smoked with a beef tallow "cap" and injected teriyaki, and that was quite successful.....but probably the favorite here is cubed, "grayed" in a pan (just warm and long enough to change the color of the outer surface, not a full sear) then into the crock pot for 4-6 hours for low n slow chili. The meat melts in your mouth. Easiest way to do wild canada goose and duck (mallard and pintail at least) without worrying about overcooking it and turning it into a pirelli.

tomc, wax and TexasF355F1 like this.
  24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    ^"Pirelli"^ lulz. My Bride can make that.

She likes her meats cooked. Even Medium isn't enough.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

25. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Did salmon and tuna sashimi last night. With two orders of rolls. A chopped scallop and close to a Boston roll, forget the name.