Portofino vs California T - first time buyer | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Portofino vs California T - first time buyer

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ohmygosh, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

If you were buying a used Ferrari now, which would you choose or recommend between

1. A used 2016 California T at c.£105k

28.8%
  2. A used 2019 Portofino at c.£140k

71.2%
  1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Home run! Oops, I see that you're in jolly old England. Make that boundary six!

Enjoy your new car. Spring is on the way, enjoy the car with your family. Congrats!

T

ohmygosh and russellmcg like this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!

ohmygosh likes this.
  3. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Congratulations! You’ll love it. Enjoy in good health.

ohmygosh likes this.
  4. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Great color choice for the Portofino, enjoy!

ohmygosh likes this.
  5. swiftar

swiftar Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Great Picture! love the castle in the background. I am sure the smiles will be plentiful.

ohmygosh likes this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Owned a 2017 Cali T HS and it was great but the Portofino I bought for the wife is better in a lot of ways. I think it's a better looking car, the seats and interior layout are better and it's faster. My wife loves the car so much I barely get to drive it.

alex and ohmygosh like this.
  7. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    Better yes, but 50k-70k better (low mileage 2017 Cali T Hs vs low mileage 2019 Porto)? In test drove two Portos extensively and settled for a 2017 Cali T HS. T

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Just giving my opinion here. The OP did show the price difference and I think the Portofino is worth the extra money because you get the updated driver interface , better shifting and suspension with 50 more hp than even what you have on the T HS. I think the non-GPF version also has better sound but that's subjective because the Cali T HS has an improved exhaust which was improved for the Porto.

9. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    That's his country cottage lol.

ohmygosh likes this.
  10. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    Sadly that’s not my pad....

11. Adamgcm14

Adamgcm14 Rookie

Apr 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    Adam Guernari
    Lovely car and actually saw it myself on Autotrader. I have a young family and have been going through the same dilemma. How is the Porto and are you happy with your choice? I am planning to make a decision in the next month in time for the summer months.

ohmygosh likes this.
  12. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    I'm totally delighted with it and very pleased I went Porto vs Cali. It feels like several cars in one - with very different personalities in comfort vs sport vs manual and then roof up vs down. I'm disappointed with the infotainment system (but that's not what I've bought it for of course). Our family car is a Tesla Model X so used to a very big screen and lots of functionality.

But the porto is beautiful from every angle, sounds incredible and drives brilliantly.

What you are weighing it up against?

13. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Beautiful color! Enjoy the drive!

ohmygosh likes this.
  14. Adamgcm14

Adamgcm14 Rookie

Apr 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    Adam Guernari
    Great to hear you are delighted with the car and enjoying it. I love the colour of yours and if the choice is there I think I’d take the same colour!

I have thought about a 911 Carrera S (992) as well as the Portofino as I can get the kids in the back of both. I have also wondered how often I will actually take the kids out in it and then thought a 458 or 488. They would be 2015 car for the 458 and 2017 for the 488, but I keep coming back to the Portofino for the reasons you stated above and it’s newer so hopefully have less problems than the older cars. It will be my first Ferrari and feels like a big purchase so weighing up cost, residuals, reliability, ongoing costs are key to my decision.

15. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    Sounds like you’re going through the same process I did.

I think one impotent point is that the Ferrari is really in a different league to the Porsche in pretty much every aspect. The ownership experience is unparalleled.

People have been so complimentary, interested and lovely about the car. The brand seems to carry a very special halo for anyone who is remotely interested in cars.

We’ve spent more time with the kids in it they without. I wouldn’t want to drive it fast with them in it to be honest. Particularly when you realise how close their heads are to the front seats!

Happy to chat further if that would help you out.

16. Adamgcm14

Adamgcm14 Rookie

Apr 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    Adam Guernari
    Thank you very much, that’s very helpful and good to hear you haven’t had any regrets.

The plan is to get one in the next month or so and I’m sure I’ll have to post a pic once it arrives.

All the best.

17. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Make sure you get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) and push for a test drive of any car you are interested in owning.

ohmygosh and Adamgcm14 like this.