Testarossa Price Trends | Page 219 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    it never crossed my mind but I bet I could find someone during these times to believe and overpay for my Schedoni luggage set over on the BringALouisVuittonTrailer.com site. Seriously, I cant believe that no one commented on the car listing to correctly represent it as Schedoni. I hope the buyer wont be disappointed when he can’t find any LV stampings!

stalwart, versamil and blkdiablo33 like this.
  2. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Either I'm out of touch or that person VASTLY overpaid for that car. I know it has 3K miles and mine has 7k but with all that cosmetic and no recent heavy service my car is in WAY better condition. I think I have 2 little chips around the headlights, no paint work, and zero dents.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  3. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The trend of inflation is far reaching and will only continue as we print money, lend at 0%, push stimulus cash, and cause people to find alternatives to sitting in cash. Quality “classic” Ferraris will continue to appreciate in value. Good for owners, not so good for shoppers.

blkdiablo33, sixcarbs and ChipG like this.
  4. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    I didn't see anyone else say it, but that 3k mile car on BAT looked ratty. With a front spoiler like that, I'd guess that car has 50k+ miles. A 3k mile car would not present like that.

5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Interesting you mention that. I doubted the miles myself and though it was concerning the Carfax and paperwork had no mileage events aside from the delivery listed. Between that and a lack of service records to shore up the miles claim I just wasn’t convinced it’s got a legitimate 3,000 miles on it.

ChipG likes this.
  6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    #5457 ChipG, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Image Unavailable, Please Login https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-ferrari-testarossa-18/

Pretty rough car, wheels are scraped, front spoiler is scraped, driver's seat looks like it has 20k miles of wear and tear on it, paint is scratched up and most likely not original on some panels. Who in their right mind would pay that much for this car? You can buy a nicer one for $50k less

Edit, I had to go look, the person who bought it owned a service shop in the past, read his comments, sorry, for some reason they are on top ^

7. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    ONE wrong move on the wrong driveway, and your paper thin front spoiler is broken. The spoiler is EASILY removed for repair. While people on THIS site poo poo Testarossa prices no one gives it a thought to pay three hundred to five hundred thousand dollars for a Dino. This seller showed what he thought was every flaw on the car- pretty honestly presented. I KNOW the back story on this car, as I bought it and paid way too much for it. So rather than think these cars aren't worth much, why don't we all realize they're an underpriced supercar from the 80's. If OWNERS of the cars belittle their own cars values, what's with that? Certainly these are better cars to drive than a BOXER which is selling for another 100 to 150K.

I looked at a 2500 Mile car at Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo yesterday, and while it was VERY nice, with a beautiful Crema interior which is somewhat rare, and it had JUST been serviced, it's dash looked terrible with a lot of shrinking and discoloration. Some things are easy to fix and others are harder.

I didn't decide to buy this car earlier this week when I posted about the value of these cars. The original buyer of these cars PAID 175K for these cars in 1990. Certainly THIS car is NOT worn out, underused, but it's STILL a new car, with a few battle scars that are easily fixed. So a Dino sold for what- 10 grand back in the seventies, and now is worth a fortune. Us Testarossa owners shouldn't act like our cars are not worth much, we should think how LUCKY we are to be driving such an iconic car. Look at the values of Ford GT's from 2005- 2006. are they selling anywhere CLOSE to new prices? NO they've doubled! Why is that? MAybe the owners don't take every opportunity to belittle the fact that some ignoramus was willing to pay 165K for a car.

raysur, Zeff and EZORED like this.
  8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Life is a one lap race and someone out there is taking green pieces of paper with ink on them in exchange for a Testarossa. Congratulations on your purchase and have fun with your new car.

harleys3, sixcarbs, raysur and 2 others like this.
  9. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Based on a couple of recent legitimate auction results (Below) for sub 5k mike cars I don’t think the price was out of line. I just questioned the voracity of the mileage claim for the aforementioned reasons (carfax, reg papers, lack of service corroboration). The one positive I saw going for the miles is the odometer wasn’t jumpy so maybe it’s legit. Just a personal concern, but if the buyer is comfortable with the miles claimed that’s really all that matters.

I believe testsrossas are undervalued and castigated partly because of the numbers produced and more so for the fear of service costs (which candidly I don’t think live up to the hype). I think the age demographic of buyers is in the early years of lining up to buy these as their childhood dream cars and don’t expect any move but up, particularly for the nicer examples. None of it matters though... people should buy and drive whatever cars they enjoy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

blkdiablo33 and versamil like this.
  10. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    The new owner himself just said he "paid way too much" for that car. So I don't really understand the rest of the post.

I did not comment at all on what was paid or the value of a testarossa.

I just didn't like the way the car looked in some areas, for a car with supposed 3k miles. I will say the interior does look fresh, except for careless driver seats blemishes, and I'm not talking about the typical bolster leather and thread wear.

Anyhow, good luck with it. Get it serviced and cleaned up and you'll have a great car.

When I see my testarossa in the garage, wow, to me this car a supercar. Worth $500k easily. It's unreal. Sorry to say, but my long time owned 348 and 308, don't quite compare.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  11. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Well said, I agree 100 percent. For what it’s worth I don’t think you over paid. It is within the range for a low mileage car. If you know the backstory of the car than that is worth volumes. Wear and tear on a car can have a lot to do with how careful someone is with it. I throw a towel down over the seat and carpets when I use mine which reduces wear. Most people won’t do that. So my 40k car looks like it has 5k miles lol

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    They are priced the way they are because they are an icon based on a legend with timeless beauty and amazing to drive.

They also have reasonable servicing costs, are reliable, and easy to add additional horsepower to keep pace with modern cars.

And the demand for them is incredible....seems like every guy in a Mustang wants to own one someday, and most serious car collectors own one.

blkdiablo33 and Zeff like this.
  13. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013

Dash pad costs about $500 new. Minor compared to the things wrong on the 3k car.

14. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #5465 lowform, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Boy oh boy. Tough crowd here! I am the one who listed the 3k Testarossa on BaT. I'm not sure how you can look at the photos of this car and even have the idea of 'rough car' cross your mind. This car is in exception condition. As a honest seller, I took high-resolution photos of every blemish. It likely made them look much worse than they really are, I realize that, but I don't want to mislead anyone. Paint is scratched up? There were a few very small blemishes on the driver's door fins, the rest of the car is perfect. I specifically noted the rear decklid has been repainted, and it is was done very well. Furthermore, if you look at the Carfax it clearly follows the mileage and I have every receipt from purchase to current that states the mileage is actual. This car was and is someone's pride any joy. Please be respectful of that.

Congrats to Versamil for buying such an iconic car! You are the perfect buyer with your first hand knowledge of how to bring all the maintenance of this car up to date. I would expect Testarossa enthusiasts to be elated to see the values climbing and congratulate you on taking ownership of such a treasure. After you're finished with all the service (and new front lip), this will be a $200,000+ car.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well I think it was probably 10k too much so what 5%? Not too bad. Now pre Covid one like that didn’t crack that much on BAT
    U are a mechanic so it will be easy for you to fix.
    I agree with u on the spoiler. So stressful at first.
    There aren’t many very low miles one for sure. U know the backstory and we don’t. That being said, would appear the owner didn’t necessarily treat her badly but not with the upmost care either.
    She is n good hands with you now! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Congrats, you did VERY well on that sale. Its condition certainly does not reflect the sale price if that's a better way for you to look at it. Again, congrats, no one saw a $165k price, one sold a week or two earlier for $80k (granted it has more miles and also needs work).

BTW don't ever believe what CarFax says, it's a false sense of security. Over the years I prob know well over 100 ferrari owners that unhooked the odometers, the only way for car fax to report a mileage discrepancy is if it was rolled back and all of a sudden a shop you took it into reports it.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  17. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congrats on an incredible buy. Well done!!

18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i think it was underpriced it was a buyers car.would you sell yours for that price and you have a white tr

19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    they made alot yes but how many came to the usa than that number is low imo

20. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Not to belabor the point, but since you countered on my carfax concern that no miles were documented in the events to prove miles (and knowing invoices can be fabricated, particularly generic paper ones from Indy shops) did you have a carfax report that differs from this? Below you can see there are no mileage events recorded to corroborate the miles, just as I had stated. Maybe you have a different versions since you said “if you look at the Carfax it clearly follows the mileage“ and I’m just not seeing that.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    so the last recorded mileage entry was from 28 years ago January 1993 with 1,327 miles on it then

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChipG likes this.
  23. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Maybe it’s fine, but I was considering the car too and if I were paying up to upper market I’d want incontrovertible proof of the miles.

mr308gtb and ChipG like this.
  24. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    congrats to the new owner enjoy in good health