Trouble finding tires | FerrariChat

Trouble finding tires

Discussion in '348/355' started by GianniD, Feb 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GianniD

GianniD Rookie

Mar 12, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Gianni Del Gaudio
    Hello FC members,

I am in the market for four new tires for my 348 but seem to be having trouble finding anything good. The best option tire rack seems to have are the BF Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2. Not too crazy about putting these on the car, but can’t seem to find Pirellis that fit. What is every one putting on their 348’s these days?

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2s are great tires. I tracked my 550 with those tires routinely. They were just as good on the street.

You shouldn't feel funny about putting them on your 348.

chas-3 and GianniD like this.
  3. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also a positive on BF Goodrich. I have them on my 348 Spider and no problems. Might get another set if I catch a decent deal!

GianniD likes this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I recently replaced a set with the OEM Pirelli they can still be sourced, fresh dates too. Looks right.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kokose7en and tres55 like this.
  5. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Yep I'm looking for tires to mine are over 10 years old but still have the whiskers on them but I know it's time to replace as a factor of time if I ever take the thing past 120 or so....

6. GianniD

GianniD Rookie

Mar 12, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Gianni Del Gaudio
    wow... thanks!! Wouldn’t have thought they were right for the car but I’m happy to hear it! I will probably go that route then. Thanks again.

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    My only gripe with the BFGs is the tread pattern doesn't suit that era of car well.

What about Michelin pilot sports?

8. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    I've had the BFG's on my Spider for six years, no complaints. They're far from the latest tech, but I think it's irresponsible to drive more than 8/10th's on the street anyway and when I track the car I'm at 9/10th's because it's a convertible without a roll bar.

But I'm going to replace them next year just because of age. I've found that going down 5 points in aspect ratio on both ends opens up a lot more options. Considering how few miles I drive each year, I'll probably go with some sort of DOT track day tire. Despite two weeks ago, it rarely gets super cold down here and I'm comfortable driving on an aggressive tire in the rain.

9. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    What's your usual driving like? Commute, Twisty roads, AutoX, Track, Racing? Has a significant impact on the tire you want.

Recently, for a mix of everything but racing, I've been using Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and have been very happy. For racing they wouldn't work and you'd be looking at hoosiers in closest fit.

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    You guys are lucky; only ones in the correct size here are Pirellis. You can still get them; just don’t try and search on the Pirelli website which is beyond rubbish.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates that. That's one of the first things I notice for some reason. Nothing irks me more than a 1980s car with some crazy 2010s tread pattern. haha. Sometimes, one of the best things about a car is the tires and the tread pattern.

tres55, GTO Joe and MAD828 like this.
  12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    You should just swap out the wheels for either 355 or 360 versions so you can upgrade to 18" tires. Lots more choices there. If you want more choices for your 17's then I suggest you use the Tire Rack tire size tool and run it for matching sets with the slightly wider rears and as close to stock for the fronts. For example, I was running Yokohamas on my Spider with the OEM rear fitment, but slightly lower profile fronts. I like the resulting rake - it was a very small difference from OEM. You can use a tire size tool as well to match OEM diameters with your possible selections. It you want more choices than 1 or 2 that have the exact OEM specs, you are limited. If you are slightly creative, you can expand your options immensely. But, the best option, IMO, is to upgrade wheels. The increase in performance and handling is well worth it.

moehler likes this.
  13. 348 TB

348 TB Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Mike V
  14. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Local Pirelli dealer. No issue at all. I live in Australia your luck may vary.

Kokose7en likes this.
  15. 348 TB

348 TB Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Mike V
    band new to date or old stock?

16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    New, as stated fresh stock. I wouldn’t replace with old rubber makes no sense.

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    They are available in Europe, I've checked myself.

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I don't think your Pirellis in stock sizes, 215/50-17 F and 255/45-17 R, are available in the United States market. We have one of our sponsors, Longstone Classic Tyres, who might be able to help.

Personally, I don't think the tread pattern of the BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 would look terribly out of place on a 348...

Image Unavailable, Please Login