Attaining Dealer License | FerrariChat

Attaining Dealer License

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TG, Sep 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Knowing someone did this before buying an F-car, with the intent of only buying one F-car, is it worth going through the process? What are the fee's associated with it? Benefits? Insurance, and any other details would be appreciated...

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    it is a very deep and involved process. It take MONTHS to set up, you have to set up a bond, qualify for insurance and in some cases have a building zoned in a particular area. Also, you must have a proper sign and the state will come out and inspect everything to make sure everything is on the up and up.

It really isn't all that beneficial if you are purchasing one car... or even one car a year. The cost of dealer insurance as well as higher deductibles as well as justifying dealer use if you are involved in an accident at 1am on saturday night can get sketchy. Also, your insurance may want to hear about that as well...

Also, the benefits are only good if you can pay 100% of the car in cash up front. If you finance the car you will get ZERO benefit from it.

3. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    As mentioned, CA DMV requires that you have a signed lease in a properly zoned building, with a signature from a city planner as proof.

If you are only going to buy one car, my advice is to pay the taxes and be happy. You will spend much more time and money on obtaining a license.

andyrichter likes this.
  4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Bumping this again....has anyone gone through this process? I understand it takes time and a lot of paperwork, but if one buys and sells a couple cars a year, seems it may save on taxes, registration and insurance.
    For a wholesale license, can you operate from home?

Sent from my 16M

5. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    I did it for this specific process. its great to have dealer plates to slap on anything you want. If you want to shortcut the process, PM me. I am forming a new dealership with another friend, wouldnt be too hard to add another person to the license at this point. I already have the location. As soon as my new dealer license is approved, ill be surrendering my current license as I formed it with my 501(c)3 to get out of some taxes but its currently limiting my potential with the license. (THIS IS NOT MY PRIMARY BUSINESS) I just do enough to make some decent money, and be able to buy whatever I want at the auction (CASH ONLY.) I dont use any flooring nor do I offer financing to my clients.

Hit me up if your interested in getting in. I'm located in Huntington Beach.

plastique999 likes this.
  6. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Go for your wholesale license, it's much easier

plastique999 likes this.
  7. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    Then you are stuck with everything you buy, you can’t even legally register it to yourself. I started with a wholesale only license. Switched it out not even 90 days later.

You can’t even transfer titles to a non dealer out of state. You’re 100% stuck with everything you buy unless you have another dealer who will retail run your cars for you. You’re going to pay a fee usually $500-1000 per car, then you’re going to pay tax and dealer fees on top of that. 100% not worth it!

andyrichter and El Wayne like this.
  8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow!! NINE YEAR OLD Zombie thread resurrection - that's gotta be close to a record!! :D:D

Jedi

plastique999 likes this.
  9. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    I believe Edward bumped it purposely instead of starting a new thread

plastique999 likes this.
  10. mamen644

mamen644 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Impeccable timing, I have recently been trying to navigate various states dealer laws and hoops, trying to figure out the easiest process. The fact that this near decade old thread was resurrected just days ago is awesome! I'd definitely be interested, I will shoot you a PM.

11. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    No problem, where you located?

12. mamen644

mamen644 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    The great state of Nebraska actually

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thank you! PM sent

Sent from my 16M

14. Blackfin

Blackfin Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    Southern California
    It is not as difficult as people make out here in CA, just have to be smart about it. I have a full retail and a location I was able to get zoned. Message me if you would like some guidance, I got my license within 45 days of starting to look into the process.
    If you don't have a criminal record, apply for an occupational license, show the lease, get a business license, a $50k bond costs $500 and takes a day to process.
    My warehouse is zoned and I'd be willing to share and help someone out who is looking to get one.
    It pays for itself with the first 100-200k car you purchase and don't pay sales tax/registartion.
    I also have some track focused cars that wouldn't necessarily pas smog but I can drive them with my plate.

andyrichter and ShineKen like this.
  15. Jaydes

Jaydes Rookie

Dec 28, 2020
    Looking into setting one up in California. Would appreciate any help from this group!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

VOKS7780 likes this.
  16. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    you save the tax, probably costs $10k in real money and opportunity cost to set it up, for one car, not worth it, for someone with a car addiction and short attention span, worth it.

17. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Montana LLC?

18. VOKS7780

VOKS7780 Karting

Apr 2, 2020
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    VIC OVASAPYAN
    Likewise, any help will be greatly appreciated.

19. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    There is another issue I came across in my research a couple years ago ... Insurance... Not the required dealers bond but the comp / collision on the cars.

They are "inventory" and there are a host of limitations for regularly driving the car as well as where it will be stored.

Worth looking .....

plastique999 likes this.
  20. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
  21. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    Yes, dealerships require their own 'dealer' insurance policies. Basically put, any car you put your dealer plate on, its automatically insured.
    Also, this wasn't mentioned in previous posts.... not all dealerships require a brick and mortar properly zoned location, You can always choose wholesale dealership over retail dealership. Wholesale is a bit less involved than retail.

22. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I’m in the process, taken the class and and DMV test. Go back to DMV August 8th to turn in complete packet.

23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Just got my wholesale license and temp tags…so my temp tags are in a paper form (not an actual paper license plate). So I’m curious now how I put these on some of my cars.
    I need to look into the “dealer” insurance, currently have State Farm so will see if they have this type of coverage.

Here is my question on my current fleet. So let’s say I put on a dealer plate on say my Speciale that hypothetically may or may not pass smog… do I need to worry about that?
    And if I put the dealer plate on the Speciale, do I need to continue to register it? Or how do I “transfer” the ownership to my dealer LLC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Dealer plates = no smog, no tax, no problems. Call coffer insurance for your garage liability policy.

(714) 237-0000

plastique999 likes this.
  25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Ok I’m a bit confused now regarding smog… I just bought a car from out of state into my dealer (wholesale). I was told I need to change title to CA, fill out a Reg 262, Ref 256, smog it and VIN verify…?