06885: LMC phone interview with Harley Cluxton about "Marcello". | FerrariChat

06885: LMC phone interview with Harley Cluxton about "Marcello".

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Feb 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1 miurasv, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Peter and Gary Klutt of Legendary Motorcar discuss 275 GTB Competizione Speciale #06885 owned by the late Preston Henn and entertainingly interview former owner Harley Cluxton on the phone who sold it to him. Lots of great facts about Marcello including how Cluxton and Marcel Massini value the car.

Simon, NunoRosso, Tenney and 2 others like this.
  2. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    This is a wonderful video and many thanks for those who realized it and posted it.

First we don’t realize but the 50 years between the mid fifties and beginning of 2000, will remain forever, the defining period of petrol engine motor cars. With new technology, new material, new aerodynamics, and this influenced racing that evolved into Formula 1, Endurance racing and Rallyes world championship. There will still be cars in the future, and car events, but is clear that this will be very different from what we have seen in the last 50 years which will be a very specific unique period.

Second is , witnesses will gradually disappear. And we have a duty for generations (of car enthusiasts, but not only) to come , to get the first hand comments from those who were the actors. We can no longer interview Fangio, but we can still interview and record the statements of Jacky Ick, Mario Andretti, or Harley Cluxton ( which whom I had a chance to chat several years ago during the Gooding auction at PB) and we should do it systematically. And we should be very grateful to people like LMC for conducting such interviews to be preserved for future generations and we ( they) should do this systematically. I had a chance to meet John Surtees ( during the 275 Ferrari Tour, more on that later) and Sterling Moss ( who inspected my car, second in class at Pebble Beach) but we will have less and less of them with us ( if we are still there!).

Now back to Preston Henn. He was a big racer of his own and competed in the mid late seventies in real races, Sebring and Daytona in particular , and of course Le Mans. He was the reals stuff, not like us competing in 45 minutes races at Le Mans Classic, which is nice but nothing compared to a real 24 hours shared with 2 pilots ( before becoming 3!).
    I followed his 275 during the 2004 Ferrari 275 Tour in Tuscany, and this was the loudest car I ever heard. I made this picture while driving behind it,,
    And he loved loud cars, I had the opportunity later to buy and race the Daytona Group4 that he and his daughter raced in the late seventies, which was also a very loud car, and one of the few cars he ever sold. Pictured in front of the swap shop when he put it up for sale! We raced back to Le Mans and again I had a chance to meet and talk at length to two of the original drivers of this period, Gurdjian and Mignot, and sadly Philippe is no longer with us.

Preston was a shrewd businessman, very successful , notoriously difficult à la Caroll Shelby, prompt to legal battles if need be, a first class private driver, and a collector with impeccable taste in particular for race cars. And he kept this 275 most of his life, while not hesitating to take it out and show it to us for our pleasure. I wish we had more of those real car enthusiasts among ourselves!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud, 275gtb6c, greg328 and 7 others like this.
  3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Bira, you should know that I am finishing a book about the cars and people I have met, titled "Adventures in Ferrari Land." I don't claim to be an expert, and I don't like my writing style. But there will be lots of pix, and I hope that you and my friends on F-Chat will find it of interest. Maybe in a few months? Cheers!

mcimino, JimEakin, nschots and 15 others like this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #4 Jack-the-lad, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021

(Raises hand for a copy):)

christc, Terra and BMWairhead like this.
  5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’ve sent a link to this thread to Al Roberts who maintained many of Preston’s cars including 06885 for many years. Al is in the car in Biro’s photo above in the 2004 275 tour. Henn’s codriver was to have been Bill Shearer, but at the last minute he was unable to participate. Coincidentally, Harley Cluxton and I attended college together.

readplays likes this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Henn made waves in offshore powerboat racing as well. Many firsts and at least as many DNF's.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #7 miurasv, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    275 GTB Competizione Speciale #06885.

It must be very difficult to remember things from over 50 years ago, especially when put on the spot having to recall things and convey facts quickly over the phone.

06885 was built and raced in red at the 1965 Targa Florio and 1965 Nurburgring 1000 KM and then painted Ecurie Francorchamps yellow by Ferrari for Swaters' drivers Mairesse and Blaton to race at Le Mans, 1965 and went back to red after that.

The carbs in the car are 6 x 40 DCN 2 Webers, not 38s.

Henn advertised the car in FML in December, 1988 and in February, 1989 for $10,000,000.

The other 2 275 GTB Competizione Speciales that Harley Cluxton was referring to were #06701, that sold for $26.4 million in 2014 which is owned owned by Leslie Wexner and #07185 owned by Robson Walton. Neither have an in period competition history.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  8. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Ed, I definitely want a copy signed by you! I only had 18 classic Ferrari’s to date,,nothing compared to your total,,,including 3 GTBs ( in fact 4 as I owned #7781 in which I was in the 2004 Ferrari 275 Tour twice! And I know that you owned some of your cars more than once! Or,even more than twice!
    So this will be “ a book from car nut for car nuts!”.
    Please hurry up, I can’t wait reading it!

nschots, Jack-the-lad and 275gtb6c like this.
  9. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    My father saw him at a race in Florida in the mid 80s IIRC and he said Henn had an entire tractor trailer truck with spare motors for the times “something broke.” Not surprised by your DNF line.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #10 miurasv, Dec 22, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    06885 did not get its outside dry sump oil filler, which was/is located on the rear RHS of the hood/bonnet, until Le Mans, 1965. It did not have this feature at its earlier races at the 1965 Targa Florio or the 1965 Nurburgring 1000 KM.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Do we know if it is still owned by the Henn estate?

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes.

Marcel Massini

ivo73 and 375+ like this.