Tesla | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Tesla

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bocaf430, Jun 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia

True!

No AM on the Model X

Shifty AM on the S.

I own both. I know.

Kai

2. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    My MS has perfect AM reception.

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Probably has to due with your AM providers and what stations you are on.

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My understanding is only signature and launch editions recieved AM capability on model S. Can you provide your thoughts

5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
  7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think part of the Tesla thing is they are trying to make them be different, kind of almost uncar like.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes they truly out-did themselves with hideousness. Just awful.

And it has one of those silly half cut steering wheels...I see some people use them on their supercars these days, so ugly and not at all useful on a streetcar.

9. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    This trackday didn't go well for this guy.

Track: 2.1miles (3.38km)
    Air temp: 25ºC

Plaid brakes overheated and failed after only 3,25 laps...so about 6.8miles (~11km).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

So, the Plaid at Nordscheleife (20.832km) had stock brakes, right? ;):rolleyes:

Wikdstrate likes this.
  10. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    SRF, Motul or the like, if so ...?

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    While I'm no fan of Tesla, who thought ANY Model S was suited for track use?
    The guy admits it's a "heavy" car and "not intended" for tracking...and then tracks it.
    You can't fix stupid.

12. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    With all the nannies i.e auto pilot,camera sensors which calibrate oversteer etc they are going to take a toll even with track mode. I use mine as a city car.

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Seems that Autopilot has a problem detecting motorcycles from behind .... and children. :confused: Hey, c'mon, nothings perfect. :eek:

>>> Just for the record, I am Tesla fan, but NOT a fan of 'AUTOPILOT' (worst name ever for something that DOES NOT WORK! ..... yet )

..... and Ralph Nader is still at it! :eek: Doin' what he does. If Ralph Nader has your product in his sights you better have a lot of good lawyers on retainer. :D

Ralph Nader urges regulators to recall Tesla’s ‘manslaughtering’ Full Self-Driving vehicles
    Nader called FSD ‘one of the most dangerous and irresponsible actions by a car company in decades

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/10/23299973/ralph-nader-tesla-fsd-recall-nhtsa-autopilot-crash

Tesla Investigated For Two Motorcyclists Killed In Autopilot Crashes
    https://insideevs.com/news/603364/tesla-probe-motorcyclist-crash-autopilot-higwhway-night/

Tesla’s self-driving technology fails to detect children in the road, group claims
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/aug/09/tesla-self-driving-technology-safety-children

14. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  15. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    FWIW I did my first road trip in an EV ever. With superchargers it's so much easier than I expected. Just had to plan food and bathroom stops around superchargers instead of Shell stations. A couple times I had to increase the max charge from 90 to 95% to avoid getting idle fees since we weren't ready to get back in the car. My only gripes are the 85MPH max speed on autosteer and poor handling of construction zones, but I know my car is on really old software so once the latest stuff hits it I expect it to be much better.
    The Plaid is wicked fast. Can't wait to get a chance to play with it at the track.

BJK likes this.
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Curious, how do 'idle fees' work? is there a max? o_O

17. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    If you are plugged in but not charging too long they charge like $1/min or something to discourage you from just hogging a spot for hours. At the smaller stations it's nice given that I never charged for more than 20 or 30 minutes, but at a 40-stall Buccees it's kinda WTF.
    The DC fast chargers are so nice I didn't even try to look for a hotel with a slow AC charger but if you're headed to someplace in the sticks that's probably your only choice. (The battery pack is like 400V DC, so if you plug into a DC charger it can just dump 200+KW straight into the battery. Basically industrial power infrastructure. At a home or other places with 120 or 240V AC, the car has a built in converter to step up to the necessary voltage to charge, but it's not very efficient or fast since the circuit is about like an oven or HVAC unit.)

BJK likes this.
  18. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Idle fees only kick in if a station is at 50% or more capacity, so if its completely empty you don't have to worry about it.

BJK and PMiranda like this.