Pista Purchase Advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pista Purchase Advice

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Mickyd329, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I have to look back at what I was quoted but I dont recall it was anywhere near that much.

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Wow what’s the story behind this one?? What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The moral of the story is if you buy a regular production ( F8 ) or slightly limited production ( Pista) car as a prudent financial purchase or investment, you will be disappointed. Think of those who were required to buy a Lusso as a prerequisite to be offered an allocation for a Pista.

Boomhauer and MANDALAY like this.
  4. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    A little bit of background information:

I'm just an enthusiast (I'm not involved on the business side of things in any way, shape or form with regards to the automotive industry). I used to do the cars and coffee thing, rallies and then got bored with all of this. I mainly just track now a days. I am very active on Instagram and have a lot of followers who are Tech's, sales people, brokers, other enthusiasts, manufacture personnel, etc. In short, I have a lot of access to very informed people who correspond with me regularly).

I was tracking one year ago at a track in California. One of the other attendees who owned a race shop winded up striking a conversation with me and the subject of odometer roll backs came up. He had told me that it was very easy to do on Ferrari's and third party race shops were able to do it. I thought he was just boasting about it and an urban legend. I didn't give it much thought at the time.

Fast forward to the Pista in question. It had a unique red color to it and one that I didn't think I had seen before in person. I was at Buttonwillow and a pista pulled up and parked in the garage (I had seen this pista before in person at buttonwillow and laguna seca and knew the person who handled the car and had talked to the owner in the past). I asked him the color of the car because I thought it might be the same color of the car that I had agreed to buy. His english wasn't the greatest but I concluded it was the same color. I checked the wheels, calipers, stripe on the seat and then I started to get suspicious that this was the same car that I thought I was buying. I checked the VIN and bingo, it is the same car.

I had seen the same car at buttonwillow and laguna seca and it had been driven to the track and back to Los Angeles all 3 times. The driving mileage alone would have been about 1,100 miles and the car listing said 391 miles. I started talking to the guy and he got very nervous. He winded up leaving immediately. I talked to someone else who was at the track and he told me to stay far away from the car as it had its mileage rolled back a few time and had been driven everywhere and it had thousands of real miles on it.

I started to discuss this on my "close friends" list on instagram. This is a few hundred people who own these cars, are sales people, mechanics, tech's, owners from all the marques. The feedback that I received was that this does happen and may not be caught in PDI's. One of the Ferrari Tech's said that mileage is stored in multiple modules and if a person is sloppy then they may have not been able to change it in all modules. A lamborghini sales person said that this also occurs in Lamborghini's and he has personally rejected Lambo's on trades because it is easier to tell the roll backs.

Thecadster likes this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Imagine being the kind of guy that is so depraved and so broke, that you decide to roll back the miles on a Pista and then proceed to jam it onto some poor unsuspecting bloke. Karma is a..... They deserve whatever comes their way, the sooner, the better.

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #31 Coincid, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Another reason to buy new. I have heard stories about odometer roll backs on many car models, including Porsches and definitely on Ferraris and Lamborghini’s up to Gallardos.

MANDALAY and Thecadster like this.
  7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Not just immoral but also illegal. Would recommend referring this to the appropriate authorities. It’s not illegal to roll back your odometer, but it is illegal to roll back your odometer and then sell the car for a profit. It’s a felony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MANDALAY and Thecadster like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In most jurisdictions, the individual executing the roll back is guilty of a crime and the owner of the car is as well if he represents the fraudulent mileage of the car as accurate.

Thecadster likes this.
  9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I agree,
    Go for the higher spec car, particularly if it has carbon wheels as an option. You are the beneficiary of the initial hit.

10. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I don’t necessarily agree with your assertion of buy new. If I see a pristine F12 TDF do I pass because it is used? In any high end car one needs to do their due diligence.

11. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

I'm leaning in that direction. Just need to work out a deal.

12. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    The higher spec car has the ONE option that I wish I kept on my spec sheet. The kind salesperson I worked with didn't know any better and told me that BONC is a redundant option code to CEL2, which it certainly is NOT! I was quite disappointed once I realized it was too late to change this.

BONC is a full carbon rear frame for the rear window over the engine. It removes the two pneumatic pistons that hold the rear lid up and replaces it with an old school hood prop. This video, albeit made in pretty taste in music and style, shows the engine lid with the BONC option (at around 3:20s)

It's a super rare option that I don't see on many cars (as are a few other options on that car like the dreamlines and personalization plate <you might wanto get them to show you what's on that plate btw. hopefully it's not the name of someone's mistress).

13. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the info.

14. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    #39 Art138, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    It's a super rare option that I don't see on many cars (as are a few other options on that car like the dreamlines and personalization plate <you might wanto get them to show you what's on that plate btw. hopefully it's not the name of someone's mistress).[/QUOTE]​

Interesting; first I have seen with that piece of CF.

SECRET likes this.