355 - A/C compressor, engine out | FerrariChat

355 A/C compressor, engine out

Discussion in '348/355' started by spaghetti_jet, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So, I’m in the middle of dropping the engine from my 355...

The previous times I dropped the engine I took the car to have the R134 sucked out before starting work so I could just disconnect the lines to the A/C compressor and drop the whole subframe.

I read somewhere on here that it’s possible to unbolt the compressor and there’s enough clearance to drop the engine, saving the need to remove the refrigerant, so now that I’ve (finally) bought a lift I thought I’d try that method.

I’ve unbolted the compressor, it’s completely free, but I cannot see how there is enough clearance when I start to lift the body away from the subframe. It will snag for sure.

So my question is: has anybody here dropped the engine out of the 355 but leaving the compressor hooked up to the hoses?

Any tips or tricks? Should I unbolt the engine mount and lift the engine or is there another way?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Bob.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just have it sucked out. Save yourself a headache..

Beetle, MAD828, WATSON and 1 other person like this.
  3. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hindsight is a marvellous thing — that’s what I should have done and will do next time, but now the car is on the lift at my home, no way to take it anywhere and we are shielding, so we don’t want any mobile guy to come over right now, so I have to deal with it.

I refuse to let the gas into the atmosphere.

So, back to the original question... I know it’s been done, so please chime in.

4. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I'm afraid I have no knowledge on the 355 engine drop, but for what it's worth ( probably nothing) I've dropped my 348 engine twice with the A/C compressor lines hooked up. You have to fiddle around with it a bit, and as I recall on the 348 there is a large pipe carrying oil that has a ring bolt into the right front side of the block that gets in the way, so that has to be disconnected, and then you're good to go. One of the fuel filters is in that general area so maybe that needs to come out too, but I think it's just remove the compressor bracket, disconnect that oil pipe and move the compressor as needed as the sub frame comes down.. You need a bunch of string or zip ties to support the compressor once the engine is out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    I'll echo "pnicholasen'. That's the way one can do it on a 348! My next major will have it sucked dry... just way too much fiddling! I'm sure it took me 2 hours to screw around, twisting and rotating! As far as a 355, no idea as well, but I'm sure it would be a little different... maybe not even possible. So... hire a mobile guy to suck it out, and thank yourself for not adding to the planet's problems

6. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I am doing an engine out right now, they just let compressor hang in the lines, no problem at all.

7. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hi, is this on a 355? The cradle drops out and the mounting brackets for the compressor can pass by?

tack så mycket.

8. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes it's a F355.

I don't know exactly how they did it but they didn't disconnect the lines and let the compressor hang, it's a well known Ferrari independent who has down many engine out jobs.

Look at the pic below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

spaghetti_jet and Qavion like this.
  9. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Great! I’m nearly ready to lift the body off the motor, tomorrow or Monday work commitments permitting. Thanks a lot for the photo, I’m feeling more confident about the compressor now.

10. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Well, that photo shows how useless my comments were regarding my 348 because apparently the compressor is on the port side in the 355 instead of the starboard like the 348.
    Just remember even if it takes an hour of figuring out how to wiggle it free, it's still way faster than pulling your front trunk liner out to access the A/C ports, taking it someplace to drain the refrigerant, then taking it back to refill it ( hopefully correctly) and refit the trunk liner.

spaghetti_jet likes this.
  11. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Success!

It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. Lift the car & rotate the compressor 90 degrees.

Depending how fiddly it is to reassemble this might become my new standard method. As PNICHOLASEN says, it’s a lot less hassle than going to to get the freon pulled out.

I’ll report back on how tricky it is (or not) going back in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

GatedF355GTB, Qavion, lanab and 2 others like this.
  12. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Cleanest garage floor EVER!

13. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    :D Thanks!

people have to wipe their feet when they come into my garage....

A348W likes this.
  14. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Obviously no older English cars reside there.

15. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    not right now, and you're dead right, those old British cars with scroll "seals" on the front crank leak no matter what.

16. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just to report back per post 11: I’ve now re-installed the engine and from now on I’m going to leave the A/C compressor hanging rather than get all the freon evacuated when I do the engine out.

The compressor slotted into position as I lowered the car body by rotating the compressor as it comes down.

I managed it by myself, lowering a few cm at a time and feeding the compressor in, I was really leisurely and took maybe 5 or 10 mins. If I’d had a helper it would have been done in one hit.

Bolting it all back up was a bit fiddly, especially the tensioner, but still way less hassle & time than going to a commercial shop twice for their A/C machine.

Qavion likes this.