Retrofit Apple CarPlay to 2020 Portofino | FerrariChat

Retrofit Apple CarPlay to 2020 Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by COTB1977, Feb 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. COTB1977

COTB1977 Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    PAV
    Bought an almost new 2020 Portofino which didn't have CarPlay on it. Dealer says that it can't be retrofitted which is really frustrating. From what I understand, the only difference is software for the infotainment system, and the USB jack in the glovebox having 2 ports instead of 1. Seems crazy that the dealer can't do this aftermarket. Has anybody managed to do this successfully? Any help would be really appreciated as I would love the functionality.

2. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    Hi Philip - I've seen two part numbers from Ferrari that seem to be for a retrofit kit 70005271 and 70005280 - not sure what the difference is between the two. Description is 'Kit Smartphone Interface Portofino'. Maybe quoting those part numbers will help your dealer. Cost in the UK for each is £2,320 plus VAT so not cheap!

3. COTB1977

COTB1977 Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    PAV
    That's really helpful. Thank you! Will try that!

Would love to hear from any owners who have actually managed to do the upgrade!

4. Christopher Zraybi

Sep 22, 2020
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Zray
    I too would be very interested. My dealer said almost impossible to add Apple CarPlay as the whole infotainment system will need replacing and different wiring has to be added.

5. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Who cares? Why bother. Just connect your phone as a bluetooth player to the existing system.

6. CCallaud

CCallaud Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    C
    If you live in an area with a lot of traffic, being able to get dynamic routing with Wave, Appel Maps or Google Maps, is super handy.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes I totally agree but just get a suction cup phone holder that goes on the left of the steering wheel, much better to have right there than on the screen anyway, that’s what I do.

montegoblue likes this.
  8. COTB1977

COTB1977 Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    PAV
    Checked both these part numbers with the dealer and same story...not possible! So I guess I am indeed stuck with bluetooth audio and just using the phone...

9. CCallaud

CCallaud Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    C
    Has anybody seen or tried this solution?
    https://www.amazon.com/BOYO-Vision-VTHUDpro-Head-Up-Display/dp/B089CQZLW5/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=RwpSn&pf_rd_p=49ff6d7e-521c-4ccb-9f0a-35346bfc72eb&pf_rd_r=3VMSRXSZTSNN3D368HP7&pd_rd_r=3ee72369-c842-44ce-bc6e-5c46ce66b5c9&pd_rd_wg=Oxn3x&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

Would only be interested in thee Carplay HUD part of the functionality: I am still looking for a way to get Apple Maps and/or Waze navigation without cluttering my dashboard with a phone holder...

10. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    Um, please tell me you’re not going to put that device in a Ferrari Portofino.

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    you don’t want to clutter your dash with a small holder for your phone but you want to install that abomination?

12. CCallaud

CCallaud Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    C
    Ha ha ha... I was not expecting this kind of reaction. Well, I guess, to each its own.

13. Cipohealey

Cipohealey Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    London
    I’m in the UK and have had it carried out successfully. A separate Jack in the glovebox was fitted. I’d challenge your dealer to speak to the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

sjr6663 and whatheheck like this.
  14. COTB1977

COTB1977 Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    PAV
    Really...has anybody else managed to do this? Any advice appreciated...this would be really helpful for me...

15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I don’t get this at all, apple play is so crap, have your phone on a holder, connect via cable or bluetooth and play/run whatever you want on your phone.

16. COTB1977

COTB1977 Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    PAV
    Thanks so much for the advice and your opinion on CarPlay. Any other helpful advice would be appreciated!

17. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Try Gary on https://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk

I have used them before. If anyone has an excellent solution - it will be these guys.

Their service was superb.

18. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    ps my Portofino M is on order with no apple carplay! Plus if you start messing around with the software you are going to void the warranty.

russellmcg likes this.
  19. sjr6663

sjr6663 Rookie

Aug 7, 2022
    Full Name:
    Portofino M
    Can you let me know where you had to done. I really miss a good sat nav!
    SJR

20. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    I have a Porto without Carplay. I use the standard navigation which is pretty good for getting from A to B, but otherwise limited. You could go onto Google maps or Apple maps before you leave to look at traffic as the Porto navigation does not show real time traffic :mad: and use the standard screen to actually get you there. I use the phone via Bluetooth for music but you can also plug it in. I really wish they would release an update for their maps and Navigation software but i may as well wish for the tooth fairy to turn up at my bed.:rolleyes:

21. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    Hi - which UK dealer did you use please and are there any part numbers quoted on the invoice?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat