NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 68 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I suggested the NA V12 with 800hp already in service. Repurposing the best engine in the history of the universe into a ME platform makes tremendous sense. Green dreams and regulations notwithstanding.

2. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Totally agree. That would be kind of Ferrari's "GT3" and therefore the enthusiasts' choice.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    There is a stored Testarossa in the basement of my dealership. The Testarossa is surrounded by mostly modern day Ferraris in for service. Every time I bring my cars in for service, I notice how much smaller the 12 cylinder Testarossa is compared to modern day Ferraris. Next to a 488, it looks like a toy.

4. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    180”Lx77”Wx48”H 488 vs
    176.4”Lx77.8Wx44.7H 512TR

TR lower and wider
    488 is longer

Imagine the 812’s glorious motor in a lightweight and simple mid engine layout with a manual trans. Option paddles since I might choose that coupled with this motor.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LARRYH, jpalmito and of2worlds like this.
  5. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Remember that the 512BB/Testarossa/512 TR/512M had a flat V 12, so it would be lower due to packaging. Then there are the requisite safety equipment that have come with time.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The new MacLaren ARTURA V6 TT battery . Is this the 765 replacement ? or have they just made a new category.

Will they build something else with more power than the Artura to compete against the SF90 ?

If they dont LB will have more than the Artura

7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Just like a V12, flat 12 would be fine by me. Even cooler. There is a 512 at the dealer, too. Also 308’s and 328’s. And 412’s. They all look like toys next to any of the more modern Ferraris.

Understood that the newer cars are bigger by necessity, but still believe a 12C MRE is still possible without bloating it out.

babgh likes this.
  8. babgh

babgh Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Unless they do a "lexus" and make a small v10 or v12 as compact as a v6, and as light as a v8 but retains the v12 power. But hey we all know ferrari is always building excellent engines and that is their trademark.

9. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Apparently, it seems that the Artura sits above the Mclaren GT, but below the 720s/765LT. Historically, Mclaren replaces a model after the LT, so maybe there will be Super Series (720 S) replacement.

10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    For those curious, Mclaren is ditching the sports/super/ultimate series designations. They’re also ditching the numbering systems all together for naming the cars. From now on, like the Elva, Senna, Artura they’ll all be actual names.

11. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Bigger Engines are Returning to Porsche :D

F2003-GA likes this.
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    “How much difference can an engine and an exhaust make...all the difference”.
    Ferrari turbo engine lovers can still buy the older quiet Porsches though.

therryzsx likes this.
  13. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Ferrari has spent hundreds of millions on R&D for the V6 in use in F1. This power plant will be detuned/retuned to work in their road going cars and sync with batteries as we all know. Keeping the size at 3.0 litre allows tax benefits for many countries.

However, there is a lot of speculation that Ferrari may never likely go pure EV. ICE that run on synthetic fuels as mentioned previously is a very strong possibility to avoid the concern that pure EV’s offer no emotional driving experience. There is also a possibility large displacement engines continue if customers are willing to absorb the built in tax that would come for the engine not being emission compliant.

I’d be willing to bet the concerns raised by many passionate members of this forum regarding engines/hybrids/EV’s are well discussed in Maranello and the creative minds there will continue to capture our attention.

ScrappyB likes this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The F1 engine (ICE) is a stressed-member, single-turbo 1.6 L 90 degree V6–as imposed by the rules and part of a complex PU with MGU-H and MGU-K—and has nothing to do with this engine.

stavura, Doug23, MassAppeal and 2 others like this.
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    ingegnere likes this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Almost feels like M-B will absorb A-M. Maybe will trade the F1 team to Stroll in return for the street car division and make it a sub-brand.

Senna1994 and jpalmito like this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    MassAppeal and jpalmito like this.
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    ingegnere likes this.
  20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Reminds me a bit of the Dany Bahar Fiasco at Lotus.

crinoid and ingegnere like this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    So true !
    +1000

ingegnere and Senna1994 like this.
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Regarding the Valkyrie, it seems that Lawrence stroll funded the end of the project to bring it to a close. Anyway, I find it strange not to see a single photo of a prototype during a road test. What will be the degree of development of the car at the end?

MassAppeal and Senna1994 like this.
  23. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That is a great question, will it continue even if it were to use a AMG Powertrain? It almost seems like AM is not sure. Also I saw the concept in person back in 2019, and they are speaking about it coming out in 2023 which seems like an eternity now. What is the status of Valkrie as well? Any idea when those cars will be delivered?

jpalmito likes this.
  24. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    1 million euros for a car with a 4 cylinders engine ?
    This story is even worse compared with the Jaguar xj220´s one.:p

ingegnere and Senna1994 like this.
  25. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #1700 ingegnere, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    This story has a picture of one on the road:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1127494_aston-martin-valkyrie-deliveries-to-start-mid-2021

As this is essentially a single-seater race car (check the width of the cockpit) pretty sure it’ll get limited road use, so winter testing—and other tests—in the arctic circle was probably not part of the development plan.

Also, if the V6 gets dropped from the Valhalla, this will mean the planned cheaper Vanquish will also lose the AM V6–if that car still exists in their plans.